Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24569124. #24569209, #24569754 are all replies on the same post.

kkunderwood wrote:
boulegue wrote: you have a 24h refund period if no questions asked already tried it just takes a couple of clicks and you have your money back
wallacemre61 wrote: You dont have your money back, It goes steam vallet.. So the money goes to valve anyway, spend it or not..

Correct you never get your money back.

In response to post #24569234.

Death lok wrote:

Comparing Steam's user base to Second Life?

Shame on you.

Second Life has more creativity than Steam, and sure, good stuff costs money in Second Life. But there's a lot of free content you can find. So before you go bashing two different things do a little research.

Mods do make a game more interesting. Second Life has no "mods". Everything is user created. Signing up for Second Life is free, and you don't need to spend a cent to explore the unending sea of creativity.

After 12 years in Second Life I always find new and creative works of art, new builds, and plenty of friendly folks from the world over. Comparing the two communities is like comparing forks and the universe.

In response to post #24569119. #24569589, #24569724 are all replies on the same post.

coelacanth wrote:
SvarogNL wrote: He has so much talent he needs SKSE to make his Mods work.

You knew?
Lordkabal26 wrote: Yet isoku is getting shafted by Valve and Bethesda and seemingly doesn't realize it, he only gets 25% of what's spent. I'd bet he makes more off donations through Nexus than he could ever by locking it behind the workshop paywall.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/antipaymodding

people please go here and sign this. it will really help the cause...

In response to post #24569794. #24570044 is also a reply to the same post.

Theseus12 wrote:
Paragon777 wrote: ..on the contrary. Down the road this could mean a valid way to shut nexus down... :/

I'm unsure about that. As an example, I noticed that there's a user on the Steam Workshop that posted a mod which takes things a bit further than my simple Vampiric Drain mod. If they decide to put that mod behind a pay wall, It's going to be really tough for a player to find a mod like that, unless they know their way around the Creation Kit. Edited by Aedred

In response to post #24569464. #24569839 is also a reply to the same post.

grasscid wrote:
WinsomeMinotaur wrote: DIdn't he just make that number up off the top of his head? It could be 75% to the modder for all we know.

somewhere on steam you can read its 25% not exactly sure where right now
but on steam modders generally get 25% and for TF2 & Dota2 the modders are pretty happy with it

In response to post #24568539. #24568669, #24569369 are all replies on the same post.

AceeQ wrote:
boulegue wrote: dota started as a mod, counter strike started as a mod, team fortress started as a mod..... its been a business for well over 10 years just very little people could make money with it
CaedesAposis wrote: Microtransactioning Single-Player RPG games is one surefire way to kill a persons interest in a franchise.

I appreciate the fact AceeQ will maintain his mods for free.

I encourage folks to hunt around and snap up any older mods these "paid mods" authors have lying around on the Nexus and hold onto them. No matter what they say about "Oh, we won't ever charge for those" do not believe them. Grab them, and go. And if they start charging for them, share your copy then.

Do not encourage this disturbing trend of micro transactions, encourage DONATIONS.

Wet and Cold is already for 5 bucks in the workshop. So yes, I'd advice to download the mods here while you can IF you do not support this initiative.

While I don't think this is absolutely detrimental for the gaming community, the fact that most of our money will go to Valve, compatibility issues, problems with copyrights and other modder's resources, overpricing and consequent inflation, etc makes me doubt this move was thoroughly planned by Valve and Bethesda.

If Wet and Cold is 5$ RIGHT NOW, how much should the Immersive NPC's team charge for such a MASSIVE mod? 20 bucks seems fair. But 20 bucks means basically a new game. I would probably not download it.

Will they provide a top notch mod manager for us to use? Will modders care about compatibility issues with other fellow modders? (from now on, competitors?).

On the other hand, oblivion and Skyrim mods gave me at the very least a thousand of new content, and many more provided ways for me to enjoy vanilla content even more. Maybe it would be fair to pay for the mods I truly like. I think I should start modding in order to repay this wonderful community for once.

My biggest worry in all this is the mods that use content from several other mods...Project Nevada or the Yuki patch, for example. This is gonna cause money squabbles up and down the pike with modders fighting over the 25% that Valve has "graciously" (sarcasm implied) allowed them to make. Introducing a profit situation will always f**k up the works...it's far better to allow for donations that go STRAIGHT to the modder and not some sodding game company.

In response to post #24569794. #24569974 is also a reply to the same post.

Theseus12 wrote:
Aedred wrote: I'm unsure about that, because I noticed that there's a user on the Steam Workshop that posted a mod which takes things a bit further than my simple Vampiric Drain mod. If they decide to put that mod behind a pay wall, It's going to be really tough finding a mod like that, unless the player knows their way around the Creation Kit.

..on the contrary. Down the road this could mean a valid way to shut nexus down... :/