User Profile and Direct Messaging Improvements Beta

JustThatKing

I might be a bit skeptical about the new profile page...

1. The ads are way too huge that I immediately want to turn my adblock back on. But even without the ads, I don't get why the banner bar and the profile picture need to be this big. I could have seen 10 mods at 1440p with 125% zoomed in, but now with the new design I can only see 3. I think mod authors would prefer to show their mods not their profile pictures.

image.thumb.png.9eb1cf716e9b9edbb186f663a2001046.png

2. I do not like the card design for each mod. The whole card is highlighted when I moved my mouse over, and I cannot tell if I can only click part of the card, like jumping to the "visuals and graphics" category. I understand this might be part of the responsive design, but I think more people are visiting Nexus on PC and the old design feels better with a mouse. Also, strings like "1 year ago" isn't as convenient as the exact date in my opinion. With date, I can tell if a mod is updated to support the latest version of the game/another mod by checking their exact last update date, so I may choose not to open the mod page.

• Like 1

I definitely like the new Profile pages so far. However, I have a question: Will this new UI also be rolled out to the mod pages, themselves, at some point? Or will this change be exclusive to the site profiles? Because I would be extremely curious to see how the new UI would look on the mod pages, themselves! 😛

Also want to take a second to thank you guys who help run Nexus. You guys have revitalized most of the games I enjoy and even some childhood favorites and for that, you guys have my eternal gratitude. ❤️

(Side note: this is my first time commenting on the forums, despite being on the sites for awhile now... so HIIII!! :D) 

Edited by MaverickTheDemonWolf
  • Like 2

Great features and visually appealing.

I'm mainly using profiles to find more mods of the authors, and I wish there was a setting to change how many mods fit in each row and which tab is open by default. Also, I know that loading more mods while scrolling is the more modern approach over pages, but it does make it harder to check out mod authors with lots of mods over multiple sessions. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MaverickTheDemonWolf said:

I definitely like the new Profile pages so far. However, I have a question: Will this new UI also be rolled out to the mod pages, themselves, at some point? Or will this change be exclusive to the site profiles? Because I would be extremely curious to see how the new UI would look on the mod pages, themselves! 😛

Also want to take a second to thank you guys who help run Nexus. You guys have revitalized most of the games I enjoy and even some childhood favorites and for that, you guys have my eternal gratitude. ❤️

(Side note: this is my first time commenting on the forums, despite being on the sites for awhile now... so HIIII!! :D) 

Welcome to the forums 🙂

To answer your question, yes we will be moving mod pages to the new design. Currently, we're slowly migrating a bunch of the old pages from the current site to the new site. We started with the Settings pages, then did notifications and now are working on user profiles. Mod pages are one of the upcoming projects but these pages are probably the most complicated on the site so we've been doing some of the lower-traffic pages first to lay some groundwork that we'll need for mods while making decent progress on the overall project. The end goal is for the entire site to be in the style you see on next.nexusmods.com. 

We're interested in community feedback as we progress through this so will be giving chances for you to share your thoughts periodically as things progress. 

(Note to anyone else reading, we're still looking at this thread and collating your feedback. Maverick's question was just something I could answer quickly!)

12 hours ago, Poltergeister said:

Also, why did the about me text get deleted in the old design? I had information there on what the conditions of using my mod assets are so it's pretty important to me that this info is being displayed even in the transitional phase 😞

The "About Me" sections previous removal is explained in the initial info post. The old text from it has been imported into the new About Me section.

11 hours ago, Estaq said:

I will assume that the random game selection for a given author's mods will be fixed when fully implemented. So far, it doesn't make any sense. I tried a few different pages and the only way to see the mod list is clicking on "all games". I also hope that Skyrim LE won't be merged with Skyrim SE/AE. So far, it just says "Skyrim".

As per the info in the main post of this thread, we have not finished implementing the "drop down" to filter by games. It will be present for the full release/released when it is ready during the beta. 

14 minutes ago, RamonXick said:

so far the layout is nice, but much slower compared to the classic

Glad you're liking it so far! We're taking a look at the performance (as we are considering the other pieces of feedback given in this thread). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pickysaurus said:

The end goal is for the entire site to be in the style you see on next.nexusmods.com.

Ahh. In that case, in addition to the contrast tweak, I'd also request the option to avoid any brightly colored tags in the thumbnails as happens for the collections on next.nexusmods.com. They are extremely difficult to read for people like me, both individually and collectively, as a result of distraction/visual chaos factor when many mods with those tags appear in a search. Not only is the yellow and red difficult to read for many vision and visual processing disorders, but they also draw the eye all over and unnecessarily add to the visual chaos factor of a page. Tags are quite useful to have of course, but the legibility of them as they appear on Next is a concern.

Alternatively, if you are too deep in the redesign process to allow for these accessibility options, hiring a plugin for the site such as offered by https://userway.org/ would solve many, but not all, barriers users may face when interacting with your site. Contrary to User Way's splash page, plugins do not "solve" web accessibility in the same way that planning from the ground up does, but they do offer much more flexibility if said planning is no longer feasible.

Thanks again for taking feedback!

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As far as I remember, there was an option in the privacy settings to hide the last active.
Edit: "Show activity on my profile page" "Display when you were last active" this option called.
Edited by perchik71
  • Confused 1