Nexus Mod Manager, the Nexus Client, entering closed BETA

Dark0ne

That's what I call a good project. If the software is going to be smart enough to download mods, track the updates and, especially, to install and uninstall mods automatically, any amount of time spent developing it will be well spent. That will also differentiate Nexus from other mod-sites.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems wonderful...the only question I have is once you decide you wish to use this awesome feature if there is a mod you would like to install yourself for some reason you can..or once you decide to use it then you have to for every mod?

Kaburke had this to say on the matter:

Complicated question. The answers depends on what one means by "can you."

There is nothing stopping you from manually installing mods, but doing so could have unintended consequences. Let us consider an example:

You use the client to install Mod A. The mod installs fun_file.dds. You then install Mod B using the client. This mod overwrites fun_file.dds.

Now, if you were to uninstall Mod B, the client would restore Mod A's version of fun_file.dds, as expected.

Now, let us assume we have installed Mod A, then Mod B, with the Client. We then manually install Mod C. This mod overwrites fun_file.dds

The game will work, all is well.

Now, we use the client to uninstall Mod B. The Client has no way of knowing that we installed Mod C, so it assumes that the version of fun_file.dds currently installed belongs to Mod B. Thus, upon uninstallation, the Client restores Mod A's version of the file, overwritng the version installed by Mod C. Thus the installed state of the mods is likely not what the user expects.

So, yes you can install mods manually, but doing so defeats one of the main points of using a mod manager: tracking what you have installed, so that you can undo them.

If you want the manager to be able to uninstall a mod, then it only makes sense that the manager needs to be part of all mod installs, otherwise it won't know how to clean up.

So yes, you can, but if you do you've got to expect some discrepancies and "change of service" from what the Mod Manager is supposed to do for you.

Marvelous! This will be interesting to follow!

Also it explains why Kaburke has been so quiet, started to get worried there a bit. This application for sure have taken a lot of time and efforts to make ready and I look forward to try it as soon it is released.

Keeping track of the latest release and combinations can be a nightmare if you run lot of mods, this could be a real pain saver both for users and modders.

Nice Work!

lets hope this goes better than the new website.is there an opt out ? i bet its crawling with ads

in fact i saw kaburkes answer there, i reckon its gonna be a headache for us old users, i got tons of mods already installed via fomm obmm etc, so ill give this a miss.

good for new users i guess

Edited by biosman

I noticed the reference to C# and concluding from FOMM I suspect it will use Microsoft's CLR. What I would like to know is, if it uses .Net or Mono. Or, in other words, could it be possible to build it with Mono instead of .Net? If yes, has it ever been tested? (I'd prefer Mono for obvious reasons. .Net has always been a pain.)