So the Creation Club just launched...

Deleted631007User

Ok, I really haven't been following this "creation club" thing but was kinda forced to get somewhat up to speed because of the update (I have steam set on "update on launch" so, since I launch through f4se, I've managed to avoid it so far). And, wait a minute... so you actually download the assets (couple GB from what I understand) of mods that are for sale even though you may not buy any (when hell freezes over in my case) ? Maybe a simple-minded question, but can't you go into your game folder and just delete all that crap or have they made it so the game somehow depends on that content existing in your game folder?

Steam will replace it.

Ok, thanks, I can see how that would work i.e. launching from Steam or validating game files would see the files as missing and replace them, but I'm guessing that, as long as after updating you put/keep your steam settings on "update on launch" and you launch through f4se, then you could avoid that. Although, from what I'm also gathering, there's no point in updating ever unless you want to install this creation club mess. But I suppose one might be forced to validate game files at some point, say as part of some troubleshoot, in which case you couldn't avoid it. But, in that case, you'd be fine deleting all the cc "assets" afterwards, i.e. when you went back to launching via f4se with steam set on "update on launch". Does that make sense?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I really haven't been following this "creation club" thing but was kinda forced to get somewhat up to speed because of the update (I have steam set on "update on launch" so, since I launch through f4se, I've managed to avoid it so far). And, wait a minute... so you actually download the assets (couple GB from what I understand) of mods that are for sale even though you may not buy any (when hell freezes over in my case) ? Maybe a simple-minded question, but can't you go into your game folder and just delete all that crap or have they made it so the game somehow depends on that content existing in your game folder?

Steam will replace it.

Ok, thanks, I can see how that would work i.e. launching from Steam or validating game files would see the files as missing and replace them, but I'm guessing that, as long as after updating you put/keep your steam settings on "update on launch" and you launch through f4se, then you could avoid that. Although, from what I'm also gathering, there's no point in updating ever unless you want to install this creation club mess. But I suppose one might be forced to validate game files at some point, say as part of some troubleshoot, in which case you couldn't avoid it. But, in that case, you'd be fine deleting all the cc "assets" afterwards, i.e. when you went back to launching via f4se with steam set on "update on launch". Does that make sense?

That sounds about right. I never give steam a chance to do anything though because as soon as I get what I need I switch to offline. If it argues with me then I reboot.

That sounds about right. I never give steam a chance to do anything though because as soon as I get what I need I switch to offline. If it argues with me then I reboot.

Gotcha, thanks. I've heard of offline mode forever, but never tried it. Think I'll look into it a bit more. Even though I have the "update on launch" thing, I just don't have 100% confidence that I'm not going to be ninja updated sometime.

Steam will replace it.

i was to late, but i think if you copyed the main files you need (or hole folders) ( counting the ini file) i think after it updates you might be able to revert back to the older patch you had (like delete the patch and past back the old folder you just backed up. (fallout 4 folder i mean)

i'm still using 1.9.4 and haven't updated yet since i'm still waiting for Transfer Settlements to get an update to work with the latest version of f4se but for what it's worth, Beth IS working on a solution for CC content to not be stored in the game archives so i assume that will hopefully mean every time content is added for CC that it won't break f4se.

i mean it is bethesda, so i'm sure there will be more screw ups along the way, but there's no way they're just gonna give away CC assets for free to anybody who has a general understanding of how to make mods

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/87400/creation-club-faq

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/88724/why-is-fo4-auto-downloading-creation-club-ba2s/149

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/89586/auto-download-of-cc-content-some-questions/14

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/89185/rules-on-using-cc-assets-in-mods/14

Bethesda seems to be committed to killing the geese that lay the golden eggs. Modding will not die, but modding for Bethesda games is definitely in trouble. Download the mods that will likely be pulled from the Nexus soon, and donate money to the mod authors that create the mods that you love.