Your Most Frustrating Oblivion Moments

Spl1nt3rC3ll

When Farwil just has to follow the daedra into the lava.

My most frustrating moment is when you have to follow npc which walks very slow. :dry:

Agreed! I hate the quest where you have to follow Baurus in the sewers.

Or a hunter in Anvil during one of the first Fighter's Guild quests:

Hello, Pinarus! Shouldn't hunters ...run?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most annoying bugs I have found was where whenever a npc tries to talk to me to advance a quest, I would cast invisibility. If i didn't have that spell my character would just stand still, unable to initiate dialogue :mad: but able to do everything else and I couldn't even interact either!

• 3 weeks later...
i had a major glitch while playing oblivion, i went to the shivering isles with my second character... and to my dismay the gatekeeper was missing, i was so frustrated that i just decided to go and use the console to open the mania doors, when i opened them my game crashed and my auto save and quick saves were corrupt and i only used the regular save after i got out of jail, so i lost over 10 hours of gameplay... i couldnt stand to look at oblivion for 2 or 3 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have three that all vie for the top spot.

First, there's the Leyawiin Mages Guild. My fps drops to a slide show whenever I'm in there and I haven't been able to figure out why.

Next would be my first attempt at finishing the Thieves Guild quest line where I have to fire that stupid arrow through a little hole in a statue all the way over on the other side of Cyrodiil -- or it may as well have been. I had no idea you had to be so proficient at archery to do that. Every time I fired my arrow it fell way short of the danged target! I had to back out of the quest and go back ... much later ... to finish it, once I figured out what the problem was. Now I always take Marksman as a specialty and work to buff up that skill as rapidly as I can.

The third would be my general frustration with companions and NPCs. They have this psychic ability to get in your way just as you lunge for an attack or send off an offensive spell. I don't even do companions any more because of this, I leave my horse behind when I know I'm going into battle (especially with Shadowmere who always wanders off back to Fort Farragut when she gets knocked out), and if there are friendly NPCs involved in the fight I just let them do the fighting and stay out of it. I'm really tired of getting charged with assault or even murder, when it's not even my fault.

One of the most frustrating things in Oblivion in my oppinion?

That horses report crimes. What the hell?

There is NO ONE around seeing me, it's the middle of the night, the town guard is half a mile away, the stable NPCs are sleeping INSIDE the house and still - as soon as you reach a town on a stolen horse, the guards KNOW that you stole the horse. Why? Because horses have about 15 responsibility or whatnot - and report themselves stolen. WHY? Why would Bethsoft script something like that? Realism anyone?

Sigh.

I've ranted about the horse issue, myself, on a number of occasions, but it's pretty much keeping in line with the fact that one of the prerequisites to being a guard is to have mastered the arcane art of precognition. They know when you've committed a crime even if the people around haven't had a chance to report it. Either that, or all of Cyrodiil is one huge hive mind, with just a few exceptions (the PC being one of them, of course). I think it's all part of a Bethesda conspiracy to virtually enforce the PC to walk the path of righteousness to actually accomplish anything important in the game -- or what they consider important which is staying out of trouble long enough to complete the main quest. Frankly, the entire main quest line is so disappointing that it's the very least of my priorities when I'm playing this game. I love playing either (or even both) sides of the fence, but I can get my "good" fix with most of the quests that are available without having to struggle with a lame premise and NPCs who are getting in the way when I'm trying to fight. I lost count how many times I had to restart sections of the main quest because of some NPC who jumped in the way of a sword blow or targeted spell after I had fully committed to it. The AI is really stupid like that. Or the designers did it on purpose just to make things difficult for the player.

There's not really, by comparison, that much for the player who wants to role-play a darker character and, ultimately, the darkest quest line (the Dark Brotherhood) teaches you what? That the Night Mother, herself, cares so little about her followers that she knows who the traitor in the organization is and still allows the entire Cheydinhal Sanctuary to be slaughtered and her very own Listener put to death in a most grizzly fashion, even though none of those people were involved in any way with the treachery? That was a pretty frustrating part of the game for me, too. It was too contrived. Too ... irrational. I so wanted to murder the Night Mother, in fact, even though I knew it would be pointless to try.

I could go on with frustrations, there are so many of them in this game, some caused by poor game design and some caused by a perverse sense of humor by the game designers. If, like me, you like to play basically good characters who can sometimes get drawn into darker paths, you probably approached Borderwatch with a feeling of dread, knowing that you were going to be permanently ruining the lives of the people, there, just to play a silly prank on them. This wasn't like the other "prank" quest in the Daedric shrine quest line, which was great fun, even if the mechanics of the game bugs it to the point where you sometimes can't actually follow through with it, but Borderwatch is serious business with far-reaching moral and ethical consequences. But if you want to complete the Daedric shrine quests and get a chance to acquire that lovely book that is its culmination, you have to. I did, I felt bad about it -- really bad to the point at which I'm thinking about creating a quest mod that lets the PC atone for this great injustice -- got the book and then the game refused to let me read it! Nothing I did could get me the option to read the danged thing. I finally gave the book to Martin in lieu of Wabbajack, which everyone claims is the most useless of the Daedric artifacts. The ONLY reason I completed the Borderwatch quest was to get that book, and then I was denied its use.

When I am missing meshes and I do not know what the hell is causing them to miss meshes, especially vanilla meshes.

More in game: Gate keeper at Shivering Isles, I was level 5, with enchanted Kvatch armor from Savlian Matius, rest was chain mail, plus Kvatch shield and silver axe on 50% difficulty, Gate Keeper swung at me once, I blocked, he broke through my block, one hit kill, I die, I rage.

• 2 weeks later...

making a custom weapon that does 20,000 base damage and attacking a clanfear

or using the fury of aries mod and playing KOTN. when you attack Garlas Malatar, all the knights have blades of overkill (99999 shock, fire and frost damage) one uses it, kills everyone else AND I COP THE BLAME!! LOL