⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

detailed effects and physics relevant for better gaming experience ?

xrayy

for example i see many effects and physics comparisons on youtube. rdr2 with its fantastic game engine is mostly the winner of these comparisons. also botw has nice physics.

what are these comparisons good for and do they influence your gaming experience?

too bad physics and effects can ruin a game for sure. as long as there is is nothing game braking or some lesser sophisticated effects contribute to a smoother gaming experience while not ruining the entertainment and game play experience this has no impact on me if i like a game or not. i still like the skyrim package with its visuals even if the physics are out of date and not comparable with rdr2 and botw.

It can definitely make or break a game.

There's an underground area in Fallout 4 where the physics are absolutely horrible. All the bodies wiggle like their infested with worms, dead turrets rattle constantly, things are hard to target to pick up.

Its just a sucky area to be in.

Then too, there's that wiggling effect on a lot of the corpses. Especially WHEN they get Stuck inside of, or to something. Oh. their hand fell in the water, the damned corpse now permanently has convulsions!

Then there's the hugely humorous throwing of bodies 40+ yards into the air. That's an engine "feature", as it's been in most of their games.

Fallout 4 does have some pretty good ragdoll physics tho, aside from those bugs. GTAV also has some really good ragdoll physics. As well as crash physics for the cars.

there are these hilarious and obvious bugs, yes. my focus is more on the differences in detail. like a burning arrow and comparing the resulting fire in game a and game b or how splashing water appears. does this makes a relevant difference between two games at all? i saw this kind of comparison first on youtube. while i thought this was an empiric study of some differences people used that as evidence that game a is better than game b because of the differences which in my opinion sounds more like nonsense or a joke.

what is annoying and heartbreaking is the skyrim mammoth sometimes falling out of the sky and which is instantly dead touching the ground :wink: