New Forum Feedback

Pickysaurus

5 minutes ago, showler said:

Black Tree is far too small a company to be able to make their own customized forum software.  They have no choice but to use what is available for purchase/lease from a company like Invision Community.

They will likely work on making things better over time, but for now they need to get the basic functions working properly  and reliably.  Adding Themes or other customizations at this point would likely make things harder.

And the main thing to remember is that this was absolutely necessary.  The integration of the forums and the website was preventing either of those sides from being updated.  This was causing security concerns and performance concerns.

It's been a week since the new forums went live.  They're not going to catch up to twenty years of customization in a week.

You get it, thank you. What you've written is exactly what I was about to write.

We've had to make a tough business decision which has some short-term pains for some long-term gains. Our reliance on the forums for site functionality at the time of doing it (in 2004) was the right decision, but now, almost 20 years later, it drastically hinders our ability to do even the most basic of things (like upgrading to the new version of the software for security updates). We've been putting off having to make this change for a long time but now our goals require us to move forward at a much faster pace and now was the time to rip the band-aid off and make this change. It is absolutely, 100% the right choice for Nexus Mods and its future, but I appreciate why users are sad and/or annoyed at the loss of some functionality. We'll work to restore at least some of this functionality in the not-too-distant future while other things (like Friends) will not be coming back.

What would be really helpful in this particular thread, is to know which features are under your - Nexus Mods - control and which are not. We do understand that some limitations are inherent to the software you use, but we have no idea what they are. Hence suggestions that you cannot implement, frustration on both sides, etc. Nobody wants to waste their time making suggestions that are impossible to implement, you know.

59 minutes ago, LenaWolfBravil said:

image.thumb.png.529fb94af1b4de8d8a0df2ebba921ea5.png

This is Browse -> Top Games. Something wrong with fonts or labels? Something is definitely wrong though.

Are you using some kind of font replacer? Also looks like quite a compact browser view? I can't duplicate this here.

27 minutes ago, LenaWolfBravil said:

What would be really helpful in this particular thread, is to know which features are under your - Nexus Mods - control and which are not. We do understand that some limitations are inherent to the software you use, but we have no idea what they are. Hence suggestions that you cannot implement, frustration on both sides, etc. Nobody wants to waste their time making suggestions that are impossible to implement, you know.

Pickysaurus mentioned that there will be an upcoming News Article that will go into detail about this.

48 minutes ago, Demorphic said:

Are you using some kind of font replacer? Also looks like quite a compact browser view? I can't duplicate this here.

If it helps, comparing what she posted to my view when I narrow my browser window to get the single column of games, it looks like most of the users with default avatars (no custom image for it) in the list of community members under the game have had the default avatar replaced with something else.  It is hard to see from all the overlap, but it may be their user names.  Mousing over the avatars in those lists produces a double mouse-over popup, one with text saying "Go to Name's profile", and another larger one with profile information for that user.  The larger window does contain some text of the color and size that the jumbled text is in her image.  Her browser or settings, etc, may be having problems with the double mouse-over.

Edit:  Scaling affecting the fonts is probably a factor.

Edited by Eolhin
spelling

41 minutes ago, Demorphic said:

No font replacers. This is simply fairly low resolution - 1600x900 with 150% scaling. Nothing special done to the web page. It is probably scaling that does it. This is Win 10, if that makes a difference.

What is that text anyway? Are they user handles or something? Perhaps I can adjust the browser here to show it better.

EDIT: I didn't mouse over, this is just how the page shows. It will be the font scaling, I should think. Not scaling in the browser - this is general Windows scaling in the Settings -> Display. (And I've already been to the SpecSavers. 😉 )

Edited by LenaWolfBravil

9 minutes ago, LenaWolfBravil said:

No font replacers. This is simply fairly low resolution - 1600x900 with 150% scaling. Nothing special done to the web page. It is probably scaling that does it. This is Win 10, if that makes a difference.

What is that text anyway? Are they user handles or something? Perhaps I can adjust the browser here to show it better.

Here is what mine looks like, see my note on what might be causing it above.

Edit:  Scaling affecting the fonts is probably also the problem.

Forum mess.JPG

Edited by Eolhin

3 hours ago, LenaWolfBravil said:

I would like to suggest to simplify naming of things. Call things what they are in plain English. For example, at the top of the page you have "+Create" button that opens a submenu with a single item "Topic". Given that this is a forum, why not replace the whole thing with a simple button named "Start a new topic". Wouldn't that be clearer?

Similarly, rather than use a vague and generic "activity", why not just say "posts", since this is the only type of activity you can have in a forum? Then instead of "activity streams" you would have "subscribed topics" for example? Or something like that?

Equally, I think there's a difference between "content" and "post". "Content" in my view would be a screenshot, a video or a mod, given the nature of this website. Not a comment in a topic. So when I see a button "find content", I expect to find actual media or mods posted by that user, not every comment they ever made. If I wanted to see their posts, I would expect a "find posts" button.

I couldn't agree more!  The naming of things here right now is very counter-intuitive, and thus hard to navigate.  I clicked on 'find content' under a user in the hopes of seeing what mods they had created, if any, as the mod-side profile had no link.  I just hope that the names of the categories is something they can change without too much difficulty, even if the software does not let them change the structure.  Your suggestions for replacement names sound very practical and intuitive.