Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

Dark0ne i'm my self not agains paid mods ie witcher 2 is a brilliant game ya im fine with that only need a couple a mods to make it better.......but skyrim is a pile a horse s...t it loves to crash went it feels like it / 90% a mission may work horse combat a joke.....fps it horrable with out enb boost v sync not on very item not nailed down fly across very room vinalla textures are poor...... not paying for mods simple not on a 3 year pile a c....p im sorry..........

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no issue with mod authors getting paid for their mods, especially if they have real talent, like isoku. Just imagine a world where isoku could make a living just from modding! That's a world I would love to live in.

I would consider most of the mods on the Nexus as good. There are some that are absolute trash. There are a few such as "The Gray Cowl of Nocturnal" that are truly exceptional. If mods over at the Sweatshop hide behind a pay wall, how do we determine the quality before we buy? In the case of the "Gray Cowl" and a few other mods on Nexus I donated to the authors as a show of my appreciation.

I will probably never use anything off of the Steam Store except the base games and official DLCs. I hope that the Nexus will continue with the voluntary system of donations and users will show their support of the mod authors with donations!

In response to post #24567939. #24568149, #24568224, #24568229, #24568289, #24568664, #24568749, #24568784, #24568864, #24568989, #24569094 are all replies on the same post.

plaxeko wrote:
ambria wrote: Yeap this is going to cause all kinds of headaches.

What if someones buys mod A
Then buys mod B
And they are incompatible and screw up their game.
Who do they blame?
Can they get a refund for one of the mods, since they can't use both?
This could be a huge mess
icecreamassassin wrote: yeah not to mention all the mods that are released full of bugs all on their own, never mind compatibility issues. Value sure as hell isn't going to shell out money to have a crew of people rate the stability and compatibility of each and every mod, they just see dollar signs and a bunch of people willing to get on board creating content for them for a sliver of the pie. Quality will drop way down, and some modders will even start pulling their content from Nexus in favor of trying to sell it, which kinda stinks
Jakal256 wrote: Absolutely, if we had no more crashing, no more conflictions, no more performance hits, a mod manager of our choice than I might buy into this. It would certainly make it easier to find what you wanted. I would pay for uniform stability. However guaranteeing these things is like next to impossible I understand.
boulegue wrote: all of that is explained in their FAQ and the burden is shifted to the buyer... sad thing
ambria wrote: Have a link to that FAQ by any chance?
I only read about this here
Manaburn wrote: True. Thats another way to look at it... If i pay money for a mod, it instantly stops to have any single excuse for being broken, incompatible or cause all the headaches free mods tend to do sometimes. I really never complained... why should i? It was free. So... there we go! Its a hobby, so i try to fix it. I can hope and maybe ask but not expect someone doing this out of fun to deliver a perfect, flawless thing. Its fine if its bugged and needs fixing..

But yea, in the second this costs a dime... let alone a dollar or more... Well, you better deliver A-Game or sit down for a few days of costumer support. Because you just stopped doing it out of fun. I am now your costumer. Costumer is King. No excuses.
ambria wrote: Oh wow, that could actually be easily abused by the buyer
" you can easily get a refund of that mod within 24 hours of your purchase"
Considering a lot of dungeon and quests mods can be played and completed well within a 24 hour time frame, what's to stop someone from playing through one, getting a refund and moving to the next.
If that's the case then it really limits the amount of mods that would be deemed purchase worthy to ones that you intend to use forever
KennyBall wrote: from steam "Try any mod, Risk Free
It's still important to spend a little time learning about any product you are about to purchase. But, if after purchase you find that a mod is broken or doesn’t work as promised, you can easily get a refund of that mod within 24 hours of your purchase."
Keinichn wrote: So they have a "trial period" for the paid mods. What prevents someone from copying the mod files and then getting a refund? They still have the mod then.

your conscience could stop you

The only communities I can recall that have ever done this kind of thing Include:

Second Life

&

The Sims 2 with all those numerous modding sites, some you had to pay to use.

Speaks really highly of what's to come, doesn't it?

And if you already note that Second life's userbase is almost identical to that of Steams you can only really assume the worst, it's like putting Mentos in Cola, Just imagine all the Ostracised Commision hungry nutjobs from IMVU takeover Furaffinity and the starved for playability/customability and quality that make up second life jumping in on this bandwagon.

I have utter dread for the days to come.

In response to post #24567939. #24568149, #24568224, #24568229, #24568289, #24568664, #24568749, #24568784, #24568864, #24568989, #24569094, #24569179 are all replies on the same post.

plaxeko wrote:
ambria wrote: Yeap this is going to cause all kinds of headaches.

What if someones buys mod A
Then buys mod B
And they are incompatible and screw up their game.
Who do they blame?
Can they get a refund for one of the mods, since they can't use both?
This could be a huge mess
icecreamassassin wrote: yeah not to mention all the mods that are released full of bugs all on their own, never mind compatibility issues. Value sure as hell isn't going to shell out money to have a crew of people rate the stability and compatibility of each and every mod, they just see dollar signs and a bunch of people willing to get on board creating content for them for a sliver of the pie. Quality will drop way down, and some modders will even start pulling their content from Nexus in favor of trying to sell it, which kinda stinks
Jakal256 wrote: Absolutely, if we had no more crashing, no more conflictions, no more performance hits, a mod manager of our choice than I might buy into this. It would certainly make it easier to find what you wanted. I would pay for uniform stability. However guaranteeing these things is like next to impossible I understand.
boulegue wrote: all of that is explained in their FAQ and the burden is shifted to the buyer... sad thing
ambria wrote: Have a link to that FAQ by any chance?
I only read about this here
Manaburn wrote: True. Thats another way to look at it... If i pay money for a mod, it instantly stops to have any single excuse for being broken, incompatible or cause all the headaches free mods tend to do sometimes. I really never complained... why should i? It was free. So... there we go! Its a hobby, so i try to fix it. I can hope and maybe ask but not expect someone doing this out of fun to deliver a perfect, flawless thing. Its fine if its bugged and needs fixing..

But yea, in the second this costs a dime... let alone a dollar or more... Well, you better deliver A-Game or sit down for a few days of costumer support. Because you just stopped doing it out of fun. I am now your costumer. Costumer is King. No excuses.
ambria wrote: Oh wow, that could actually be easily abused by the buyer
" you can easily get a refund of that mod within 24 hours of your purchase"
Considering a lot of dungeon and quests mods can be played and completed well within a 24 hour time frame, what's to stop someone from playing through one, getting a refund and moving to the next.
If that's the case then it really limits the amount of mods that would be deemed purchase worthy to ones that you intend to use forever
KennyBall wrote: from steam "Try any mod, Risk Free
It's still important to spend a little time learning about any product you are about to purchase. But, if after purchase you find that a mod is broken or doesn’t work as promised, you can easily get a refund of that mod within 24 hours of your purchase."
Keinichn wrote: So they have a "trial period" for the paid mods. What prevents someone from copying the mod files and then getting a refund? They still have the mod then.
boulegue wrote: your conscience could stop you

@Keinichn
It's fairly clear that they didn't think much about the possible problems with this system, which are countless. I guess that the prospects of leeching money from the workshop blinded Valve to that.

In response to post #24565489. #24565664, #24565754, #24565979, #24569024 are all replies on the same post.

Elegost75 wrote:
boulegue wrote: if you created original content it's yours. you are fully protected if someone puts up your mods/resources without your permission.
Elegost75 wrote: I mean consumer protections laws, mostly.

Things like mods not working based on load order and such.
boulegue wrote: you have the 24h return option but thats basically it. and for some of the larger mods which maybe show CTD's etc etc after a long while thats sadly not enough
Elegost75 wrote: Yep, that's what I mean. And there are plenty EU laws according to that. And the way the Workshop is completely unchecked by Valve, I can see a whole can of worms there.

the 24h period is kind of a joke. Not only does the refund only go to steam wallet, but if say the update next week broke and the mod created won't/can't fix it, there goes your money.