We have a name! And a Q&A session with Tannin regarding the new mod manager.

Dark0ne

For Skyrim, I have about twenty profiles. Each major mod with supporting mods gets it's own profile.

When I want to play with one of the mods, I simply select it's profile in MO and I am good to go.

I really don't care what my install directory looks like, as long as I have this functionality.

As long as Vortex gives me easily switchable profiles - I will be a happy camper.

And of course support for executables like SKSE, FNIS, Loot, TES5Edit, Bodyslide, etc.

Edited to add: Please don't overload Vortex with extra function. Just give us a clean way to invoke executables like TES5Edit. I would rather have those teams responsible for updates. I hate all-in-one solutions...

And please please - support for doing Creation Kit compiles with the output going someplace useful.

And maybe sign me up for the alpha...

Edited by rmm200

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #51645852. #51762377 is also a reply to the same post.

ScrollTron1c wrote: Definitely looking forward to this.

MO was a huge revolution for Skyrim, unfortunately it doesn't work properly under Win10 (programs like Bodyslide not using the Overwrite folder for some reason) and MO2 seems too unfinished for stable use in FO4 / SSE.

So right now i'm back to using NMM in FO4, and besides the mod un/installation being painfully slow compared to MO - there still are the mentioned problems with uninstalled files either not being deleted at all, or not being restored properly when uninstalling an overwriting mod.
Sallyo wrote: A Lot of people keep flipping back n forth between the two. They need to make one good one :P

All I use with Skyrim and FNV is MO. Bodyslide works perfectly on Windows 10 Pro.
MO 2 is a bit flaky on Fallout 4, but usable. Good enough to hold me until Vortex.

I know I'm not the only one who is super excited for the new Vortex mod manager. It's pretty much the only thing keeping me from playing some of the games in my queue, like SkyrimSE and others on my to-play list. I'm hoping that after closed testing begins, we can get some teasers here for us loyal non-complaining community members, hehe.

Any word on closed testing?

How does one become a closed tester?

Do I need to know the secret handshake to get selected?

When will we get some teasers from the dev team?

So many questions and more! Thanks for working on the new Vortex, we eagerly await it's release.

Allow curators to build mod packs directly into the Nexus for 1 click installs - attributions can be done during each download to ensure all mod authors get credit.

Please.

Pretty sure that won't ever happen since mod packs are not allowed here.

Anyway, there's a thread specifically for this type of request.

The fact that the virtual filing system used by MO was a case of "solution looking for a problem" clears up something that was always puzzling me a little, at the back of my mind.  It always struck me as a little too sophisticated and high-tech (and potentially fragile, given a wide and varied user base), especially after I saw NMM's approach to virtualisation.

"Oh, *right!*" I thought to myself, "You can just use symbolic or hard links for that. Sure, you give up the beautiful aesthetic of a 'clean game directory', but still, that's got to be *way* more robust."

I'm a bit embarrassed that this didn't occur to me, since I personally use junctions, symbolic, and hard links a lot on my Windows machine for a variety of purposes.  This is also why I absolutely second the opinion that any backup solution that cannot correctly handle links needs to be replaced ASAP.  If your backup software can't even handle something as basic and intrinsic to computer filing systems as *links*, then it can't really be trusted to get *anything* right.  That's like giving a secretarial position to someone who gives their qualifications as "can rite 'n reed reel gud."

Feature Requests. These may have been requested before, but they are on my wishlist :thumbsup:

1) Website - There are many cases where when you do a "Files/New Recently" and see a mod you have installed, but the mod was not updated. It was actually just a Mod Description update.

• Solution: Give us the option to exclude Mod Description only updates from "Files/New Recently".

2) Website - When perusing, there is nothing to denote you have a particular mod installed.

• Solution: Show (via icon, etc) that you have that mod installed. Also show what version of that mod you have installed (ie: next to the mod's latest version number).

3) On the Manager itself:

• Highlight entire row when there is a new mod version available after you run a "check for mod update".
  • Add the ability to be able to rearrange the columns as you wish.
  • Remember column widths when you adjust them.
  • Add the ability to hide/show columns (ex: Hide the Download ID column if you want)
  • Separate columns for "Online Version" and "Installed Version" for the mods you have installed.

4) Make it mandatory to change the version number when adding a new/updated mod. There are cases where mod authors upload a new version of a mod, but leave the version number the same. According to the manager, it does not see the new version on a "check for mod update" because the version number did not change.

:smile:

Is it possible for vortex to install files that need to be installed outside data directory like script extender or enb/reshade files? It would be handy to switch enb without manually delete files or using tools such as enb manager or something like that.

Please no. That's not a feature any mod manager should have.