[FIX] To anyone who experiences low framerates, FPS drops in Skyrim: SE

IE33

I'm trying to start by using fullscreen mode, but for some reason my game crashes after the Bethesda logo and IDK why. Windowed borderless mode works alright (only I have some FPS drops, that's why I was trying this in the first place). It does work at fullscreen with 1280x720 res, and of course it improves the FPS.

As for Step 2, I can't find skyrim.ini (is skyrim_default.ini the same?)

Also, iPresentInterval and iVSyncPresentInterval are not in there, or in SkyrimPrefs to be modified. Do I add them manually?

Edited by LucasKaneqd

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to think that Bethesda games just don't like AMD cards... I "upgraded" from a 4 gigabyte Nvidia graphics card to an 8 gig AMD card, and I'm noticing that the 4 gig card did better than the 8 gig card, WTF Bethesda?

Also I tried the settings posted here in the initial post with no real improvement.

I'm starting to think that Bethesda games just don't like AMD cards... I "upgraded" from a 4 gigabyte Nvidia graphics card to an 8 gig AMD card, and I'm noticing that the 4 gig card did better than the 8 gig card, WTF Bethesda?

Also I tried the settings posted here in the initial post with no real improvement.

Well, vram isn't the only important thing about performance. Most important is the chipset... You should never buy a gpu just by it's vram size.

That a 4gb card outperform an 8gb card has nothing to do with Bethesda (most likely, based on the little information here).

Edited by L3s7ing

Well, vram isn't the only important thing about performance. Most important is the chipset... You should never buy a gpu just by it's vram size.

That a 4gb card outperform an 8gb card has nothing to do with Bethesda (most likely, based on the little information here).

Probably a bit late to be asking at this point. But what is important about the chip set? There is so much stuff out there, that it's hard to know what to get if you're trying to save some money and don't build computers as a hobby, or just have little knowledge regarding that subject.

I'm using a Radeon ( tm ) RX 480 graphics card. I was using an Nvidia geforce GTX 760.

Edited by Mythos214

Â

Â

Well, vram isn't the only important thing about performance. Most important is the chipset... You should never buy a gpu just by it's vram size.Â

That a 4gb card outperform an 8gb card has nothing to do with Bethesda (most likely, based on the little information here).

Â

Â

Probably a bit late to be asking at this point. But what is important about the chip set? There is so much stuff out there, that it's hard to know what to get if you're trying to save some money and don't build computers as a hobby, or just have little knowledge regarding that subject.

Â

I'm using a Radeon ( tm ) RX 480 graphics card. I was using an Nvidia geforce GTX 760.

Well... That's interesting.

A friend of mine upgraded from a gtx 770 to the rx 480 and got a significant improvement. That's the way it should be.

Regarding the vram I was just generally speaking, in this case also the vram should give some good boost.

Edited by L3s7ing

It would have been very interesting to see a compairisation here about the performance in this game between owners of similiar Nvidia and AMD cards. Ok. then also the CPU in question have to be listed.

This, as i begin to wonder if not Nvidia cards generally perform better than the AMD counterpart in Skyrim old and SSE?

I myself own a Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4 gb. And a FX 6300 CPU at stock speed. And I only get 60 fps steady inside interiours. And average about 42 - 47 in exteriours. Lowest = 28 fps. Then I have no mod exceeding 2K installed. And 1920 x 1080 resoloution on a 60 Mhz monitor.

What amaze me is that when running the Unengine Valley benchmark at high settings and 4 X AA or Dishonered 1 for example at high settings I get better fps.

Â

Â

Well, vram isn't the only important thing about performance. Most important is the chipset... You should never buy a gpu just by it's vram size.Â

That a 4gb card outperform an 8gb card has nothing to do with Bethesda (most likely, based on the little information here).

Â

Â

Â

Well... That's interesting.

A friend of mine upgraded from a gtx 770 to the rx 480 and got a significant improvement. That's the way it should be.

Regarding the vram I was just generally speaking, in this case also the vram should give some good boost.

I did get a significant boost to how fast textures and buildings load when playing Fallout 4, however even in that game the older graphics card seemed to preform better. I'm wondering if it could be the ram I'm using or my CPU, my CPU is an AMD Phenom II ( tm ) x4 965 Processor, and I have 8 gigs of system memory.

The graphics card is the newest part on the computer by the way, I built the computer its self about 4 years ago, not sure if that would have any effect on the experiences I'm having.

• 1 month later...

This is might be help and I am unsure if anyone has said to do this, but I disabled: 'Playing in *Insert OS* compatibility mode' on both the launcher and the .exe for the game.

As well I added in the line: iVSyncPresentInterval=0 into the SkyrimPrefs.ini located in Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim Special Edition\Skyrim and Voila, my game is now at the 60+ fps I wanted. Obviously I know the game breaks at 60+ but I have limited it to 60 so it works with no issues. I also made all the .ini files (SkyrimPrefs.ini in Documents and Steam folders and the Skyrim.ini in Documents) READ ONLY, so the game wouldn't change them when launching, playing or closing. Just remember to have your graphics what you want them to be in the Launcher, otherwise you will have to make the .ini files NOT READ ONLY, change the settings and then make the files READ ONLY again.

For those who are wondering why I added that line to the .ini and why I am posting this on a relatively old thread, is because my Skyrim was actually working perfectly fine up until a day or two of me writing this, and for whatever reason, it became dog s*** in terms of FPS, outside I got no more than 15 fps, inside maximum was 60, but generally walking around inside it gave about 30 fps, and every fix on the internet that I found didn't fix it, so I thought to add the line I stated in the .ini I stated and it worked, to my surprise, both through the .exe and through launching from Steam. If this fix doesn't work then I really don't know what is up with your Skyrim Special Edition sorry!

For those curious in case you try to point out it was my computer, here are my CPU, RAM and Graphics Card:

Intel i7-4790k @4.0GHz

4 x 8GB HyperX Fury @1600MHz

4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

That plays Fallout 4 at near Max settings @60fps easily, it 100% was not my computer being the problem :smile:

Edit: If you have problems with Fallout 4 too, try to do what I said here for it. That game had the same problem which Skyrim (for me) has here and weirldy it was around the same time too, so my guess bethesda did something behind the lines but hey ho it's fixed. That game was among the ones tested for seeing if it was My Computer, the others where Overwatch, Dying Light and Subnautica at Max Settings, those games were 60+ fps.

Further Edit: If it isn't clear when trying to fix Fallout 4 incase you have the same problem, the line that needs adding or fixing (if you already have it that is) is: iPresentInterval=0, if you have it and it says =1 change it to =0. Hope any of this helps =)

Edited by StevenBaker96

• 2 weeks later...

Holy some high $$ hardware floating around here. My GTX 960 & AMD A4-6300 @ 3.7GHz

with 1768x1000 resolution on ultra settings runs a solid 60fps. With the occasional hiccup.

Heaven benchmark also at a solid 60fps.

Cheers.