Quick Questions, Quick Answers

Mattiewagg

Got a question regarding Specific References (aka Forced References). Do they remain persistent after a quest has ended, or not? Creation Kit wiki isn't really clear about this.

Specific Reference A specific reference is assigned to this alias. http://www.creationkit.com/images/f/f0/Achtung.png

Note that this makes that reference permanently persistent (always loaded in memory), even when this quest is not running. This can eventually cause performance issues, particularly with actors.

• Contrary to the above, all aliases are persistent for as long as the quest is running.

...So I suppose the references are purged once a quest has ended?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a question regarding Specific References (aka Forced References). Do they remain persistent after a quest has ended, or not? Creation Kit wiki isn't really clear about this.

Specific Reference A specific reference is assigned to this alias. http://www.creationkit.com/images/f/f0/Achtung.png

Note that this makes that reference permanently persistent (always loaded in memory), even when this quest is not running. This can eventually cause performance issues, particularly with actors.

• Contrary to the above, all aliases are persistent for as long as the quest is running.

...So I suppose the references are purged once a quest has ended?

Forced references are always persistent. Other aliases are persistent only while the quest is running.

Is there a way for NPC dialogue to recognize a custom race as a vanilla one? For example, if I make a new race that is a hybrid with a beast race, is there a way to set the race so that NPCs react to the player like they are that vanilla beast race, with appropriate comments?

I'd like to make weapons "no recharge". That is to say, I'd like to be able to make a Fire Damage Enchantment that the player can place on their favorite weapon, but that NEVER RUNS OUT of charges, and doesn't have to be recharged via soul gems and whatnot.

Ideally, I'd like to make it to where NO weapon ever needs recharging (except maybe staves since they're weird anyway.)

After all, your armour enchantments never have to be recharged, even if you get hit a zillion times in one fight. So why should your weapon have to be recharged even if you use it a zillion times?

1) Do I just make (for instance) "AllaNoChargeFire" enchantment, and uncheck the "Auto-Calc" box, and set the charge to 0 ...? or does the charge need to be set high, or something?

or,

2) Can this be done as a hidden perk, for lack of a better way to put it? Not something added to a perk tree, but something like the "Shout" perk, that exists as soon as the player exists? If so, how the heck do I go about that?

And, final note, I CANNOT use video tutorials or yootoob tutorials, for a variety of reasons.

Thanks for any advice or help!

One way to do it would be to edit the Magic Effects used by the enchantment(s) that you want to have infinite charges; making them have 0.0 Base Cost. This would result in the enchantments using 0 charge. Of course, I have no idea what that might do when you go to use an enchanter to apply such an enchantment to an item... It might work fine, and you'd just have to limit yourself on how powerful you think the enchantment should be; or it might crash the game. My thinking behind this warning is - if you're putting an enchantment on a weapon, I'm pretty sure the system limits it based on the enchantment's charge cost (i.e. with no charge cost, you might be able to set an enchantment to do 10000 fire damage; or it might crash trying to figure out the max damage).

It didn't crash, but it also doesn't seem to work -- weapons still have charges that are depleted as they're used.

Any further ideas? I'm not trying to get someone to do the work for me, I just don't understand how to do this.

I'd like to make weapons "no recharge". That is to say, I'd like to be able to make a Fire Damage Enchantment that the player can place on their favorite weapon, but that NEVER RUNS OUT of charges, and doesn't have to be recharged via soul gems and whatnot.

Ideally, I'd like to make it to where NO weapon ever needs recharging (except maybe staves since they're weird anyway.)

After all, your armour enchantments never have to be recharged, even if you get hit a zillion times in one fight. So why should your weapon have to be recharged even if you use it a zillion times?

1) Do I just make (for instance) "AllaNoChargeFire" enchantment, and uncheck the "Auto-Calc" box, and set the charge to 0 ...? or does the charge need to be set high, or something?

or,

2) Can this be done as a hidden perk, for lack of a better way to put it? Not something added to a perk tree, but something like the "Shout" perk, that exists as soon as the player exists? If so, how the heck do I go about that?

And, final note, I CANNOT use video tutorials or yootoob tutorials, for a variety of reasons.

Thanks for any advice or help!

One way to do it would be to edit the Magic Effects used by the enchantment(s) that you want to have infinite charges; making them have 0.0 Base Cost. This would result in the enchantments using 0 charge. Of course, I have no idea what that might do when you go to use an enchanter to apply such an enchantment to an item... It might work fine, and you'd just have to limit yourself on how powerful you think the enchantment should be; or it might crash the game. My thinking behind this warning is - if you're putting an enchantment on a weapon, I'm pretty sure the system limits it based on the enchantment's charge cost (i.e. with no charge cost, you might be able to set an enchantment to do 10000 fire damage; or it might crash trying to figure out the max damage).

It didn't crash, but it also doesn't seem to work -- weapons still have charges that are depleted as they're used.

Any further ideas? I'm not trying to get someone to do the work for me, I just don't understand how to do this.

I don't understand... I've tested it myself, and so long as either the enchantment itself or the magic effects that make up the enchantment have a base cost of 0 it shouldn't be using any charges. When you go to enchant an item with the enchantment, it might say there's only so many charges, but it won't actually use any charges since the cost of the enchantment is 0. Through my testing, I wasn't able to figure out why it would use charges as long as the enchantment has a cost of 0... Are you ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the enchantment you made and tested had a COST of 0?

There's a modder's resource that allows for that. I believe the name is RaceCompatibility.

That apparently allows race compatibility to allow custom races to become Vampires and Werewolves, but it doesn't make npcs react to the custom race as if it was a vanilla race.

Hi all,

Is there a way to stop animation to play?

I've got this: Debug.SendAnimationEvent(PlayerRef, "IdleWarmHandsCrouched")

and I've try to add: Debug.SendAnimationEvent(PlayerRef, "IdleStudy_Exit")

But it seems to have no effect, the "IdleWarmHandsCrouched" still playing and I need to press the jump key to unlock the player.

Thanks in advance for any advices.

I think the standard to use is Debug.SendAnimationEvent(PlayerRef,"IdleForceDefaultState") to stop animations.

However, I believe you can and should use PlayerRef.PlayIdle(IdleWarmHands) instead of SendAnimationEvent for warming your hands, as SendAnimationEvent can supposedly cause issues. If you go through with that you can use PlayerRef.PlayIdle(IdleStop_Loose) to stop the animation. Note that IdleWarmHands and IdleStop_Loose are properties you need to fill with your script.
Edited by IronDusk33