Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24569029. #24569109 is also a reply to the same post.

Areaii wrote:
boulegue wrote: the milking will continue as long as we let ourselves get milked.... if it wasnt successful companies wouldnt do it

I really miss it when game developing had at least a portion of passion involved. Nowadays it seems like everything is about publishers and their newest scheme to milk money from gamers.

In response to post #24568539. #24568669 is also a reply to the same post.

AceeQ wrote:
boulegue wrote: dota started as a mod, counter strike started as a mod, team fortress started as a mod..... its been a business for well over 10 years just very little people could make money with it

Microtransactioning Single-Player RPG games is one surefire way to kill a persons interest in a franchise.

I appreciate the fact AceeQ will maintain his mods for free.

I encourage folks to hunt around and snap up any older mods these "paid mods" authors have lying around on the Nexus and hold onto them. No matter what they say about "Oh, we won't ever charge for those" do not believe them. Grab them, and go. And if they start charging for them, share your copy then.

Do not encourage this disturbing trend of micro transactions, encourage DONATIONS.

In response to post #24565489. #24565664, #24565754, #24565979, #24569024, #24569279 are all replies on the same post.

Elegost75 wrote:
boulegue wrote: if you created original content it's yours. you are fully protected if someone puts up your mods/resources without your permission.
Elegost75 wrote: I mean consumer protections laws, mostly.

Things like mods not working based on load order and such.
boulegue wrote: you have the 24h return option but thats basically it. and for some of the larger mods which maybe show CTD's etc etc after a long while thats sadly not enough
Elegost75 wrote: Yep, that's what I mean. And there are plenty EU laws according to that. And the way the Workshop is completely unchecked by Valve, I can see a whole can of worms there.

killerkerberos6 wrote: the 24h period is kind of a joke. Not only does the refund only go to steam wallet, but if say the update next week broke and the mod created won't/can't fix it, there goes your money.

That is what Valve says but the EU has been annoyed by their practices for quite some time now.

One big issue I see with this is that a lot of modder will start to release their mod like ewi's, "Ewi's axe" "Ewi's bridge" Ewi's blablabla" now people will sell their mods in little part so they make mre money.

Sorry for my bad english.

It's hardly even supporting the modder; Valve takes 75% of the earnings from selling the mods. We'd be better off with a donate button that gives the author every penny we think they deserve instead of having to pay for user created content.

This is going to set a bad precedent for future modders.

In response to post #24567939. #24568149, #24568224, #24568229, #24568289, #24568664, #24568749, #24568784, #24568864, #24568989, #24569094, #24569179, #24569239 are all replies on the same post.

plaxeko wrote:
ambria wrote: Yeap this is going to cause all kinds of headaches.

What if someones buys mod A
Then buys mod B
And they are incompatible and screw up their game.
Who do they blame?
Can they get a refund for one of the mods, since they can't use both?
This could be a huge mess
icecreamassassin wrote: yeah not to mention all the mods that are released full of bugs all on their own, never mind compatibility issues. Value sure as hell isn't going to shell out money to have a crew of people rate the stability and compatibility of each and every mod, they just see dollar signs and a bunch of people willing to get on board creating content for them for a sliver of the pie. Quality will drop way down, and some modders will even start pulling their content from Nexus in favor of trying to sell it, which kinda stinks
Jakal256 wrote: Absolutely, if we had no more crashing, no more conflictions, no more performance hits, a mod manager of our choice than I might buy into this. It would certainly make it easier to find what you wanted. I would pay for uniform stability. However guaranteeing these things is like next to impossible I understand.
boulegue wrote: all of that is explained in their FAQ and the burden is shifted to the buyer... sad thing
ambria wrote: Have a link to that FAQ by any chance?
I only read about this here
Manaburn wrote: True. Thats another way to look at it... If i pay money for a mod, it instantly stops to have any single excuse for being broken, incompatible or cause all the headaches free mods tend to do sometimes. I really never complained... why should i? It was free. So... there we go! Its a hobby, so i try to fix it. I can hope and maybe ask but not expect someone doing this out of fun to deliver a perfect, flawless thing. Its fine if its bugged and needs fixing..

But yea, in the second this costs a dime... let alone a dollar or more... Well, you better deliver A-Game or sit down for a few days of costumer support. Because you just stopped doing it out of fun. I am now your costumer. Costumer is King. No excuses.
ambria wrote: Oh wow, that could actually be easily abused by the buyer
" you can easily get a refund of that mod within 24 hours of your purchase"
Considering a lot of dungeon and quests mods can be played and completed well within a 24 hour time frame, what's to stop someone from playing through one, getting a refund and moving to the next.
If that's the case then it really limits the amount of mods that would be deemed purchase worthy to ones that you intend to use forever
KennyBall wrote: from steam "Try any mod, Risk Free
It's still important to spend a little time learning about any product you are about to purchase. But, if after purchase you find that a mod is broken or doesn’t work as promised, you can easily get a refund of that mod within 24 hours of your purchase."
Keinichn wrote: So they have a "trial period" for the paid mods. What prevents someone from copying the mod files and then getting a refund? They still have the mod then.
boulegue wrote: your conscience could stop you
grelf wrote: @Keinichn
It's fairly clear that they didn't think much about the possible problems with this system, which are countless. I guess that the prospects of leeching money from the workshop blinded Valve to that.

You are correct. If it is free, and I can correct the errors myself, than there is no big deal with mods and modding. I even give them their corrected mods back. ;) Without charging a fee ...

BUT if they get paid for it, they have to be professional about it. That means patches, version history, betatesting, documentation, .... and support!

I do not think the modders thought about these implications of the change they will be seen now. They take my money, now they are responsible ... for 25% of the income.

What a sick joke.

If there is a incompability between their mod, and another, they are so screwed ...

I'm honestly concerned if Steam will actually have any degree of quality control with this. There is a handful of the pay mods that aren't even totally finished from what I can see.

Mostly not a fan of Steam's Workshop for Skyrim. It works great with some other games. But Skyrim is very picky about mods. And the way mods are installed on the Workshop can make for a lot of broken games if a person isn't careful.

I gladly donate to modders that I enjoy and would like to continue their work. I think them only getting a 25% cut is a little disappointing for them.

So All those free to use resource mods....The mod authors are all either going to have to stipulate that these resources are not to be used in the paid section of the steam workshop use, or people will start making money off of their work.