Site redesign - sneak peek - part 1

TheTokenGeek

I'd really wish to see a working demo. The first thing I will worry about this design is the loading speed. There are hundred of random stuff that gets loaded when you browsing the site. The design is very unique but you show us only, a very small part. We all curios how will look our mod pages, what new function you add to make it more interesting and functional.

In overview the site look very cool, those ajax script are great, but there is still a lot of work to be done.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #41272325. #41274465, #41275065 are all replies on the same post.

J Allin wrote: If it aint broke, don't fix it... ;)
pedantic wrote: Sage advice :)
sonogu wrote: Which must have been told more than a year ago, before the hundreds of hours hard work :)

sonogu
Which must have been told more than a year ago, before the hundreds of hours hard work

This is the first I've heard about it?

In response to post #41271905. #41273550, #41273750, #41273885 are all replies on the same post.

Supertin wrote: Looks very clean and professional! I like it for the most part.

The only thing I don't really like (at all) is that there is going to be an option to download mods without ever visting the mod page/description. People already have trouble reading description pages, so giving them even less incentive to read them is not a good idea I'd say.
stickbow wrote: I agree with Supertin - unless you are seeing a lot of abandon rates when people visit description pages that you think are not related to "I can't use/don't want to use that mod", I'd send people to the description page.

You also lose an opportunity for revenue from AdClick (or whoever you use) on the interstitial page before downloading.
ousnius wrote: I'm surprised so many other people don't like that idea as well. As far as I'm concerned, I've already told Paul about it when he first asked us for feedback, but it didn't sound like it was something they would be willing to change.

I remember something about it being possible to disable it for your mod, but I'm not sure anymore.
HadToRegister wrote: Endorsements for mods will drop exponentially as well.
And honestly, this looks too much like the Bethesda.net modding site

Well, the mod scene is going in the direction of catering to the lowest common denominator. Perhaps the Nexus wants to appeal to the kind of people who don't care enough to read a mod description.

The random mod is a very nice idea but the "Welcome to.." -info text and other stuff in the head part, should instead be put in a scroller to save a lot of space. But perhaps that space is also reserved for advertisements? Anyhow, it looks really nice. I also hope there will be a function to easy find recently updated mods and not as for now, recently updated modpage. For us manually installers, it's a rather useless function for now, unless I have missed something and that is totally possible. :D Cheers

In response to post #41274875. #41275080 is also a reply to the same post.

vlainstrike wrote: A useful feature to add would be more precise user defined time frame parameters when searching under either "Advanced Search" or "Top Files".

Under Top Files, users are currently restricted to "all time", "the last 2 weeks", and "recently added", and under Advanced Search they are restricted to "all time", "past 24 hr", "past week", "past 2 weeks", "past month" and "past year"

I'd like to see those restrictions either replaced, or at least expanded, to include specific start & stop dates as input by the user, such that the following is possible:

sort by: endorsements; descending
Release Date start: 1 june 2014
Release Date stop: 15 feb 2016

I'd also like the option to replace Release Date start/stop with Last Updated start/stop like this:

sort by: downloads; descending
Last Updated start: 1 june 2014
Last Updated stop: 15 feb 2016

Advanced Search and Top Files are already very powerful Nexus tools, and I'm thankful for that. They're just missing that one last piece to make it perfect, in my opinion.
HadToRegister wrote: Don't forget sorting by "LAST UPDATED"

I use that one A LOT

Certainly! I definitely don't want to see any current functionality lost. I just want the option to use specific start/stop dates added.

It should still be entirely possible to do something like:

sort by: last updated; ascending
Last Updated start date: 16 July 2014
Last Updated stop date: 9 Aug 2016 Edited by vlainstrike

In response to post #41271475. #41271555, #41271810, #41272480 are all replies on the same post.

mysticentity wrote: Looking really good.
I'm a bit hesitant about the download link right in the mod browsing section only because that could lead to more angry/confused/silly comments directed at the mod authors because the downloader didn't read the description to fully understand what he/she/they were downloading.
CreeperLava wrote: Agreed, I said the same thing a few posts below :).
Gribbleshnibit8 wrote: You say that as though anyone reads the descriptions even after clicking through to the mod page...
CreeperLava wrote: Having the description below is at least an incentive to read it, removing that incentive won't ameliorate the situation in any way... What would you propose ?

+1 to this, even with red text disclaimers on the first line and clearly stated info people sometimes just ignore it, having direct downloads will only make this much much worse. If anything I'd add something to make it harder for people to download without at least going past the description. Annoying, but stupid comments are also annoying. On the other hand, I guess there will always be stupid people being stupid, but encouraging their stupidity won't make it any better.

In response to post #41273920.

starfis wrote: It looks like a good start. I usually don't bother with nexus homepage because I'm modding only one game at the time, two games max, but I guess this could help me not to miss the interesting new mods for games I currently don't play. That said I'm looking forward to the preview of how a single game site/ mod page looks and works.

I'm not sure I like the idea of direct download. From the perspective of the mod user it looks like a timesaver, especially when updating dozens of mods I already know, but it could really annoy the mod authors with the amount of stupid comments why this or that doesn't work while they already explained everything. Maybe let the authors decide whether or not they want this thing active when uploading a mod, while keeping it disabled by default.

Good point. :) I second this.