The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Yeah, bring earmuffs for your own safety. Although, the cars I'm talking about are this year's model-they have a V-8 engine. Next year's cars are a lot more high tech, they've got a more powerful turbo V-6 and will be a lot quieter(but still deafening)

If you do decide to see one live, I recommend the Melbourne GP next year(March 16th). I've followed F1 for a long time, and Melbourne's usually one of the most fun races, since it's always the first race of the sport's season. Every team designs a new car at the beginning of each year and they've got almost no time in which to test them before they're thrown onto the grid at Melbourne. As a result the Melbourne race is always a major wildcard-these cars are a bit unpredictable at the best of times, and unpredictable plus untested usually results in total anarchy. It'll be even more dramatic next year because of the vastly different ruleset and car designs. The new cars are a lot more powerful than this years, but consequently put a lot of stress on the pilot. 2014's race is going to be huge for the sport-it'll prove whether or not the(somewhat controversial) new rules actually work, and who's got the best package going into the new era.

Secondly, your edit does work. Especially the stitching.

I would go to it, but it would be too costly at the moment. I don't have a job, my family is in pieces, and I'll be in uni around that time.

Sounds like the event to go to though. That little bit of extra uncertainty would add to the atmosphere.

And I shall do more on the other textures, thanks.

If I hear the word f@&#!t one more time I'll pull that one person's teeth and nails out one by one and slam them up his urethra.

I realize this was a few pages back, but this has got to be the most excessively violent reaction to something so insignificant I've ever seen.

What's insignificant to you may not be insignificant to others. First stop and think before posting what maybe some person is going through that you don't have to and how that affected that person and didn't affect you. Yes my rant wasn't the nicest thing on this planet, but it helps me cope and relax and focus on significant things.

And if you were in this thread for longer you'd know that I just rant a lot and I'm not a violent person at all.

And note to self:

If I hear the word f@&#!t one more time I'll pull that one person's teeth and nails out one by one and slam them up his urethra. I can't believe how retarded people are, I just can't. Is that even possible? You need to be on the IQ level of corn to be this ignorant.

Don't. People like that aren't worth the effort. Anyone who's that disgustingly ignorant or right-wing isn't even worth noticing. Nothing you do will change them, educate them or make them better people, they're lost causes, so just walk away. They don't want to be proven wrong about gay people, they don't want to see that there's more to life than god and hatred, and trying to change that in any way is just a waste of time. So ignore them and focus on the(many) people who aren't like that. And I know-as an Aspie I spent my entire childhood under the stigma of being a "retard" despite having an IQ over a third again higher than any of my oppressors.

The other thing I'd say, and this a bit more subjective, is that these people are prisoners of their own convictions. If you're willing to change your views, explore the world, and enjoy life, then you're going to have an immeasurably better life than they will. These people will spend their lives trudging along wearing shackles of their own ignorance. They'll never have many friends because they're so full of hatred. They'll never do interesting things because they're so conservative. They'll never see how broad the world really is because they can't see past their own two feet. Don't let them turn you into one of them. Aspire to be more.

I know Vin, I've got a lot of things to learn and I'm just sometimes annoyed by the ignorance of others. I tolerate it a lot and I ignore it, just sometimes it crosses my border and I just rant something out. I'm a bit too self conscious of my environment and I take many things personally which I shouldn't.

'Twas just a horribly stressful few weeks and I'm very tired. Ugh and a girl in my class wrote something bad about gay people on the blackboard and just meh.

I ordered myself a pizza and I'll go watch a movie now or something!

If I hear the word f@&#!t one more time I'll pull that one person's teeth and nails out one by one and slam them up his urethra.

I realize this was a few pages back, but this has got to be the most excessively violent reaction to something so insignificant I've ever seen.

Aaand you dun f***ed it up. :facepalm:

Wow, I completely missed this comment. And you wonder why you got a chat ban... :rolleyes:

Check out the wiki on anime in North America, we had everything almost.

Heh, anime.

You know, I actually have interests beyond cars and computers-when I was in highschool I used to draw anime. My drawing wasn't half-bad either, I only stopped because I discovered I enjoyed writing them more than drawing them. And my job doing strips for the highschool gazette was requiring I keep everything G-rated, and I hated that. As I've gotten older I've moved to a more Westernised literary format, but I still have huge respect for anime-it's quirkiness still appeals.

The best anime I ever encountered was a video novella perhaps, two years ago. It wasn't terribly 'exciting' in the classic sense(no lasers or boobs), but in three hours it taught me more about writing than I learned in high-school. It's real strength was it's character design-I'm genuinely envious of how realistic each character's personality was, and how attached you got to a drawing. Every detail of the writing was spot-on, and the manipulation of the reader's instinctive, emotional reactions was both distressing, and ultimately rewarding. Overall it felt like the best social experiment ever, and my only regret is that I don't think I'm allowed to mention it by name here due to site rules. The issue is, it was funded by a website of ill-repute, who I don't think you're allowed to mention here. The studio responsible's name is also a direct reference to the site, so I don't think I can name it. Don't ask for it in PM either, rules are rules and you won't get it.

This is like the best thread ever. Every time I come back here the wildest/weirdest stuff has happened in the meantime. :tongue:

That's why we all post. :D

Check out the wiki on anime in North America, we had everything almost.

Heh, anime.

You know, I actually have interests beyond cars and computers-when I was in highschool I used to draw anime. My drawing wasn't half-bad either, I only stopped because I discovered I enjoyed writing them more than drawing them. And my job doing strips for the highschool gazette was requiring I keep everything G-rated, and I hated that. As I've gotten older I've moved to a more Westernised literary format, but I still have huge respect for anime-it's quirkiness still appeals.

The best anime I ever encountered was a video novella perhaps, two years ago. It wasn't terribly 'exciting' in the classic sense(no lasers or boobs), but in three hours it taught me more about writing than I learned in high-school. It's real strength was it's character design-I'm genuinely envious of how realistic each character's personality was, and how attached you got to a drawing. Every detail of the writing was spot-on, and the manipulation of the reader's instinctive, emotional reactions was both distressing, and ultimately rewarding. Overall it felt like the best social experiment ever, and my only regret is that I don't think I'm allowed to mention it by name here due to site rules. The issue is, it was funded by a website of ill-repute, who I don't think you're allowed to mention here. The studio responsible's name is also a direct reference to the site, so I don't think I can name it. Don't ask for it in PM either, rules are rules and you won't get it.

I used to try drawing anime for fun, but I've never mastered the style. I can draw "realistically", but anime is just not something I can draw. And its weird because some guy at the highschool I went to said my handwriting strokes were reminisce of the Japanese Hiragana.

I wish I could write stories, but I'm too impatient. I like getting into the main events - the twists and quirks, the dialogue and action scenes! Those are the parts I love. But, without the rest of the story, the minor details, the world painted on a canvas, the stories just don't work. I hope that in 10 or 20 years time, I will have found some patience so I can bring together an interesting story and perhaps write a novel. I know it sounds quite ambitious, but I've been writing short stories for more than 6 years. I start a new one about every 6 months, get right into it, then discover I've paced it too quickly and give up. *Sigh*, I need to settle down a bit before I can endure the time-consuming struggles of story-telling. :P

Also, I want to know of this anime that you speak of. By drawing attention to it without revealing it, it is all the more intriguing.

Just finished a couple of days of faculty meetings and its coincidental (to a degree) how items of discussion touched upon some mini-rants here in the thread.

Homework. Why associate professors tend to bring this up is a point of wonder for me and others. The attitude of the various faculty members tend to be:

Tenured professors - Homework? What is this - high school? Who has time to check homework?

Sessional Lecturers - I do XX weeks (some do 4 weeks and some like me do 12 weeks) of instruction and mostly labs, so homework isn't exactly useful, besides, I have a life outside of the university and I am not about to let homework take up any of that time.

At the end of a class I (and other sessional lecturers) generally identify what is coming in the next class and students can either prepare or not - their choice. University and college is "adult" education after all.

Because my classes tend to be primarily practical application of theoretical concepts, I find many students have problems with the theory. I tell every class the same thing about studying and reading.

1. Read a single concept or idea only. The average person can only hold about 20 seconds or 7 "chunks" of information before their brain decides to either reject or store the information as long term memory.

2. Visualize the information in a picture in your mind or draw it. This can reduce the info into smaller and more manageable "chunks".

3. Try and apply it to a practical application. Same as 2, but adds more sensory input to the info.

4. For every class taken, when ever they are studying that class and especially when they go to write an exam, chew a specific gum that has a taste and smell. Use a different taste and smell gum for each different class.

Sensory input is critical to learning - the more senses involved the better. Taste and smell are two of the more powerful memory stimulators. Think about what happens when you smell a crayon, baby powder or bread baking.

For the majority of students who follow this advice, they tell me by semester end they have seen at least a point up in grade point in the class.

Just a something from the "other side" of a university. Got to go back to work as I am preparing written and practical evaluations that students will be writing in December.

My dog sucks, waking me up by barking at nothing the stupid sod, then that riles up the other one so it's deafening and they sleep in the same room as me, plus I feel like s#*! today with headache so not impressed to say the least :armscrossed:

My dog sucks, waking me up by barking at nothing the stupid sod, then that riles up the other one so it's deafening and they sleep in the same room as me, plus I feel like s*** today with headache so not impressed to say the least :armscrossed:

Put them in a different room? Also, sorry about the headache: I sent it to you because I didn't want it.