ℹ️ Download History temporarily unavailable ×

Steam and Bethesda remove paid modding from Skyrim Workshop

Dark0ne

In response to post #24731659. #24731874, #24731934, #24731964, #24732044, #24732099 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote:
mnelson999 wrote:
...Only 8% of the Skyrim audience has ever used a mod. Less than 1% has ever made one....
Speechless.
sheson wrote: Yes trying to force such a paradigm shift on the community without any prior public communications. Whatever were they thinking?

Lets hope we as a community learned a lesson or two as well. Because apparently we tent to over communicate.
sheson wrote: Wild guess: They counting consoles maybe?
Riprock wrote: Hmmm. I personally wouldn't make money decisions based on those numbers so I wonder. Grain of salt, etc on those figures. Eight percent...I'd bet one new dollar that was what they figured on, and then they found they weren't on the mark. Of course, this also gives a hint at how popular their game is.
phantompally76 wrote: So much for that 5% kickback.

Tough break.

That's of course based on the Steam Workshop numbers. I don't think they can really see if we use mods when we have Steam on Offline Mode, running the game in SKSE with Nexus-only mods for example, nor see if the time I spent in the Creation Kit led to any mods. If they said published mods, well that would be a little bit closer. Edited by JCDNWarrior

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24731924. #24732119, #24732384, #24732499 are all replies on the same post.

Mitch2129 wrote:
Cauldar wrote: Absolutely this. I have quietly sat back and watch the craziness over the last few days and it's been really difficult

I am going right now to donate to SkyUI, Frostfall, Immersive iHud and Wet & Cold. I've used their mods from the beginning and this has served as a good reminder that they've worked hard to make a great game even better. Thank you to all the modders for your great work!
JCDNWarrior wrote: This doesn't even have to be just donations, but supporting with friendly words and understanding, as well as offer even more support for beginning modders and promoting small-time modder's works if found to be potentially good.
spar117 wrote: It makes me realize just how under appreciated and under-rewarding mod developers are. Steam/Valve wanted modders rewarded for their work but went around it the wrong way. That system should have had a donation button in its place. I would certainly donate, but I am not that rich... **** it, I am going donate.

I wouldn't donate to SkyUI if someone gave me the money to donate. Their arrogance has been absolutely ridiculous.

f*#@ing delighted.

Yes Valve were foolish. Yes Bethesda were greedy. But I've been both at once on a daily basis, as have you. Revel in the moment, but be gracious everyone. It's a REALLY unusual thing for a big company to admit it made a mistake, so unanimously and so quickly. We should offer some credit to Valve and Beth for their part in accepting they were misguided. Don't belittle the losers.

But f*#@ yeah, we won!

EDIT: ANYONE WHO READS THIS, please please, take the time to donate a dollar or two to your favourite mod authours. They're the heroes we were fighting for.

Edited by neiljwd

In response to post #24731659. #24731874, #24731934, #24731964, #24732044, #24732099, #24732629 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote:
mnelson999 wrote:
...Only 8% of the Skyrim audience has ever used a mod. Less than 1% has ever made one....
Speechless.
sheson wrote: Yes trying to force such a paradigm shift on the community without any prior public communications. Whatever were they thinking?

Lets hope we as a community learned a lesson or two as well. Because apparently we tent to over communicate.
sheson wrote: Wild guess: They counting consoles maybe?
Riprock wrote: Hmmm. I personally wouldn't make money decisions based on those numbers so I wonder. Grain of salt, etc on those figures. Eight percent...I'd bet one new dollar that was what they figured on, and then they found they weren't on the mark. Of course, this also gives a hint at how popular their game is.
phantompally76 wrote: So much for that 5% kickback.

Tough break.
JCDNWarrior wrote: That's of course based on the Steam Workshop numbers. I don't think they can really see if we use mods when we have Steam on Offline Mode, running the game in SKSE with Nexus-only mods for example, nor see if the time I spent in the Creation Kit led to any mods. If they said published mods, well that would be a little bit closer.

"So much for that 5% kickback.

Tough break."

You can always go premium and help the Nexus out! :) Edited by jfisha

In response to post #24732124. #24732174, #24732224, #24732264, #24732339, #24732529, #24732594, #24732724 are all replies on the same post.

Salazanz wrote:
CelticPaladin wrote: Those "Greedy" modders are very unlikely to be back with their mods, and it's a damn shame.
JCDNWarrior wrote: I don't know if we could trust such modders anymore, though. We may also have to look out for spite updates from them for being caught between the two forces like this.

Having said that, I do hope they will return to the fold and redouble their modding efforts for the community.
phantompally76 wrote: It is. But others will take their place.
KoZAcK1021 wrote: Why? If they can't monetize it why not make it free?
calfurius wrote: Greedy modders? How is it greedy to sell what you work hard to make? Do you have a job? or have you ever sold a product that you made in your entire life?
Elta1 wrote: Too bad those "greedy modders" are some of the best modders.
Dark0ne wrote: Most of those "greedy modders" you speak of kept all the mods up on the Nexus, for free, through all this drama.

They are part of our community. Remember, every one of them contributed to this scene over the years. If they come back we should welcome them with open arms. Every one of us is one less of them. Edited by akkalat85

In response to post #24732344. #24732604 is also a reply to the same post.

CelticPaladin wrote:
calfurius wrote: I know quite a few modders became disgusted with the way some members of the modding community treated them. I'm mostly concerned if Chesko is coming back or not, he didn't deserve anywhere near the level of hate that he got.

I hope that's not the case.

I do, however, hope that in future they think twice about arrogantly condescending mod users looking for assistance with their mods in comments sections, like they have in the past. I'd stopped using some of their mods before this crap ever started because of that.

In response to post #24732344. #24732604, #24732704 are all replies on the same post.

CelticPaladin wrote:
calfurius wrote: I know quite a few modders became disgusted with the way some members of the modding community treated them. I'm mostly concerned if Chesko is coming back or not, he didn't deserve anywhere near the level of hate that he got.
phantompally76 wrote: I hope that's not the case.

I do, however, hope that in future they think twice about arrogantly condescending mod users looking for assistance with their mods in comments sections, like they have in the past. I'd stopped using some of their mods before this crap ever started because of that.

Hopefully time will make him realize that words on the internet are just words. We put way too much stock in typed messages.

In response to post #24732359. #24732454 is also a reply to the same post.

Reaper0021 wrote:
JCDNWarrior wrote: There was a massive war machine being prepared and pushed out from various anonymous sites throughout the days too, as well as the massive spreading of the information.

I very much doubt that Beth and Valve would've stopped if it wasn't for the absolutely massive resistance from modders, the community, and the gaming community as a whole.

Damn right. They really didn't need to end the whole thing like they did. It's almost comparable to the end of the Cold War.

In response to post #24732124. #24732174, #24732224, #24732264, #24732339, #24732529, #24732594, #24732694 are all replies on the same post.

Salazanz wrote:
CelticPaladin wrote: Those "Greedy" modders are very unlikely to be back with their mods, and it's a damn shame.
JCDNWarrior wrote: I don't know if we could trust such modders anymore, though. We may also have to look out for spite updates from them for being caught between the two forces like this.

Having said that, I do hope they will return to the fold and redouble their modding efforts for the community.
phantompally76 wrote: It is. But others will take their place.
KoZAcK1021 wrote: Why? If they can't monetize it why not make it free?
calfurius wrote: Greedy modders? How is it greedy to sell what you work hard to make? Do you have a job? or have you ever sold a product that you made in your entire life?
Elta1 wrote: Too bad those "greedy modders" are some of the best modders.
akkalat85 wrote: They are part of our community. Remember, every one of them contributed to this scene over the years. If they come back we should welcome them with open arms. Every one of us is one less of them.

Most of those "greedy modders" you speak of kept all ther mods up on the Nexus, for free, through all this drama. Edited by Dark0ne