I have a bone to pick with a lot of fallout 4 pc mod authors.

xXAlScarfaceCaponeXx

I agree that a new engine is in order, they can't keep adding more and more duct tape to the current one. Unreal would be a good choice, if the developer provides the tools it would be easy to mod while the game itself would look and run better, CD Projekt have been sensible enough to make the switch, Bethesda should as well because Starfield looks like a 2016 game.

I can't see Microsoft wanting to give away 5% of its gross revenues across a number of game IPs in order to use Unreal Engine, although they could undoubtedly negotiate a lower percentage with Epic. With Microsoft's talent pool and resources and particularly with the recent additions to its stable of game studios it would make more sense long-term to invest in its own proprietary tech, whether that's existing game engines they've acquired, or developing new ones.

But if they did use UE it would be awesome for modding I would think.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either way, they need a new engine. The issue is which one, and how long are they going to be in development before technological change makes what they are working with irrelevant?

If you have a 3-4 year development cycle, that kind of change doesn't force your hand.

If you piddle around with a project for a decade, yeah, by the time you release it it's already long obsolete by industry standards.

Literally every IP they have (Bethesda) is falling into that trap - it's been that long since they have released anything. All they have been doing is reusing old assets to make "new" content. i.e. the whole "online" venture.

Edited by fraquar

I agree that a new engine is in order, they can't keep adding more and more duct tape to the current one. Unreal would be a good choice, if the developer provides the tools it would be easy to mod while the game itself would look and run better, CD Projekt have been sensible enough to make the switch, Bethesda should as well because Starfield looks like a 2016 game.

I can't see Microsoft wanting to give away 5% of its gross revenues across a number of game IPs in order to use Unreal Engine, although they could undoubtedly negotiate a lower percentage with Epic. With Microsoft's talent pool and resources and particularly with the recent additions to its stable of game studios it would make more sense long-term to invest in its own proprietary tech, whether that's existing game engines they've acquired, or developing new ones.

But if they did use UE it would be awesome for modding I would think.

I have no doubt that the real reason up to this point for not using it is an unwillingness to pay but Microsoft don't seem to have an issue with it, there are a lot of Microsoft games that use it, the Gears of War games for a start, there are three I know of in development at the moment, Avowed, Gears 6 and Redfall, the latter even being published by Bethesda.

I have a bone to pick with someone that has been a member for almost 2 years, makes the same post more than once, whose total contribution to the mods is endorsing 2 over a year ago. No files uploaded, no images uploaded, no videos and no friends. All this with a total of three items in the comments section with the same title.

So, OP, what have you contributed to the site in the past two years? Nothing and yet you have the nerve to post criticism towards mod authors that are responsible for keeping this site up and running.

The issue with the engine is that in order to use something like Unreal Bethesda would have to hack the hell out of it in order to have the features they require. Which would put it in much the same place as the engine they've been developing for decades.

Have you actually done any development in UE?

The issue with the engine is that in order to use something like Unreal Bethesda would have to hack the hell out of it in order to have the features they require. Which would put it in much the same place as the engine they've been developing for decades.

They could speak to Obsidian, The Outer Worlds had just about every system Bethesda would need and they added those on an indie budget, it couldn't have been that expensive or time consuming.

Outer Worlds also had very limited "open world" and was nearly as bug-ridden as a Bethesda game (though, mostly in terms of quests and weird game mechanics). I also don't recall Outer Worlds having anything similar to the Radiant AI system.

I noted your tactical avoidance of my previous question. Bugs can be due to poor QA and deficient workflow processes, not necessarily due to the engine itself. The impression I get from your comment is that the Radiant AI system is somehow innovative or difficult to code/implement. It isn't. You could probably find a similar system in the UE marketplace and even if not it would be relatively straightforward to create one in UE itself.

Sorry, I didn't see your post.

No, I don't do any development in UE. But it seems to me that the amount of customization required to turn UE into a replacement for for the Creation Engine just wouldn't be worth it. There's just as much chance of introducing new bugs as there is of eliminating any.

They definitely seem to prefer to continue working in the engine they are familiar with.

I'll admit, I'm not an expert. But neither is anyone screaming for them to start over with a new engine.

Plus, I have bad memories of all the other games that kept trying to switch to new engines and it just becoming a nightmare.