⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

SKSE

Lodbrok

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that HDT was a SKSE plugin, and not part of the core functionality of SKSE. (A quick lookup showed that as I was unfamiliar with the functionality.) Right now I am focused on the base functionality of SKSE64 - in particular on the hooks needed for SkyUI (by far and away the most popular SKSE-based mod.)

Havok changes may also be difficult to implement in the SKSE64 core, as Ian works for a game company and likely has access to the Havok code. I know in the past he has said he cannot participate in any Havok-related porting. That is not to say that SKSE64 couldn't have that functionality - just that Ian can't work on it.

Here are the unknowns in my mind:

1. Who owns the HDT plugin, and are they planning on porting it?
  2. Is the plugin truly open source so that others can work on it and/or integrate/replicate the functionality
  3. Has the Havok code perhaps changed with the update?
  4. Could the functionality be added to the SKSE64 core?

Getting answers to these questions, with the additional caveat that there isn't a SKSE64 for plugins to use, will give us an idea about when we might see this functionality.

I will admit that having capes with havok physics would probably be pretty cool.

@behippo and the silverlock team

Thanks a ton for your work, even though I wish I could use SKSE64 and SkyUI now, I on the other side will wait until it's done. Two phases I'd like to share here:

"Soon™"

"It's done, when it's done"

Those phrases I used a lot during my previous job.

yes the HDT physics extension is an SKSE plugin found here

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53996/?

the page has a link to a google code page where the source can be found

1. the HDT plugin belongs to HydrogensaysHDT - a Chinese modder from the arrow & knee mod team, i don't know if she plans on porting it but she seems to have gotten busy (maybe work) she was last active on nexus in september but there is another person that has permissions on the mod page named monsto who was last on October 31st he may be able to contact her or shed some light on the issues discussed here

2. i know she made the source available but i have not seen any terms stated for the code itself

3. no idea

4. HDT PE uses xml files to define how physics will be applied to objects so it's not very easy to tweak for the average user if it was to be added to SKSE64 core i would think it would need to be easier to tweak, an XML file that works good for small boobs may make big boobs freak out - collision require extra work for the user to get working and an XML file for collision on one body part can conflict with an XML file for another part causing havok to go nuts - i think the XML stuff might work better designed from the ground up with ease of use in mind and while i would use it if it was in the SKSE64 core (i love my flowing capes) i'm not sure if it should be there...

there are people that know far more about HDT PE than i do and my programming knowledge is rather pathetic, i'm self-taught and only programming as a hobby (a 20 year hobby but still just a hobby) so i could be completely off point on anything programming related - i learned c++ to understand how to use the win 32 API in VB 6

i hope this helps

Edited by tazdotnet

Havok also long stopped being open source(you can no longer get their tool for free).

Just out of curiosity - how does open source code in Havok become not open source?

Most open source licenses expressly prohibit that kind of behavior.

Kind of like when Wix was caught stealing GPL code from WordPress for use in their private product.

Havok also long stopped being open source(you can no longer get their tool for free).

Â

Just out of curiosity - how does open source code in Havok become not open source?

Kind of like when Wix was caught stealing GPL code from WordPress for use in their private product.

I don't believe it was ever open source. It had a license to download free of charge. But never had the source code available or terms that said it would never become a non free to download tool.

Â

I don't believe it was ever open source. It had a license to download free of charge. But never had the source code available or terms that said it would never become a non free to download tool.

That sounds right to me. Free to download is not at all the same as open source.

Â

That sounds right to me. Free to download is not at all the same as open source.

What's even crazier, even if it were open-source that doesn't mean it's free. It just means the source code is available for review. I've seen some commercial products that are open-source but not free to use in any way.