ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Warnings and Site Ban Theater

1 hour ago, LenaWolfBravil said:

Back on topic of the thread however, I find it somewhat disturbing that some warnings or even bans are issued without reason. That is, literally: reason is stated as "None" with no links provided to the places where the infraction occurred. This is probably just because the moderator forgot to enter the information, but the effect is rather chilling.

Or the bot dropped some of the information due to glitch, or the moderator not hitting Save somewhere, etc.  Yah, it is kinda troubling, and I hope they notice it's happening and can prevent it on future actions.

2 hours ago, showler said:

I don't know if it's still the same but I had noticed a pattern previously where "people" were banned without explanation when they were just spambots.

Dunno, but I've seen plenty where the explanation was just "Spammer".

On 5/1/2024 at 9:12 AM, AaronOfMpls said:

It can help introverts like me open up and find connections to other people

On 5/1/2024 at 10:31 AM, UsernameWithA9 said:

It's interesting that you say that because I've heard alcoholics give a near verbatim justification for their drinking.

On 5/1/2024 at 4:36 PM, LenaWolfBravil said:

Ouch, that hurts. I know you didn't mean to equate introverts and alcoholics, but please consider that alcoholics are people too.

I wanted to revisit this series of statements again because I feel as if I failed to make my point before. If you re-read the relevant posts, you'll realize that I was drawing parallels between introverts who were also alcoholics and introverts who utilize the internet to overcome their social awkwardness. The effects of alcohol and being online seem to have similar effects on the mind in terms of the lowering of one's inhibitions. You misconstrued my statement. Possibly because you have a soft spot for alcoholics? And I know alcoholics are people too. What else would they be?

The flaw, I think, is that you failed to account for introverts who use alcohol to lower inhibitions and socialize better but are not, in any way, alcoholics.

• Like 1

That's fair but it seems intuitive to me, although I'm biased, if one was following the series of replies. My hunch is that Lena experienced a perceived slight directed towards alcoholics, which wasn't what I was doing. I just wanted to clarify.

Huh. Well, whichever the case, the slight exists in the mind of the one who perceives and not in my statement.

That's enough of that. I see the Dark0ne hovering with his banning finger at the ready. Everything's cool here, Dark0ne. We got it sorted.

Posted (edited)

Here's an interesting entry into the Formal Warnings and Ban thread. A user received a warning for, 'Continuing to share mods containing copyrighted music without an appropriate license after a previous formal warning for the same behaviour'. Now, this brings to mind a mod that is currently available on Nexus with... guess what... copyrighted music, The Underground, repacked and uploaded as The Underground 2. Looking over my copy of the original ReadMe, I can find no mention of any appropriate license or even credit to the artists for the usage of their songs. 

Now, I'm not advocating for the removal of The Underground 2 from Nexus, but it does seem a bit hypocritical and wholly curious. Was the user charging money for the mod in question? Did the artist/artists protest usage of their music within game mods? Or maybe the copyrighted music was Yoko Ono songs? In that case, the user should have been ridiculed and subsequently banned. But seriously, if it was being shared freely, what's the big deal? Does donation points count as receiving profit? I suppose it could be attributed to the fact that Nexus earns money for ad placement and in turn cannot legally host any copyrighted material, fair enough. Which brings me back to The Underground 2, I love that mod and Stereo MC's song Connected, by the way. What am I missing here?

You know, this all stems from Lars Ulrich opening up his big mouth about Napster. Hate that guy, just sayin'.

Edited by UsernameWithA9

You can't post copyrighted music in any mod unless there is a license to permit the use.  The only difference between the two mods you describe is that one was apparently reported and the other wasn't.

If The Underground 2 is distributing copyrighted music without a license you can kiss that mod goodbye.

• Like 1