Nexus Mods Navigation updates

On a tangential note, you need to update this text on your main "games" page: "You can also add up to 12 games to your favourites menu by using the dropdown menu on each game tile."

• Thanks 2

Compared to the old navigation this is also a visually awful change. It looks like a body part that doesn't belong. The white colour scheme may be more visible, but it is now overly intrusive

2024-07-06_01h13_55.png

The new UI styles are visually nicer after 9 years, I love them. Especially for the forum and menus. Unfortunately the UX has gone backwards and it hurts. First the profile page and mod tiles, now the navigation.

I can't really fathom some of the changes. Eg: favourites, which I use every day. Even if you wanted to show more games, doing it in columns with a massive waste of space around each side isn't the way to go. It's organised poorly and harder to use. There are many ways to rejig it, responsively, to make it better for usability and to increase the amount of games visible. And using an 'X' as a navigation device to send the user to the home page? These things didn't come up as issues during testing? UX experts approved them? It's fundamentally flawed. The rationale on the previous page is full of holes and simple things are being overcomplicated.

It's also a shame that a lot of the early thoughts from 2015 never made it into this space, like showing the most popular or newly added games in the games menu (so they're easy to add), or having a filter you can type into to add other games without having to navigate away from the page. It highlights game mod pages people might otherwise never see. It'd be super useful and increase visibility. And that was in 2015. Come on fellas.

• Like 3

On 7/4/2024 at 9:55 AM, mfPixel said:

I agree that the large tiles looked nice, but it meant that we were limited to having 12 favourites. The UI also caused problems at smaller screen sizes, hiding 2 games behind a carousel which required you to scroll to view them. The new view means we can double the amount of games favourited and it scales better across all screen sizes. We can also show more of the game name and columns are easier to scan than horizontal rows (tradeoff being the smaller image). I appreciate that this is a big visual change which will take a while to get used to.

This is why it should be an option, for the people who like the new ui can stick with it, and for those who don't can choose to revert back to the old one.

• Like 1

I noticed today that clicking Community -> Forums from a mod page now opens the forums in the same tab, taking you away from the page you were on. Previously it would open in a new tab by default which was making a lot more sense.

On 7/8/2024 at 12:31 PM, LenaWolfBravil said:

I noticed today that clicking Community -> Forums from a mod page now opens the forums in the same tab, taking you away from the page you were on. Previously it would open in a new tab by default which was making a lot more sense.

Indeed, that would make some sense. 

Though I probably wouldn't notice; I right-click (🖥️💻)/long-press (📱) > Open in New Tab on anything I want to open in a new tab anyway.

34 minutes ago, AaronOfMpls said:

I right-click (🖥️💻)/long-press (📱) > Open in New Tab on anything I want to open in a new tab anyway.

I don't. I count every click. As an RSI survivor, you learn to be mindful of your mousing. 🙂  

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 6:31 PM, LenaWolfBravil said:

Good catch. I middle mouse click the forums out of habit anyway so I never noticed! 

• Like 1