User Profile and Direct Messaging Improvements Beta

JustThatKing

• I don't like that mods are now sorted by default by "most downloaded" and media by "most viewed". I want the "most recent" sorting back, or at least an option like that in the settings (just like we can customize the sorting in search in the settings).
  • I agree with all the people who say that everything in the profile is too big. I would like the elements to be smaller (mods, media), but their number on the page would be more.
  • Avatar and "banner"(or rather, emptiness instead of banner). If you choose to make them larger, it should make sense. For example, being able to upload larger avatars(because right now they look blurry) and being able to upload a picture to the banner. 
  • Bring back the normal display of dates (like "01 Nov 2023" instead of "4 months ago") and the display of the badge of already downloaded mods/mods that are available for update. It's just more informative. 
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, LenaWolfBravil said:

This is what I mean about an enormous banner at the top of the page. This is what the profile page looks like at 1600x900. The old format is shown below for comparison. I know which one I find more informative and useful.

tmp.thumb.jpg.80efcee57907f90289e565f5233fabdc.jpg

Here is the current (old) format for comparison.

The "enormous banner at the top of the page" is due to your ad-blocker, which is over 50% of the screenshot. We need to run adverts to fund the petabytes of file downloads Nexus Mods provides entirely for free. We will not be changing UI elements to accommodate ad-blockers for free users of the site.

3 hours ago, ballingerred said:

I'm probably just a luddite who fears change but honestly the new layout's... pretty bad. Like when then try to modernize a website by making the whole thing 6 giant ambiguous buttons with a labyrinth of sub-pages? It's the worst.

• You can only see like three mods per row no matter how you scale the page. That's just inefficient, but I do think it'll be fixed.
  • I'm premium, so I guess I'm not sure how the ads are supposed to look, but on my preview they devour the whole page lol. I mean just look at it. It's like a shrine to consumerism.
  • There's now a much larger banner area at the top you have to scroll down past before you can even see your files. For a narcissistic daily checker like me, that's like hundreds of extra miles I might have to scroll every week.

New:

Screenshot 2024-02-28 122544234.png

The distance you have to scroll and the fact that you are being shown Ads as a Premium user is because you are not signed in, you can see this in the screenshot you submitted. Let us know what you think specifically about this once you are signed in.

We are going to look at the "amount of mods displayed per line" on the mods tab, as per the feedback we have received.

• Like 1

The exact dates of upload and update are super important to see at a glance, as well as a "downloaded" tag. Three oversized mod columns have somehow less room for a description than before. I have to scroll more, so that's not an effective use of space and also annoying to use. There's so much less information on the page than before. I feel like the design is kind of form over function for that reason alone. Otherwise, it's pretty! But please add more columns! And keep sort by "last updated"! But most importantly it needs more columns!

• Like 5

I'd be pretty interested in hearing a conversational description of why certain UI design choices were made. Personally, I enjoy most bits and dislike a few here and there, and see both great and not-so great suggestions in this thread too. 

Coloration: N/A, I'm using the dark reader extension and that actually seems to warm and bring the tones closer together. The only glitch it causes is the (perhaps, as pointed out, redundant?) profile icon on every mod, the little backplate on it is white. Which is not a nexus issue anyways.

Size of things: I think a mix of compacting the margins and shrinking elements to achieve at least 4, if not 5 items per row would be better. I definitely agree text should be top-aligned per card shown. However, I disagree that the content of the posts is so important on this page - I think of the mod list as a series of youtube thumbnails that is faster to navigate than text-heavy content for less technical people (and of which there are more of than us). It probably would be easier/cheaper to provide automatic translation services for a simpler layout like that, *if that is in the future cards*. /shrug/, I just think the short bit they show now is fine. You aren't downloading from this page or using it to figure things out, its really just a content library and feed log relevant to the profile being displayed.

Sorting: Can we get a sort method for latest updated? Otherwise, no complaints.

No uploads: Very minor gripe, but if a user has no uploads, it currently states "No results found". Could it instead simply state the user hasn't uploaded anything? "No results" sounds like the system failed to look up the author's contents.

To see *my* view of the website, i've uploaded a full page capture I made using the GoFullPage extension. In case that helps with feedback and/or understanding my point of view. A not-resized version is available on imgur here.

screencapture-next-nexusmods-users-44377727-mods-2024-02-28-15_49_18.png

Another problem i found:

when i click to limit mods...

your menu give me: skyrim, 2 other games, nothing

if i never did skyrim mod, is the skyrim and 2 other games really needed?

can't you just restrict it to games i mod, like OG forum?

yesss.png

I really don't like the UI changes its going to make finding a users mod from their profile far harder.

The left column takes up way to much screen retail and the mods tab does not display nearly enough a row of 3, some users have 100's of mods and looking at a users profile to download mods is one of the best ways to get them. I would recommend reducing the amount of space the left column has or move it to the top of the page - it really does not need to be on the left. Then you can have a couple of more columns for mod lists. Another option would be to have the ability to condense the featured mods into a list  or smaller items containing image, and title.

Also a there's a visual issue the left column only scrolls down when you get to the bottom of the mods tab - this is unresponsive and therefore an accessibility issue

Edited by SirDaemon
  • Like 4

I quite like it. I would like an option to add a cover photo at the top that would fade into the profile pic and disappear as you scroll down, like how the orange gradient that's there behaves. The sidebar on the left is kind of big for me; as in, every part of it is just too big, but that might be my "I have used forums and blogs since 2008" speaking, lol.

It definitely looks visually appealing, nice job! However, I have a few points of feedback:

1.) There is far too much empty space at the top of the page. The entire right panel could be moved much closer to the top. As is, I can barely see the names of the first 3 mods if the scroll bar is at the top - which is the primary content on the page that most people will desire to see.

2.) Only 3 mods per row. This is a huge setback for readability, especially since there is so much empty space to the left/right of both panels. Furthermore, each mod tile is now so long that you can only really see the pictures of the mods from the row below. This is the largest issue for me - more mods need to be present on each row, and the mod tiles should be shorter. The old mods section showed almost 12 full mod tiles at once. This is a decrease in readability of 50-75% in my eyes, which is quite staggering. 

3.) Mod descriptions are 1/3 shorter, though mod tiles are slightly longer. Fairly simple - text size and positioning should be adjusted so that more of the description can be read, while empty space is lessened

4.) To add onto the previous point, changing the mod release/update dates to be 'X months ago' rather than the specific date is a big loss - especially since they both take up the same amount of space. These are not social media posts, and as such require a greater degree of specificity for those of us trying to coordinate and build larger mod lists/videos/creations. These dates are often crucial to be seen at a glance - rather than upon hovering our mouse over each specific mod - so we can compare and contrast between multiple releases/updates.

5.) Removing the hyperlinks to the mod category makes the mod tile harder to read due to the loss of color. One of either the game name, mod name, mod author name, or mod dates/stats should be changed to a color other than varying shades of grey. This will improve readability, as currently all text in the mod tile is too similar in color and even size which causes the text to look slightly jumbled. Hopefully the orange text in this post should be enough evidence that adding a color will improve the readability.

The redesign really does look good however user functionality could be improved, and I wish to be as constructive as possible! I have highlighted the main points in orange, for your convenience. 🙂

• Like 5