Why do we care all that much??

JediMasterTallyn

So I am not sure what the latest non sense over this time, nor do I really  care, but apparently people are once again up in  arms over what some famous idiot said about something. 

Why do we care what these  bozo's say in the first place? The only time I really care about these people are when they are in front of me doing something entertaining. Whether that is on a screen on a stage or in a book.

I have always viewed this B.S. the same way I viewed Axel Rose in the 90's. The man was a giant deuce,  a womanizer a drunk and a drug addict and he did not give two shits about anyone but himself. But the he also had pipes, and I enjoyed and still enjoy the music of GnR. So yes I still bought his albums. While at the same time saying he is a prick and I do not like anything he stands for. See you can have it both ways. 

Honestly I think a better reaction would be, "We do not care; we pay you for entertainment; not for your opinion. Now dance, sing, or do something funny."

If I want an opinion about something I will come here or goggle it, I NEVER check twitter, or x, or "the toxic wasteland of the internet"; what ever it is called these days.

So I ask again why do we care what these rich assholes think about anything? Wanna disagree with them? Ok fine disagree, but why care all that much when you do? Why not just be like "meh he/she is a entitled rich idiot anyway" and move on with your life. 

Or is this a  "Enquirer" thing? Because I honestly never understood why anyone did more that read the cover of that publication; (what even is it a paper a magazine what?); for good laugh. TLJ's endorsement in MIB exempted.

So, Thoughts? 

13 hours ago, JediMasterTallyn said:

So I am not sure what the latest non sense over this time, nor do I really  care, but apparently people are once again up in  arms over what some famous idiot said about something. 

Why do we care what these  bozo's say in the first place? The only time I really care about these people are when they are in front of me doing something entertaining. Whether that is on a screen on a stage or in a book.

I have always viewed this B.S. the same way I viewed Axel Rose in the 90's. The man was a giant deuce,  a womanizer a drunk and a drug addict and he did not give two shits about anyone but himself. But the he also had pipes, and I enjoyed and still enjoy the music of GnR. So yes I still bought his albums. While at the same time saying he is a prick and I do not like anything he stands for. See you can have it both ways. 

Honestly I think a better reaction would be, "We do not care; we pay you for entertainment; not for your opinion. Now dance, sing, or do something funny."

If I want an opinion about something I will come here or goggle it, I NEVER check twitter, or x, or "the toxic wasteland of the internet"; what ever it is called these days.

So I ask again why do we care what these rich assholes think about anything? Wanna disagree with them? Ok fine disagree, but why care all that much when you do? Why not just be like "meh he/she is a entitled rich idiot anyway" and move on with your life. 

Or is this a  "Enquirer" thing? Because I honestly never understood why anyone did more that read the cover of that publication; (what even is it a paper a magazine what?); for good laugh. TLJ's endorsement in MIB exempted.

So, Thoughts? 

We DON'T care. However, they like to pretend that their opinion is actually meaningful in some way. After all, doesn't "Influencer" sound more important than "entertainer"? 😄

You say that and yet canceling someone for their views is a thing, it is not longer enough to disagree with them now we are required to destroy the life of someone we barely know because their world view is different than ours? 

F that.

I refuse to say you cannot say think feel pray or love in what ever way you wish. Now I will DEBATE about whether or not you should do those things. But saying you cannot, no that is not who I am I refuse to FORCE my world view down someone else's throat or make them feel that how the think pray feel or love is wrong in any way.

• 2 weeks later...

If Star Wars taught me anything it's "only sith deal in absolutes". The dark side of the force attracts those who let anger, jealousy and hate consume their hearts and hate leads to suffering.

Do not choose sides, choose peace.

On a less star wars-y note though, I avoid anything trending like the plague, I raise an eye at any news story and if you think you're gunna bait me into yelling at a random online for flavor of the week news story. Well I gotta better things to do, and that's really it. I can't communicate with someone who's spitting at me.

Entitlement. Seems to be the new social disease. I deeply admire the people who make s#*! happen and don't crave excessive attention or praise. Thankfully there's still a lot of them and you just don't know it because they hardly ever say anything.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure what the exact topic here is, but I have a couple of comments about stuff I see already posted.

Regarding something like a musician whose character, behaviour, and/or actions are questionable, but their music is good: 
1) If you consider the music (product) separate from the musician (producer), you can enjoy the music while despising the musician.
2) If you don't make the distinction between product and producer: you either dislike the product purely because of the producer, even if you would enjoy it if its producer was different, or don't avoid the product but feel like you should.

As for caring about what rich/famous/influential people think or say:
1) If it's someone in a position where they can affect your life (e.g. a high-ranking political figure in your country, or the owner of a social media platform you use), then, depending on the opinion, it can be only natural to care, as it might affect you.
2) If it's some "influencer" or generic celebrity (e.g. an actor or a musician), especially one who plays no role in your life, then there's no reason to care. Many people do, but I really don't see any reason to. 

There are exceptions, of course; for example, if Celebrity X clearly expresses advocating for something truly heinous, that is worth caring about. Not because of the person, but because of the advocation.

(Anyone who tries to force their views down others' throats absolutely should be ignored, no matter who they are. The more obnoxious they are the more thorough ignoring they deserve.)

• 2 weeks later...

Which way to go first. 

Do we care because we believe that fame (or notoriety) grants to the rich and famous an air of infallibility, giving their voice weight and meaning?

Do we care because it gives us a chance to hunt for the hypocrisy which may exist and thus allow us an oppurtunity to expose the speakers "feet of clay"?

Do we care because squeaky wheels get greased and sometimes that grease is a negative consequence; and we all enjoy seeing high profile ne'er-do-wells getting their just rewards?

Do we care because when someone with an elevated social standing expresses an opinion with which we agree, we foolishly believe our social standing is also elevated?

Do we care because we are too lazy or too stupid to think for ourselves and need someone else to do our thinking for us, and some famous loudmouth we like adequately fills the niche?

Do we care because we believe the voices of our "leaders" absolve us of any responsibility for the direction our lives, our community, our nation or our world may journey?

Or, do we care because we don't really "care", and joining the flock is just the easy thing to do?