About american mountains

Zorkaz

I don't think we do that sort of marking here. Actually, none of our mountains rise to extreme heights compared to the Himalia's and such....Mostly, they just climb up them and ski down them. :)
Oh, and as showler posted......mountain climbers are a strange bunch, some of them are obsessed and care about nothing other than climbing. They live day by day and don't worry about the effect they have on the surrounding communities and such. Not all, but enough to mark them as undesirables in general.

Piles of trash from climbers, mostly.

At least that's the same in Europe :P

Contrary to the OP, here in Europe most peaks have nothing. Only very few have a cross. (usually the highest peak in a region) Some have a building (a restaurant, or for stargazing etc.) or a 'old fashioned' pile of rocks. (the idea being that you add a rock to the pile, when you reach the summit)

Somehow I don't think it's a lot different across the Atlantic.

I would personally refrain from using crosses. As an atheist, I have absolutely nothing with such symbols & it looks like Fallout deliberately stays away from (existing) religions. Adding new ones (children of Atom) to deal with religious questions.

In the end it doesn't really matter, imho. As the Fallout universe is on a different path. It 'separated' in the 1950's, starting an alternative 'timeline' (70 years ago), which leads to a war in 2077 (still 55 years into our future...) ANYTHING can happen in this roughly 125 year period. It can be whatever you want it to be (as long as it doesn't contradict the fallout lore) & then there is the 210 years since the war, during which a lot can happen as well.

For gameplay I would rather go for a building of some kind, so there's a good reason to visit the top.

This of course being my 2 cents ;)