Vortex not downloading mods through nexus links

TruestNim
Go to solution Solved by Pickysaurus,

Hey,
So I've got this weird issue with vortex where it doesn't download mods when I click on download with mod manager. My firefox is setup to redirect nxm links to vortex, and somehow Vortex does recognize I clicked the download button, it just doesn't do anything. I ran Vortex as admin to check, and when I click the download with manager button, I get a Vortex UAC prompt, and if I click Yes, nothing happens. The only way to download mods is to paste the direct nxm link in the URL section of the downloads page, but if I want to download more than one mod, it is not feasible. Also reinstalling Vortex is not an option as I have a very heavy modlist that reinstalling would break. Anyone have any clue as to what's happening ?

Have you tried running Firefox in a safe mode to see if it is related to any extensions you might have?  I would try Chrome too just to isolate it to the browser or Vortex or something in between.  If it works in Chrome then you know the problem is probably Firefox configuration.  If it doesn't work in Chrome, it's related to either your Vortex config or something in Windows that isn't allowing apps to be linked from the browser.  I don't know too much about how that works.

Also I've re-installed Vortex on top of an existing install several times and it does not wipe anything.  It probably does not fix any problems either but harm does not come of it.  If you want to a deeper wipe and re-install, like delete everything Vortex and try again, I notice there is a database backup feature in Vortex settings, not totally sure what it does but I think it allows a backup and restore of your metadata.

You probably already know but if your Vortex login has timed out, it doesn't really tell you that but it does time out, Vortex links from the Nexus will no longer work but they do throw an error (perhaps you are not seeing it for some reason).  The top right ellipses in Vortex has an option to "refresh user info" that will log you back in.  I often have to hit that first if I haven't downloaded in an hour or so, or the Nexus Vortex links will not work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the same issue, but I was able to use Firefox before to download mods through Vortex with no issue. I think my problem arose when I tried Mod Organizer for a few hours for a comparison and allowed it to handle NXM links. I have since uninstalled MO2, but the issue persists. Using a different browser works though, but I prefer Firefox. Oh well.

2 hours ago, joezilla29 said:

I have the same issue, but I was able to use Firefox before to download mods through Vortex with no issue. I think my problem arose when I tried Mod Organizer for a few hours for a comparison and allowed it to handle NXM links. I have since uninstalled MO2, but the issue persists. Using a different browser works though, but I prefer Firefox. Oh well.

Please check out the help link in the post immediately above yours. 

4 hours ago, joezilla29 said:

1 hour ago, Pickysaurus said:

Please check out the help link in the post immediately above yours. 

Yah, you need to change a setting in Firefox itself.  See Mozilla Support: Changing download actions.  Look for "nxm" in that settings pane.

Edited by AaronOfMpls