Help: Skyrim "data files" unclickable

kiekieboek

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Microsoft essentials security program. I also have steam installed in C:/Program Files x86

Hmmm, so do I this time around and mine is working correctly. You could possibly try moving Steam to a different directory altogether such as C:\Games. Here is how;-

Moving a Steam Installation and Games

well, I'm glad it worked for you Mattdawson. Hopefully I can fix this once and for all.

Actually, now that you mention it, I had managed to get it working again, but it broke itself somehow. I'm thinking there HAS to be another secret skyrimprefs.ini folder somewhere that the skyrim launcher is using as a location. Also, I don't have a "My Documents" or "Documents" folder. I don't know why, I'll ask my father (Tech wizard of the family) as to why I do not have those folders.

@Guard55 there are TWO locations that have skyrimprefs.ini The right one to change is the one located at C:\users\your_user_name\my documents\my games\Skyrim\skyrimprefs.ini

Changing the other one will not help. But it shouldn't hurt anything either. That one should be in the

The C:\Users\your_user_name\Documents\Games\skyrim (or My Documents) is a folder that is automatically created when you create your user account in Win 7 or Vista. For WinXP it is a little different C:\documents and settings\ your_user_name\documents\my games\Skyrim - but it MUST be there for the game to work.

If you do have an account on that computer it should be there BTW, all of your saves are located there too, in C:\Users\your_user_name\Documents\Games\Skyrim\saves - so if you are able to save and load saved games you should have a documents folder or they wouldn't have anywhere to go.

As for the location you reported it -

For some reason, the SkyrimPrefs.ini file is in my C:/Users/(LOL Censored Name)/AppData/Local/Skyrim/My Games
The game should not be able to find it at all and should just crash. That looks like part of one path and part of a different one jammed together. :psyduck: