Nexus Mod Manager, the Nexus Client, entering closed BETA

Dark0ne

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to be a Mod author within the next year focusing on Skyrim. I have been playing around with mods for Oblivion throughout the time I have been a member here, learning a little here and there as I go through the different installation methods and distribution. I have really enjoyed the spirit of the nexus sites, and I am in full support for this program. I am currently going to school for Game Design and Development, and I plan on using the skills I gain with the education, the passion for the games, as well as the imagination I am told that I have to bring more content for users and authors. I hope that I can share what skills I have and have access to while I am in college. As for the Nexus Client, I am excited to see it working and to be using it when I start my own moding experience.

The wait for this program is straight killin' me, dawg. Not having a reasonably functional .fomod manager is the (self-imposed) reason I haven't finished F:NV's original content or played any of the downloadable content, all of which I own.

I may just have to go back to FOMM and hope Bethesda doesn't decide arbitrarily to update their game, as that will invariably break all mah stuff and reveal my hilarious incapacity to repair it.

So, uh...can I help test it? Please? I NEED MAH FIX, MAN.

I guess we got no ETA on the New Mod Manager yet? I have not even logged into my Fallouts, since I heard of a more user friendly Mod manager is in the mix. That old FOMM can be a pain at times. Looking forward to the new and improved Mod Manager. Looks to me most mods are on the back burner for now until the new mod manager gets finished. What will hapen with the old Mods we have installed now, from the old FOMM, when the new mod manager gets finished? Will all mod files, both on Nexus Fallout 3, and Nexus fallout New vegas site, will be updated for use of the new Mod manager? Will there be a conflict on the new mood manger vs the old FOMM?

Anyways: Keep up the good work ladies and gents. Looking forward to the new Mod manager. Kudos to all, that are working on this project.

This is great news! I recently had a long time away (reasons too long to mention) and was close to a few mod devs. I am back now.. new OS, new Hardware, New Me.. new everything. Just reinstalled the game from my Steam Account and decided today is as good a day as any to get back on it. Just went ahead and bought some expansions that weren't around before I vanished. Love the RePlay Value of this game and I especially love how it is kept fairly open source.. thus permitting a never ending sea of.... "newness"? Yes, that's the word!

I was going to go after FOMM and start gathering mods of the past but saw this thread. Kaburke.. you devil you.. I sat in the FOMM comments for I don't know how long compiling tutorial after tutorial.. troubleshooting .. and all the rest. I never dropped my loyalty for an add-on that just seemed to be a straight No Brainer in the beginning. I knew that ultimately the big release would come and huzzah... here it is.

You guys take your time and get all the nuts and bolts as tight (not too tight) as possible and release the Holy Grail of necessities for this and all other Nexus Games. I wish you guys the best of luck but I know that isn't really needed as you guys already have impressed so much. Kaburke.. even with a partially broken FOMM it is still praised and used wildly. That says a lot about your skills. You made something that would survive future patches and updates... that shows this next manager is going to be a cold hearted thriller.

Really can't wait to see it.. use it.. and love it. Until then, I'll play my game in the vanilla and await the day this beast gets released... worthy enough to not break our saved games. ;)

Crazy Respect to you and yours.. all you devs out there,

-JLander

So.... I see links to "Download With Manager" yet no announcement of what that's for? :P

So.... I see links to "Download With Manager" yet no announcement of what that's for? :P

I guess we just have to wait a bit. (And it seems only those with access to the Mod Author Forum can see it now...)

:) I was just looking for the same information.

Noticed "Download with Manager" on the Wrye Bash BAIN files I have uploaded all over the bazaars for other authors ....

will it just recognize all files in a complex BAIN as being installable and the user loses all the possible choices?.

Will downloaders present us with a flood of "I installed your files with the manager and now my game doesn't work"

In an ideal world they might all read the readme's and short file descriptions and realize Wrye Bash is needed ... I have my doubts :)

Or .. Will this manager recognize a complex BAIN and Wizard installer script and warn the user its not capable of installing the files as intended?

We'll have to have an option for mod authors to specify if they want that link there (e.g. you can turn it off if you know your file doesn't work with NMM) but for now, it's just on every file uploaded to the database for the beta.

NMM works with the script extenders but AFAIK doesn't have support for BAIN/Wrye. It's open source, however, and I've spoken to a few of the Wrye people about working with us to integrate or make compatible at least parts of both programs, but right now, our focus is on NMM, not on compatibility for other programs. As it is, I think a very large percentage of site users are going to be more than content with NMM as their main mod manager. It's just when you want the more complicated stuff that more custom solutions might be needed.

Announcement very soon.