"The Primary Tool for (Game) is No Longer Available, Quick Launch Has Reverted to the Games Executable"

DrHoboMd

As the title says, i started receiving this error completely out of the blue. No files were added or changed on Vortex. Just decided it no longer wanted to work. Nothing i've done in the interface has been able to correct this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Starfield, but this is happening in multiple games for me, red dead, cyber punk.

I haven't been able to find a specific solution to this problem anywhere on the internet. The only solution i've seen was specifically for skyrim, not applicable for my issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Starfield, but this is happening in multiple games for me, red dead, cyber punk.

I haven't been able to find a specific solution to this problem anywhere on the internet. The only solution i've seen was specifically for skyrim, not applicable for my issue.

This is happening to me too. I think it is because I disabled the script extender. I am waiting for more mods that use it to come out and given how often Starfield will be patching at this early stage, the script extender will be updating every time so I am just waiting. Apparently disabling it was enough for Vortex to crack the shits though and its been being a pain ever since. There is no option to stop the error, despite there being no actual error, just a choice I made not to use the script extender right now.

If you disable the Script Extender, this is what the message is telling you.

SFSE was set as the primary tool (i.e. when you click the launch button in the top left of Vortex) and it can no longer start the game from that option, so it will fall back to the Starfield.exe file.

• 6 months later...

I just booted game from original and it loaded then shut down rebooted in vortex without extender then as game was loading I turned it back on the script extension and it works fine I even had an error saying it won't work (script extension) due to it being a Microsoft download I did the same it loads and works with both in vortex now 

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2023 at 12:15 PM, Pickysaurus said:

If you disable the Script Extender, this is what the message is tell you.

SFSE was set as the primary tool (i.e. when you click the launch button in the top left of Vortex) and it can no longer start the game from that option, so it will fall back to the Starfield.exe file.

Maybe tell Vortex to specify what primary tool it's talking about, like :
"Script Extender for (Game) is No Longer Available, Quick Launch Has Reverted to the Games Executable"

it'll stop te confusion