Steam Workshop EULA/Legal Agreement

Dark0ne

Unless my eyes doth deceive me, the Steam Workshop EULA hasn't changed for Skyrim like people suspected. Woe is me.

Not surprising --- figure the EULA as it stands gives valve the rights to reuse any models - textures - etc. that modders upload for any future game they may want them for as well as giving them the right to sell those items to third parties so a veritable windfall for Valve -- Sure they will still let you use your work in any manner you wish but they also are giving the rights to do anything they want with your work since you hit the submit button and agreed to it !!

Guess modders that develop new models etc. to help others add to their mods better be careful who they allow to use the items since as soon as it is uploaded to Steamworks - Valve gets a perpetual unrevokable license to use it as they please with no royalty payment or permission needed !

With respect to Third Party Games, the end user license or subscription terms for the Third Party Game may provide to You or third parties different ownership rights and responsibilities for Contributions.

Free and Paid Distribution Valve may choose to distribute Your Contribution for free and/or for a fee. Where Valve distributes Your Contribution for free, Valve has no obligation to compensate You. With respect to Third Party Games, Your end user license or subscription terms may preclude You from giving Valve the right to distribute Your Contribution for a fee.

Am I wrong to believe that the underlines sentences mean that Valve's rights are limited by the EULA attached to the CK and the Game itself?

^I think so.

Guess modders that develop new models etc. to help others add to their mods better be careful who they allow to use the items since as soon as it is uploaded to Steamworks - Valve gets a perpetual unrevokable license to use it as they please with no royalty payment or permission needed !

Hmmm, maybe.

Edited by Ghogiel

Am I wrong in thinking that something like what you describe is illegal unless the original creator gives their permission? You can't lose your copyright just because somebody else uploads your work somewhere, no matter what they put in the EULA.

You represent and warrant:

a.that You are free to enter into the Agreement, and that You have full legal power and authority to enter into this Agreement;

b.that the Contribution submitted pursuant to this Agreement was originally created by You (and, with respect to a Group Contribution, the other Contributors);

c.that the Contribution submitted pursuant to this Agreement does not infringe or violate any copyright, trade secret, trademark, or other proprietary or personal right held by any party other than You and (with respect to a Group Contribution only) the other Contributors; and

d.that the Contribution submitted pursuant to this Agreement does not violate any applicable contract, law or regulation.

That wouldn't apply if you're submitting art created by somebody else.

Edited by Merilia

Free and Paid Distribution

Valve may choose to distribute Your Contribution for free and/or for a fee. Where Valve distributes Your Contribution for free, Valve has no obligation to compensate You. With respect to Third Party Games, Your end user license or subscription terms may preclude You from giving Valve the right to distribute Your Contribution for a fee.

So if I read this correctly, Steam gets pull an income off our idea's and work?

The modding community helped build TES series into what it is today. Why are we getting run up the flag pole?

Thats just it. Not going to be modding skyrim for the steam community. lol

When it comes to such a powerful and or complex user agreement just to share work it can get difficult and risky when modifying other peoples resorces. agreeing to anything like that when uploading a file just to share with the comunity can get you into a lot of trouble if you are not careful.

A relative of mine who is a lawyer always tells me to never agree to any kind of online agreement when uploading anything that is more than a few short paragraphs long. It's like leasing a shopping center. Unless you have a good broker behind you any lease is by defualt against the tenant in every way possible.

Guess My plans of future work will just remain for oblivion for now.

Edit: If this agreement doesn't change TES games will turn into games with less re-play value as time goes by with less original resorces being intoduced and shared with the community.

Edited by colourwheel

Am I wrong to believe that the underlines sentences mean that Valve's rights are limited by the EULA attached to the CK and the Game itself?

Nope, that's exactly what those underlined bits say. That they can't contradict the EULA for the CK just because they've got different terms for their own stuff.

The EULA for Skyrim's CK is word for word identical to the one for Oblivion's CS. Or so close as to be indistinguishable. So I don't see much need to start panicking over this.

What part of the CKs license actually preclude you from the STEAM license though. I've not combed it for anything that actually would void it, but it seems that the STEAM EULA is still applicable, at least some what.

If it's the same as Oblivion's, then I guess at least the "no payment in return for mods" part for now. Even if Steam was to make anybody pay, this would still break the EULA of the game... for now at least.

I guess it's just some lawyer stuff stating "we can't override the 3rd party EULAs" and such... playing safe, you know.

But yes, while I was always fine with Bethesda reserving a right to re-use my stuff in any future games of them, I'm not quite fine with Valve reserving the same rights for any of "their" games right now.

Luckily there is no workshop for Oblivion and I'm not modding Skyrim, yet. But I was intending to do so in the future... guess it just won't be on the workshop then though. Still sounds fishy.

But hey, "no mods requiring script extenders" is a show-stopper to me releasing any work of mine through this service anyways, so what do I care? :rolleyes: