We have a name! And a Q&A session with Tannin regarding the new mod manager.

Dark0ne

In response to post #50086932.

audixas wrote: Hey Tannin, sorry for the dumb question, but I probably failed to understand how exactly the vfs will work.

The way I understand it, is that you will install mod A, a texture pack for example, and then you install another pack B that replaces some of the textures contained within pack A. The Vortex then puts these files in the Data directory, depending on which mod takes priority. So if B has a higher priority, the overwriting files from it will be used, but if you change the priority or remove mod B, then A's file will be used.

Is that correct?

Vortex establishes links between the data folder and the mods' individual folders. It doesn't actually put the files in the data folder, it just sort of says "pull those from here when the user says go". This means that you can control and/or undo overwrites in post, just like you would in MO, since all of the mod files are intact. It's done a little differently here though. You don't specify the entire mod order, you just specify rules for it like, say, "Noble Skyrim and Skyrim HD have overwrites, use the files from Noble". That way, you don't have to come up with a logical order for your 7000 totally compatible mods that aren't touching each other. You only have to order the ones that need ordering, the conflicts.
TLDR: Yes, if I understand your question correctly.
However, this is not the vfs. MO is the only manager to feature that so far. Vortex may have it as an option later, but the default will be basically a souped up version of NMM's file management that doesn't take years to do anything. Edited by lued123

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #50032012. #50032057, #50032732, #50052427, #50054092, #50054512, #50055082, #50076857, #50077437, #50077572, #50081452 are all replies on the same post.

othmanarnaout wrote: I don't know if this has been asked before, but here goes,..

Does this mean that a Vortex-made modded, say, Skyrim can run without launching it through vortex. What I mean to say is, will one be able to share one's custom Skyrim with a friend, by giving said friend a copy of one's Skyrim folder, and that friend would be able to run it by starting skse without the need for them to install or use vortex?

please forgive one for one's language.
othmanarnaout wrote: please note that I am not referring to piracy, but the act of sharing a modded Skyrim with a newb friend :P
Roccondil wrote: you specifically sharing just your (mod) data folders? probably not- if I understand this correctly, what's placed in your Skyrim directories are not the actual mod files, which are stored elsewhere. You'd have to share both your Data folders and your mod folders, and hope that the paths to the mod folders are identical on both machines.
othmanarnaout wrote: let me clarify,.. Im a hardcore MO user, as such, I know that sharing setups with a friend is a huge pain in the rear, because of the vfs and how it handles mods. Now don't get me wrong, I love MO more than anything, but i wish there were a way to easily "compile" a working setup that would run on another computer by simply running skse.As an upside to this, your skyrim folder would be very clean, relatively. NMM on the other hand, puts your installed mods into the skyrim folder and things get messy, yes, but in theory you should be able to run a copy of your nmm-modded skyrim on another pc by simply running skse(though i haven't really tested that). Point is, since Vortex will have a virtualization system similar to that of nmm, does that mean that the data folder in the actaul game folder will also contain the installed mods, making it copy-able and run-able on another pc without the need for vortex on said system? (since there is no vfs involved).
TechAngel85 wrote: "Profile sharing" has been planned for some time with Nexus. I'm not sure if it'll be implemented with Vortex, but that would be logical. The way I understood it is users would be able to save their setups and upload it to Nexus. Then users could download the setup and the manager would do most of the work of setting it up for the user. This is suppose to give an identical setup as the author. For example, if you wanted you have the exact same setup as Gopher, all you would have to do is download his shared setup.

If this was ever worked out completely, I'm not sure. I haven't heard anything on it in a long time. To be honest, this sounded like a dream because I can't see how they would be able to work out all the small details that come with modding (FOMOD installers, hidden/deleted assets, load orders, patches, etc, etc). I could see it being possible on more simple setups, but not on advanced ones.
TerminusVitae wrote: @TechAngel85 oh my everloving frak... Skyrim Modpacks?!? hell to the yes, my god... modded Minecraft better step up their game, if that ever comes true. :)
TechAngel85 wrote: Here's the news article discussing it: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12569/?

As I mentioned, it just sort of died, so I don't know if they ever figured it out.
othmanarnaout wrote: that would be nice, it would also help each mod's author get the right amount of downloads.
lued123 wrote: Apparently someone over at ModPicker is working on this.
Or was anyway...
Dark0ne wrote: This sort of functionality has been delayed until we can get some proper file version control on the main site themselves with mod authors using it properly. There's no point in doing it without it, else mod profiles become obsolete the moment mod authors delete their files.
TechAngel85 wrote: Proper mod versioning? OMG yes!

I've always been a fan of Major.Minor.Hotfix.

Major = introduce new functionality or assets, etc. (rarely changes)
Minor - smaller changes such as expanding mod coverage, updating current assets, etc.
Hotfix - fixes bugs or issues but changes nothing else.

A standardized versioning scheme for mods on Nexus is severely needed! Though it would need to be well enough defined (with enough examples given) so anyone could understand it.

um,.. YES PLEASE!! <3

As a long time user of NMM: allow me to say for me at least you will see me adopting this new system as soon as possible. And personally I don't care what you call it as long as it works. Waiting eagerly for the new Vortex!

This has probably been answered a million times, but I personally haven't seen it asked - will Vortex import all of your data from NMM and/or MO automatically?

I'm also not super knowledgeable with software coding or file systems - almost of my knowledge is hardware based or very basic coding, so if I didn't understand and this was answered in the Q&A, I apologize.

In response to post #50107937.

Narkah wrote: This has probably been answered a million times, but I personally haven't seen it asked - will Vortex import all of your data from NMM and/or MO automatically?

I'm also not super knowledgeable with software coding or file systems - almost of my knowledge is hardware based or very basic coding, so if I didn't understand and this was answered in the Q&A, I apologize.

Edit: I found it!
"We're currently working on a way to import mods&downloads from NMM (0.6) so you don't have to redownload what you already have. This will be a manual process and it won't change the NMM installation in any way so you are able to try out Vortex without risking your working NMM install.
Settings are too different, I don't think it would make sense to try and import those.
Profiles are also conceptually different so I doubt an import would work.
I hope to provide the same for importing from MO before we release publicly but no promises there."
--Tannin42 Edited by lued123

In response to post #50032012. #50032057, #50032732, #50052427, #50054092, #50054512, #50055082, #50076857, #50077437, #50077572, #50081452, #50103602 are all replies on the same post.

othmanarnaout wrote: I don't know if this has been asked before, but here goes,..

Does this mean that a Vortex-made modded, say, Skyrim can run without launching it through vortex. What I mean to say is, will one be able to share one's custom Skyrim with a friend, by giving said friend a copy of one's Skyrim folder, and that friend would be able to run it by starting skse without the need for them to install or use vortex?

please forgive one for one's language.
othmanarnaout wrote: please note that I am not referring to piracy, but the act of sharing a modded Skyrim with a newb friend :P
Roccondil wrote: you specifically sharing just your (mod) data folders? probably not- if I understand this correctly, what's placed in your Skyrim directories are not the actual mod files, which are stored elsewhere. You'd have to share both your Data folders and your mod folders, and hope that the paths to the mod folders are identical on both machines.
othmanarnaout wrote: let me clarify,.. Im a hardcore MO user, as such, I know that sharing setups with a friend is a huge pain in the rear, because of the vfs and how it handles mods. Now don't get me wrong, I love MO more than anything, but i wish there were a way to easily "compile" a working setup that would run on another computer by simply running skse.As an upside to this, your skyrim folder would be very clean, relatively. NMM on the other hand, puts your installed mods into the skyrim folder and things get messy, yes, but in theory you should be able to run a copy of your nmm-modded skyrim on another pc by simply running skse(though i haven't really tested that). Point is, since Vortex will have a virtualization system similar to that of nmm, does that mean that the data folder in the actaul game folder will also contain the installed mods, making it copy-able and run-able on another pc without the need for vortex on said system? (since there is no vfs involved).
TechAngel85 wrote: "Profile sharing" has been planned for some time with Nexus. I'm not sure if it'll be implemented with Vortex, but that would be logical. The way I understood it is users would be able to save their setups and upload it to Nexus. Then users could download the setup and the manager would do most of the work of setting it up for the user. This is suppose to give an identical setup as the author. For example, if you wanted you have the exact same setup as Gopher, all you would have to do is download his shared setup.

If this was ever worked out completely, I'm not sure. I haven't heard anything on it in a long time. To be honest, this sounded like a dream because I can't see how they would be able to work out all the small details that come with modding (FOMOD installers, hidden/deleted assets, load orders, patches, etc, etc). I could see it being possible on more simple setups, but not on advanced ones.
TerminusVitae wrote: @TechAngel85 oh my everloving frak... Skyrim Modpacks?!? hell to the yes, my god... modded Minecraft better step up their game, if that ever comes true. :)
TechAngel85 wrote: Here's the news article discussing it: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12569/?

As I mentioned, it just sort of died, so I don't know if they ever figured it out.
othmanarnaout wrote: that would be nice, it would also help each mod's author get the right amount of downloads.
lued123 wrote: Apparently someone over at ModPicker is working on this.
Or was anyway...
Dark0ne wrote: This sort of functionality has been delayed until we can get some proper file version control on the main site themselves with mod authors using it properly. There's no point in doing it without it, else mod profiles become obsolete the moment mod authors delete their files.
TechAngel85 wrote: Proper mod versioning? OMG yes!

I've always been a fan of Major.Minor.Hotfix.

Major = introduce new functionality or assets, etc. (rarely changes)
Minor - smaller changes such as expanding mod coverage, updating current assets, etc.
Hotfix - fixes bugs or issues but changes nothing else.

A standardized versioning scheme for mods on Nexus is severely needed! Though it would need to be well enough defined (with enough examples given) so anyone could understand it.
othmanarnaout wrote: um,.. YES PLEASE!! <3

proper file version control

What exactly does this mean?