New Nexus Mods design launched

Dark0ne

Well I suppose I'm the odd one out because after browsing around a little and getting a better feel of it, I actually like. It seems to load faster and I especially love what you've done to make it more compatible with cell phones. I do a lot on this site with my cellphone and it is much easier to navigate on it now.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BLAH BLAH old BLAH BLAH new

The same thing happened the last time around and the time before that. Three months after the change is made permanent you'll have forgotten what the old style looked like anyway.

I for one prefer the new, especially the updated(about time) imageshare with its full screen capability.

In response to post #54660448. #54660493, #54661078, #54661098, #54662668, #54662753, #54662853, #54663293, #54663353, #54663538, #54663713 are all replies on the same post.

Crimsomrider wrote: I personally will be clutching onto the old design until the moment it dies because I really am not a fan of this new one. And it's not about me clinging onto the old one because I hate changes or something, I welcome changes when I think they're an improvement, but this is honestly not an improvement in my eyes. It's simply the fact that the compact look of the old design was traded for this plain ugly "modern" design which involves big images and fonts, too much scrolling down, too much eye-movement along with information being scattered all over the place. What's up with all the depressing colors of dark gray, light gray and occasionally white ? Did someone run out of color when designing this place ? Is the "modern" design too afraid of colors ? Am I in 50 Shades Of Gray ?

And then there's other things, some of which I mentioned in the forum post.

My honest opinion is that this is a downgrade rather than an upgrade, because of reasons I stated in the forum post. Such a shame that this is now turning into Bethesda.net 2.0 design... only more uglier and effort requiring.

If anything should have been changed, then it was the forums section because it felt so disconnected from the main site in terms of designs and bringing it up to the Nexus design would have been amazing.

I will remain on the old design until hopefully some changes are made to the new design that make it at least somewhat visually pleasing and convenient.

I said it once and I'll say it again. Old design was compact, displayed important information when required, was easier to navigate and much more viewable.

The new design is too big, too flashy with images and fonts. Absolutely no colors. Information is scattered all over the place. A lot of scrolling and looking around. The biggest sin of all however is that it forces the user to SEARCH for IMPORTANT information, instead of handing the important information to them. Just look at the mod pages for example and see the first 5 lines when you open a mod page.

This new design would be a great design for a phone, not a PC.

Just my opinion.
Jokerine wrote: It took me a while to figure out how to reply, but I gotta say I agree. Having a lot of trouble with this.
OlivierDoorenbos wrote: agreed! old is better.
Jeir wrote: Definitely agree. I think the issue is that the new site's design was primarily made for mobiles. On desktop everything is just too big, with huge images, bigger text/text area, and images where they do nothing but take up space. I don't need a banner image that takes up 50% of the page. I don't need images (or game/author/category/log info) in the tracking centre or download history. I'd rather be able to see 15-20 mods without scrolling.

At least they brought back the 'New Recently' section; it was missing the last time I saw the new site, although it's now 'Recent Activity'; and while the text still takes up too much space (current site: 13 links for today and 10 of yesterday's visible without scrolling. New site: only today's visible without scrolling, and it's missing the icons indicating what got updated), hopefully they wont 'improve' it by adding pointless thumbnails to all the links.

I'm going to need a new mouse with all this extra scrolling I'm going to have to do.

Oh, and seems the drop-down link to 'Manage files/Mods I have access to' is missing. I check those a lot more than I do my own mods. Yeah, I know I can just click once more once I select 'Manage My Mods', but my mouse is already going to be worn out without the extra clicking. =P
Hoamaii wrote: Entirely agreed with Crimsonrider and Jokerine. I only took a quick look at it because I have absolutely no time to work on my mods nor my mods pages layouts right now: too big, very important infos scattered, too much scrolling, no "quick view of all that matters" in one glance, to which I'd add a terrible use of overlays - why are all the mods images grayed out with an overlay?
Most mod authors carefully pick up their description images to stand out and best describe their mods. In the new layout, all my images appear blended under a thick gray layer, none stand out - and the worst of it: author's images display only beneath users, you need to scroll down to get to them?!.. Why? Hasn't it always been obvious that we should always be careful to strongly encourage users to pay attention to what the authors has to say about the use of his mod, whether it's in description, images, read-me's, etc.?..

I'm not diminishing the amount of work or skills which have been put into this, I respect it, but it truly feels it's been designed by people who are not mod authors nor are used to dealing with users who report false bugs when indeed they never read the description.

And as a general opinion, I'm afraid the new layout entirely eclipses the Nexus personality and uniqueness in a copy-cat attempt to look more like other mods websites. I'll never understand that, why this need to blend in and look like all the rest? That's not what the Nexus is, that's not who we are. We are different - we are not an aspiring litlle brother of Steam or Bethesda.net!..

Robin, I'll just say this: as an old pro who's been working in communication and design for many years: when you have a distinct personality - and the Nexus definitely has one! - stick to it, magnify it, stand out and be proud, don't try to put on a camouflage suit that'll make you look like every other penguin in your league or you'll just get lost in the crowd.
Lord1 wrote: I definitely hope the kind of subtle but effective indicator of what exactly was updated comes back to New Recently/Recent Activity. Being able to see less entries without scrolling is an annoyance, not having anything to indicate if it was files updated or not without checking the mod directly is outright functionality-breaking (the entire purpose of Recent Activity is to get a quick overview of recent activity, after all).
SaiyanHeretic wrote: I'm jumping on the hate train too. Crimsomrider nails it; the new design is far too clunky. The reason you see so many websites coming out with this design aesthetic is to be more mobile friendly, but who the hell is surfing Nexus Mods on a smartphone? Until Bethesda ports Skyrim to Android (and I'm sure it's coming), there's literally no reason for this.
fore wrote: Totally agree with Crimsonrider and the others.

If you have to support a mod like FNIS, with a lot of description and sticky posts, and many posts every day, this layout is really horror. Just go to FNIS and see what it takes to simply scroll down the instructions, or get past the sticky posts.

And when I a read a lengthy post, my eyes get tired when having to go from far left to far right for every single line.

Please NEVER EVER switch of this old format.
kn1ghtfall wrote: Completely agreed. When the option to use the old design will be removed, I'll just bookmark the tracked mods page and skip the rest of the site.
TiraBlue wrote: I have to say I agree. This new site to me feels chunky, clunky and bulky.
Zaayl wrote: This thread about sums it all up, everything is ginormous, linked videos are 4 times the size than they are in the standard youtube browser, every individual element takes up the entire screen, elements that could be placed at the bottom of the page (or off to the sides with a non-mobile layout in mind) as more or less "additional information" are taking up massive chunks of space right at the top.

The text boxes are too wide, it feels weird to read (Its like I'm reading from both pages of a encyclopedia at the same time.) And my monitor is relatively small compared to many.

This definitely seems like a mobile design, for a site that has no practical reason to be browsed mobile. (I mean, maybe some people look up mods on mobile to download when they get home, but the site shouldn't be catered to that.)

Also as a side note, with the new designs for buttons, the fallout 4 bright green with white text inside them, is really hard on the eyes to read.

Agree on text being more difficult to read in the wide boxes. I guess this has something to do with the ratio of font size : width of the box.

Interestingly if you un-maximize your browser window and make it a small column, everything shrinks with line breaks to a more readable format like in a book.
Though this also reverts the biggest improvement of the new design, which is the increased overall width of the page. The old format had practically 50% of horizontal space wasted on a 1080p monitor.

Maybe there could be a new column added on the right side of the text box, with things like "latest files" on the front page and other mod-related items (showcase images?) on mod pages? Edited by ScrollTron1c

Not a fan of the new design in the least bit ( taste wise ), also the new design actually lags my computer ( I can run fallout 4 on ultra ) and uses more memory. PLEASE allow users the ability to choose which layout they prefer.

In response to post #54660448. #54660493, #54661078, #54661098, #54662668, #54662753, #54662853, #54663293, #54663353, #54663538, #54663713, #54664098 are all replies on the same post.

Crimsomrider wrote: I personally will be clutching onto the old design until the moment it dies because I really am not a fan of this new one. And it's not about me clinging onto the old one because I hate changes or something, I welcome changes when I think they're an improvement, but this is honestly not an improvement in my eyes. It's simply the fact that the compact look of the old design was traded for this plain ugly "modern" design which involves big images and fonts, too much scrolling down, too much eye-movement along with information being scattered all over the place. What's up with all the depressing colors of dark gray, light gray and occasionally white ? Did someone run out of color when designing this place ? Is the "modern" design too afraid of colors ? Am I in 50 Shades Of Gray ?

My honest opinion is that this is a downgrade rather than an upgrade, because of reasons I stated in the forum post. Such a shame that this is now turning into Bethesda.net 2.0 design... only more uglier and effort requiring.

If anything should have been changed, then it was the forums section because it felt so disconnected from the main site in terms of designs and bringing it up to the Nexus design would have been amazing.

I will remain on the old design until hopefully some changes are made to the new design that make it at least somewhat visually pleasing and convenient.

I said it once and I'll say it again. Old design was compact, displayed important information when required, was easier to navigate and much more viewable.

The new design is too big, too flashy with images and fonts. Absolutely no colors. Information is scattered all over the place. A lot of scrolling and looking around. The biggest sin of all however is that it forces the user to SEARCH for IMPORTANT information, instead of handing the important information to them. Just look at the mod pages for example and see the first 5 lines when you open a mod page.

Just my opinion.
Jokerine wrote: It took me a while to figure out how to reply, but I gotta say I agree. Having a lot of trouble with this.
Jeir wrote: Definitely agree. I think the issue is that the new site's design was primarily made for mobiles. On desktop everything is just too big, with huge images, bigger text/text area, and images where they do nothing but take up space. I don't need a banner image that takes up 50% of the page. I don't need images (or game/author/category/log info) in the tracking centre or download history. I'd rather be able to see 15-20 mods without scrolling.

At least they brought back the 'New Recently' section; it was missing the last time I saw the new site, although it's now 'Recent Activity'; and while the text still takes up too much space (current site: 13 links for today and 10 of yesterday's visible without scrolling. New site: only today's visible without scrolling, and it's missing the icons indicating what got updated), hopefully they wont 'improve' it by adding pointless thumbnails to all the links.

I'm going to need a new mouse with all this extra scrolling I'm going to have to do.

Oh, and seems the drop-down link to 'Manage files/Mods I have access to' is missing. I check those a lot more than I do my own mods. Yeah, I know I can just click once more once I select 'Manage My Mods', but my mouse is already going to be worn out without the extra clicking. =P
Hoamaii wrote: Entirely agreed with Crimsonrider and Jokerine. I only took a quick look at it because I have absolutely no time to work on my mods nor my mods pages layouts right now: too big, very important infos scattered, too much scrolling, no "quick view of all that matters" in one glance, to which I'd add a terrible use of overlays - why are all the mods images grayed out with an overlay?
Most mod authors carefully pick up their description images to stand out and best describe their mods. In the new layout, all my images appear blended under a thick gray layer, none stand out - and the worst of it: author's images display only beneath users, you need to scroll down to get to them?!.. Why? Hasn't it always been obvious that we should always be careful to strongly encourage users to pay attention to what the authors has to say about the use of his mod, whether it's in description, images, read-me's, etc.?..

I'm not diminishing the amount of work or skills which have been put into this, I respect it, but it truly feels it's been designed by people who are not mod authors nor are used to dealing with users who report false bugs when indeed they never read the description.

And as a general opinion, I'm afraid the new layout entirely eclipses the Nexus personality and uniqueness in a copy-cat attempt to look more like other mods websites. I'll never understand that, why this need to blend in and look like all the rest? That's not what the Nexus is, that's not who we are. We are different - we are not an aspiring litlle brother of Steam or Bethesda.net!..

Robin, I'll just say this: as an old pro who's been working in communication and design for many years: when you have a distinct personality - and the Nexus definitely has one! - stick to it, magnify it, stand out and be proud, don't try to put on a camouflage suit that'll make you look like every other penguin in your league or you'll just get lost in the crowd.
Lord1 wrote: I definitely hope the kind of subtle but effective indicator of what exactly was updated comes back to New Recently/Recent Activity. Being able to see less entries without scrolling is an annoyance, not having anything to indicate if it was files updated or not without checking the mod directly is outright functionality-breaking (the entire purpose of Recent Activity is to get a quick overview of recent activity, after all).
SaiyanHeretic wrote: I'm jumping on the hate train too. Crimsomrider nails it; the new design is far too clunky. The reason you see so many websites coming out with this design aesthetic is to be more mobile friendly, but who the hell is surfing Nexus Mods on a smartphone? Until Bethesda ports Skyrim to Android (and I'm sure it's coming), there's literally no reason for this.

If you have to support a mod like FNIS, with a lot of description and sticky posts, and many posts every day, this layout is really horror. Just go to FNIS and see what it takes to simply scroll down the instructions, or get past the sticky posts.

And when I a read a lengthy post, my eyes get tired when having to go from far left to far right for every single line.

kn1ghtfall wrote: Completely agreed. When the option to use the old design will be removed, I'll just bookmark the tracked mods page and skip the rest of the site.
TiraBlue wrote: I have to say I agree. This new site to me feels chunky, clunky and bulky.
Zaayl wrote: This thread about sums it all up, everything is ginormous, linked videos are 4 times the size than they are in the standard youtube browser, every individual element takes up the entire screen, elements that could be placed at the bottom of the page (or off to the sides with a non-mobile layout in mind) as more or less "additional information" are taking up massive chunks of space right at the top.

The text boxes are too wide, it feels weird to read (Its like I'm reading from both pages of a encyclopedia at the same time.) And my monitor is relatively small compared to many.

This definitely seems like a mobile design, for a site that has no practical reason to be browsed mobile. (I mean, maybe some people look up mods on mobile to download when they get home, but the site shouldn't be catered to that.)

Also as a side note, with the new designs for buttons, the fallout 4 bright green with white text inside them, is really hard on the eyes to read.
ScrollTron1c wrote: Agree on text being more difficult to read in the wide boxes. I guess this has something to do with the ratio of font size : width of the box.

Interestingly if you un-maximize your browser window and make it a small column, everything shrinks with line breaks to a more readable format like in a book.
Though this also reverts the biggest improvement of the new design, which is the increased overall width of the page. The old format had practically 50% of horizontal space wasted on a 1080p monitor.

Maybe there could be a new column added on the right side of the text box, with things like "latest files" on the front page and other mod-related items (showcase images?) on mod pages?

I agree with what Crimsonrider stated 100 % on everything he / she stated, and for me that's rare because I can usually find some fault some where.

Edited by gromulos

In response to post #54660448. #54660493, #54661078, #54661098, #54662668, #54662753, #54662853, #54663293, #54663353, #54663538, #54663713, #54664098, #54664203 are all replies on the same post.

Just my opinion.

ScrollTron1c wrote: Agree on text being more difficult to read in the wide boxes. I guess this has something to do with the ratio of font size : width of the box.

Maybe there could be a new column added on the right side of the text box, with things like "latest files" on the front page and other mod-related items (showcase images?) on mod pages?
gromulos wrote:
In response to post #54660448. #54660493, #54661078, #54661098, #54662668, #54662753, #54662853, #54663293, #54663353, #54663538, #54663713, #54664098 are all replies on the same post.

Just my opinion.

I agree with what Crimsonrider stated 100 % on everything he / she stated, and for me that's rare because I can usually find some fault some where.

Completely agree. Would much rather keep the old design. The new design makes me think of a phone app. Way to much scrolling.

In response to post #54660448. #54660493, #54661078, #54661098, #54662668, #54662753, #54662853, #54663293, #54663353, #54663538, #54663713, #54664098, #54664203, #54664293 are all replies on the same post.

Just my opinion.

gromulos wrote:

Just my opinion.

7StringSamurai wrote: Completely agree. Would much rather keep the old design. The new design makes me think of a phone app. Way to much scrolling.

i share the same feelings, it doesn't feel like Nexus but more confusing. It feels to huge "again app" like design that fit much better to a i pad then a big monitor. Realy happy i can still use the old one, small, handy, quickly overvieuw from all it's assets. It is a clear website were it feels like a real community.

The new feels wat to much App and it will loose the closeness that the old design gives

it's a sad day....