Why do people hate Fallout 4 so much?

DreadedKat

Fallout 4 is an excellent RPG. I totally disagree with the posts saying it's going away from an RPG. It delivers.

Quite on the contrary, all the elements important to a roleplaying game have either been severely diminished or outright removed.

It's not an RPG because you have a few perks or abilities that you can put points into. A lot of games have that.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must confess to being a bit disappointed in this release, but coming from Skyrim (my all time favourite) with 240+ mods including, superb followers, homes, new lands and quests, I am sticking around to see what the modders produce to sort it out.

Meanwhile I will just wait and check the Nexus daily.

I must admit I was shocked to see just how poor the graphics are, there really isn't any excuse for a 2015 game to look like that

There is, it a game seven years in the making with a game engine that just as old.

In the other hand, while the textures are for some reason low res. The models look well made. Monsters, armors and building kit have many types and they just great. The game will look stunning with HD textures.

It looks more like something else is going on, this of course won't rule out ALL textures, there really are legit bad textures, (dem trees man) but something is off. You can not paint a s*** texture in Zbrush on a high level detail sculpt, its technically impossible.

Unless I'm so easy to please,I think the textures look fine on my char ?? Seems the lightning is killing a lot of detail in most places of the game. Also other problems, some of my monster enemies (ghouls, mutants and their hounds) look like they are using LoD textures, its like the chains are having this problem. The monsters look terrible in my game, while the texture in the actual BSA file I extracted looked fine in Photoshop.

Think I'll be digging around the texture files whenever I'm seeing something odd from now on. No guarantee I'll be able to find it, this one is being a pest to locate.

Edit; Seems like dropbox hates me, Imgur it is then

http://i.imgur.com/V9DWXIp.jpg

Edited by Aikospacerogue

I must admit I was shocked to see just how poor the graphics are, there really isn't any excuse for a 2015 game to look like that

There is, it a game seven years in the making with a game engine that just as old.

In the other hand, while the textures are for some reason low res. The models look well made. Monsters, armors and building kit have many types and they just great. The game will look stunning with HD textures.

It looks more like something else is going on, this of course won't rule out ALL textures, there really are legit bad textures, (dem trees man) but something is off. You can not paint a s*** texture in Zbrush on a high level detail sculpt, its technically impossible.

Unless I'm so easy to please,I think the textures look fine on my char ?? Seems the lightning is killing a lot of detail in most places of the game. Also other problems, some of my monster enemies (ghouls, mutants and their hounds) look like they are using LoD textures, its like the chains are having this problem. The monsters look terrible in my game, while the texture in the actual BSA file I extracted looked fine in Photoshop.

Think I'll be digging around the texture files whenever I'm seeing something odd from now on. No guarantee I'll be able to find it, this one is being a pest to locate.

F4caged%20armor.png

I think you hit the nail on the head with the lighting, it's so bright it's washing a lot of the detail away, in the right light they don't look too bad.

They say that no good RPGs have a voiced character but they do, The Dragon Age Series, Guild Wars 2, and others that get high praise. Another thing that they complain about is the graphics. I know games recently have been photo realistic, but if you judge a game by the graphics than you shouldn't be calling yourself a gamer. In the last two years there have been many good games that aren't photo realistic and expecting an A list game to look like that is just stupid.

Thank you , I DO call myself both a gamer and a modder, as I just said in another thread, I like me a bit of sharpness in the graphics department for the simple reason that my eyesight is poor. Did you think of that before you made that rather ill judged remark? I do not say photo realistic, after all I still take a turn in the world of Morrowind and Oblivion, both of which I find easier on the eye and beautiful in their own way. FO4 is, as someone rightly said, very bleached out for one thing, low res for another . But hey, once we can figure out how to get Adobe Creative Suite and Blender etc working on those game files, not to mention get hold of the GECK, me and some friends are full of ideas how to make it better.

You get used it with time.

The folder path is the same.

Data>textures>armor>caged armor. BTW, how did you removed the helmet?

Hm guess I'v seen over it, I'll look when I can later :)

I didn't put it on, I just went to that room with all the possible items, it has a recognizable chest plate so it was easy to find.

'You get used it with time'

The lightning, or the texturework ?

Been playing and getting close to everything to force the LoD texture to leave, the textures are excellent on Ultra... to a large degree. Mistakes have been made. I'v found 1 texture so far that is obviously too small, has a piece that has been enlarged (thus pixelated) and just screams 'rookie without supervisor'. I'm sure thers more props like that.

Now, I'm not gonna be angry at this, I can't, I hope to be in their position someday and just I'm really glad this industry doesn't pull the '7 years of experience and titles under your belt before you get in' bullshittery , but this is still an embarrassing oversight.

If it wasn't for the lighting and the LoD bug (and perhaps even a map mismatch as my ghouls are not looking normal at all) this would have been 'yeah ok I found something, lets move on' instead of another thing you've seen going wrong in the last 10 minutes getting on peoples nerves screaming the game is ugly and old.

When it comes to models and textures the game seems to be doing really great under the right specs, when the light is properly balanced and not vomiting all over it, its sadly enough hurting a lot because of these other factors ruining the hard work of the artists : /

I hate Fallout 4 right now because I can't play it on any of my computers. We have 8 computers in my house and not one of them will run it. Way too laggy. Grrrrrr.

My wife (Plays XboxOne) is on the fence about it right now because she said "It's not cutesy. I want my character to be able to wear sexy clothes and armor." She hates MechArmor.

My Youngest son (PS4) loves it. Well, he pretty much loves any game in which he gets to shoot people. Hmmmm. :blush:

Edited by yellotang

I think after ragequitting last night and getting upset about how many things are so disappointing I took a deep breath and tried to look at the positives.

First, it's a new game so a lot of things are different from previous versions which can be difficult to adapt to.

The learning curve seems incredibly steep and I wasn't expecting that. I think this will require several restarts with new characters before I learn what I'm doing.

When Skyrim came out it was 100 hours of blissful exploration and endless joy. Of course comparing it to Skyrim it will fall short. We should judge it on the merits of the game as a standalone and not compare it to Elder Scrolls series.

I really think that as I begin to learn how it all works I will stop hating it and start liking it. I am more mad at myself for dying and sucking than I am mad at the game I think.