Nexus Mod Manager, the Nexus Client, entering closed BETA

Dark0ne

i REALLY hope this thing allows you to have the data files somewhere else than you have now. there wil (OBVIOUSLY) be a lot of data when you have like 60 mods active, and 60 more mods inactive. it is easy to go beyond the 20 gb limit. (think the fomm has a feature like that, but it did not work for me)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an awesome piece of news. And hopefully we can get used to the new client just in time for Skyrim :)

Guess I am going to have to make a part 9 for my tutorial series after all ....

Edited by Gopher

To be honest, this makes me excited. A more streamlined mod manager, and for all the games supported by the Nexus sites? This sounds great to me. Sure, I'm still going to have my library of mods on my system(since my connection isn't fast), but this will make it so much easier to keep them working and up to date!

We really, really like it when mod authors work together, share their work with others and allow other mod authors to use their work. We want to set an example here and say "here's what we've made, please, use it, modify it to your liking, make it better and share it with others". Copyleft licensing is something we think more mod authors should aspire to.

This heartens me more than the announcement of the client itself. Especially coming from the site owner himself.

How about clear 'Copyleft' type permissions for the mods themselves? Or am I missing it...

This seems wonderful...the only question I have is once you decide you wish to use this awesome feature if there is a mod you would like to install yourself for some reason you can..or once you decide to use it then you have to for every mod?

Kaburke had this to say on the matter:

Complicated question. The answers depends on what one means by "can you."

There is nothing stopping you from manually installing mods, but doing so could have unintended consequences. Let us consider an example:

You use the client to install Mod A. The mod installs fun_file.dds. You then install Mod B using the client. This mod overwrites fun_file.dds.

Now, if you were to uninstall Mod B, the client would restore Mod A's version of fun_file.dds, as expected.

Now, let us assume we have installed Mod A, then Mod B, with the Client. We then manually install Mod C. This mod overwrites fun_file.dds

The game will work, all is well.

Now, we use the client to uninstall Mod B. The Client has no way of knowing that we installed Mod C, so it assumes that the version of fun_file.dds currently installed belongs to Mod B. Thus, upon uninstallation, the Client restores Mod A's version of the file, overwritng the version installed by Mod C. Thus the installed state of the mods is likely not what the user expects.

So, yes you can install mods manually, but doing so defeats one of the main points of using a mod manager: tracking what you have installed, so that you can undo them.

If you want the manager to be able to uninstall a mod, then it only makes sense that the manager needs to be part of all mod installs, otherwise it won't know how to clean up.

So yes, you can, but if you do you've got to expect some discrepancies and "change of service" from what the Mod Manager is supposed to do for you.

OK...:tongue:

Good enough...I ask only for mods that use different skeleton and things like that I usually do by hand. Thanks for the answer.

I think this has the potential to be a wonderful tool. For us that have been playing heavily modded Oblivion/FO3/NV etc for years, it's old hat to install most mods. However, I have a friend that lives out of state and the all day phone support session trying to help him install modded Oblivion was a disaster. (Well, he was also drunk as a skunk which didn't help). Having a tool that any "noob" can download and install that can make the modded life easier would be a huge boon for the community of modders and modded.

The way I install mods is a little quirky and hard drive space intensive. I download to a "downloads" folder. Double click the archived files and the 7zip file manager becomes my decompression interface. The problem is that I not only have the installed mod on my hard drive in my data folder but also have another copy in my "downloads folder". It's not tough to delete that stuff but it's inconvenient. This sounds like the tool that will get me out of a bad habit and save me 20-40 gigs of hard drive space for each game. Not bad.

Can you imagine if 80% of all installation errors were removed from the process? That would just be amazing in my book. Good luck on working through the Beta phase quickly and painlessly. I can't wait to download this thing.

Wulf

This is great Dark0ne! Not only will we be able to keep our mods updated regularly, we will also be able to do it all in a nice, single package. Anything that streamlines the process is welcome in my book and I am excited by this news. One question though, and it can be answered by anyone who knows: Will this manager work with Morrowind? Getting mods to work on Morrowind was more difficult to use and keep track of because the mod programs were sort of sketchy. You said this will work with all of the Nexus sites(eventually) and I just wanted to know if I could look forward to Morrowind getting a healthy updated manager. It would really make replaying it with lots of mods I think. Also, will BOSS, and its Fallout equivalents(Idk what they are, I dont play Fallout much with mods) be incorporated to make the mods play nice together? Thanks either way and I look forward to the initial release.

Last question: will this be planned to work with Skyrim if it is found to be compatable?