PC Gaming versus Console- The Reasons to Switch

Fkemman11

Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines has been on my D:\ drive for about 7 years now.

Nice.

My main reason for preferring console is long gone (preferring a controller to keyboard and mouse). I just put it on longevity. I've had to buy new computers or computer parts fairly frequently just to keep playing. Meanwhile my nintendo 64, gamecube, playstations, gameboys, etc. All work as good as the day I first bought them, no replacements needed. Xbox original and 360 are the only exceptions I've had to that rule.

That said, the benefits of PC are more than makeup for the longevity. And, as was said above by HadToRegister, it' relatively easy to save backups of games and saves with PC. When I do lose a console, odds are all progress goes with it.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines has been on my D:\ drive for about 7 years now.

Nice.

My main reason for preferring console is long gone (preferring a controller to keyboard and mouse). I just put it on longevity. I've had to buy new computers or computer parts fairly frequently just to keep playing. Meanwhile my nintendo 64, gamecube, playstations, gameboys, etc. All work as good as the day I first bought them, no replacements needed. Xbox original and 360 are the only exceptions I've had to that rule.

That said, the benefits of PC are more than makeup for the longevity. And, as was said above by HadToRegister, it' relatively easy to save backups of games and saves with PC. When I do lose a console, odds are all progress goes with it.

I don't buy PC hardware that frequently, heck, I'm playing Fallout 4 with an nVidia 750GTX Ti, on High settings using 249 mods, I'm just waiting for all of those $300 dollar video cards to come down to $75 because all the new $300 dollar video cards are coming out.

I generally wait a year to buy PC hardware, that way, the stuff I put on my wishlist is half-price or less

I suppose it depends. PC hardware tends to wear out quicker than consoles. As I said, I've yet had a need to replace so much as a single part of my N64, Gamecube, and most non-xbox consoles. So for the N64, that's 22 years of perfect functionality without any further purchases (besides more games and maybe a controller here or there). No PC lasts that long without at least a few repairs. But it also depends on the console in question. I've been through more xbox 360's than pc parts (early 360's red ringed quite often).

I suppose it depends. PC hardware tends to wear out quicker than consoles. As I said, I've yet had a need to replace so much as a single part of my N64, Gamecube, and most non-xbox consoles. So for the N64, that's 22 years of perfect functionality without any further purchases (besides more games and maybe a controller here or there). No PC lasts that long without at least a few repairs. But it also depends on the console in question. I've been through more xbox 360's than pc parts (early 360's red ringed quite often).

Properly cooled it lasts a long time.

My ECS X77H2-A3 Motherboard is from 2013.|

It's in an air conditioned room, very near the air conditioner and has several fans in it to keep it nice and cool.

The only time I had to replace hardware is when lightning hit the pole outside and it fried all my usb ports because I had one connected to my UPS which also burned up.

If I didn't connect my PC to the UPS with the USB port (For control and monitor purposes) I'd still have that board.

(Actually I STILL have the board and it works, but I would need a PS/2 keyboard and mouse to use it, so it's still viable.

So for that, I just replaced the MOBO, CPU and RAM, while keeping the Hard drives (5 of them), the Power Supply, and case.

If my Console went bad, I'd have to buy the entire console gain.

I

I built my current machine back in 09, or 10. I have added ram, upgraded harddrives to SSDs, and upgraded the vid card, but, still the same processor, and MB. Trouble with PC hardware is, in six months, it's 'obsolete'. That does NOT mean it doesn't work any more. For those that have to have 'the latest and greatest', yeah, I hope ya have a good job.... (or trustfund....) But, my machine still plays the games I want, without trouble. Of course, I do PC work for a living...... which makes it cheaper for me. :)

Jeez, I went through at least 3 Xbox 360s. Had to buy at least one replacement each for the original Xbox and PS2. Also went through at least 3 or 4 original Playstations. Of course there is a lot of dust where I live and it gets extremely hot in the Summer. In over 2 years, I've only had to replace the cooling fan for my graphics card on my cheap little pc. :D

Even for the issues I've suffered with PC, and the expenses of frequent replacement (which could be an environmental factor of where I live) the benefits seem to surpass most of what consoles have had to offer. Particularly how easy it is to back things up and how available mods tend to be for PC vs consoles.