⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

An update on Vortex development

Dark0ne

<snip>

Or you could just not mess with the data folder at all and eliminate all possible issues regarding that. I'll never understand the resistance people have to MO type installations.

The author of MO is the lead developer of Vortex. He determined that the approach he used in MO was inherently flawed, (not sufficiently flexible) especially when the application has to work with many different game engines. Hence, Vortex!

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that I am still using mod organizer and how much I love it even now, I cant wait to see what vortex brings. Take all the time you need, even though MO works amazingly well - how it was set up came with serious flaws if you let it manage archives and game data - it is a mod manager I prefer over NMM. Edited by 777sage

In response to post #54959113.

Thandal wrote:

<snip>

Or you could just not mess with the data folder at all and eliminate all possible issues regarding that. I'll never understand the resistance people have to MO type installations.

The author of MO is the lead developer of Vortex. He determined that the approach he used in MO was inherently flawed, (not sufficiently flexible) especially when the application has to work with many different game engines. Hence, Vortex!

A variety of users dislike MO users due to the smug superiority they deploy when discussing about mod managers. If clean data folder (what an idea..) is not needed, MO loses most of its edge.

In response to post #54959113. #54959528 is also a reply to the same post.

Thandal wrote:

<snip>

Ethreon wrote: A variety of users dislike MO users due to the smug superiority they deploy when discussing about mod managers. If clean data folder (what an idea..) is not needed, MO loses most of its edge.

What do you mean by not needed? I can not think of any case in which virtualization isn't a better alternative if it's implemented correctly. If Vortex doesn't at least allow for this option, I'm probably going to stick with Mod Organizer.

In response to post #54959113. #54959528, #54959868 are all replies on the same post.

Thandal wrote:

<snip>

Ethreon wrote: A variety of users dislike MO users due to the smug superiority they deploy when discussing about mod managers. If clean data folder (what an idea..) is not needed, MO loses most of its edge.
blckknight119 wrote: What do you mean by not needed? I can not think of any case in which virtualization isn't a better alternative if it's implemented correctly. If Vortex doesn't at least allow for this option, I'm probably going to stick with Mod Organizer.

Yeah, after I heard that Vortex won't be using a virtual structure I was out. Keeping track of mods and changing/updating mods is just so much easier with virtualization. f*#@, I haven't redownloaded Skyrim ever since I started using MO. If Vortex can provide what MO did but just without the virtualization, then that'd be pretty great, but it'd take a lot more effort since you are modifying and replacing base game files, so you'd have to have some kind of system that would keep track of these changes and you'd also have to make it unmodifiable because it would break the whole system if you did. I mean, we really don't know anything but the basic stuff, so maybe Tannin has some kind of brilliant idea that we didn't think of.

In response to post #54959113. #54959528, #54959868, #54960743 are all replies on the same post.

Thandal wrote:

<snip>

blckknight119 wrote: What do you mean by not needed? I can not think of any case in which virtualization isn't a better alternative if it's implemented correctly. If Vortex doesn't at least allow for this option, I'm probably going to stick with Mod Organizer.
schadowman wrote: Yeah, after I heard that Vortex won't be using a virtual structure I was out. Keeping track of mods and changing/updating mods is just so much easier with virtualization. f*#@, I haven't redownloaded Skyrim ever since I started using MO. If Vortex can provide what MO did but just without the virtualization, then that'd be pretty great, but it'd take a lot more effort since you are modifying and replacing base game files, so you'd have to have some kind of system that would keep track of these changes and you'd also have to make it unmodifiable because it would break the whole system if you did. I mean, we really don't know anything but the basic stuff, so maybe Tannin has some kind of brilliant idea that we didn't think of.

Please read up on what virtualization is. People are using MO's VFS interchangeably with virtualization as a whole and it's wrong.

Vortex will have virtualization, it just won't use MO's virtualization. Edited by Dark0ne

In response to post #54956488.

sopmac45 wrote: Thank you so much for all of your hard work. It is really very annoying to see how some people in this thread are assuming that Vortex will not have what they expect, or criticizing before it is out, the way it will work or saying I won't use it if it does not have this and that ... as usual, there will be always people applying only negative energy to new implementations.

There is a group of 30 testing Vortex and Tannin is an experienced one, so there is a crew chosen by the owners of this site that I am very sure are also as experienced as a lot of people in this thread that are just complaining; why we do not simply wait for Vortex to be out and trust what Tannin is doing rather than saying negative things ?

Thank you Dark0ne for letting us know where are we at with Vortex. Take your time and I am very sure that Vortex will be much better than NMM. People have the tendency to stick to their comfort blanket instead trying new things and that is a normal behavior for us humans, but at the same time, we need to understand that nothing is forever, anything that begins, must end, one way or another, so NMM will pass away and Vortex will born as the old site is practically gone and we already have a new one and btw, I do like it better than the other.

Let's be positive and wait for the new "baby" to arise, test it and see what happens.
Thanks again guys.

I agree. I've tried MO before and didn't quite stick with me. But meh, walk down memory lane can be done a different day. I rather wait to see what happens instead of rushing and get a half assed program that many would complain about.

In response to post #54959113. #54959528, #54959868, #54960743, #54961303 are all replies on the same post.

Thandal wrote:

<snip>

schadowman wrote: Yeah, after I heard that Vortex won't be using a virtual structure I was out. Keeping track of mods and changing/updating mods is just so much easier with virtualization. f*#@, I haven't redownloaded Skyrim ever since I started using MO. If Vortex can provide what MO did but just without the virtualization, then that'd be pretty great, but it'd take a lot more effort since you are modifying and replacing base game files, so you'd have to have some kind of system that would keep track of these changes and you'd also have to make it unmodifiable because it would break the whole system if you did. I mean, we really don't know anything but the basic stuff, so maybe Tannin has some kind of brilliant idea that we didn't think of.
Dark0ne wrote: Please read up on what virtualization is. People are using MO's VFS interchangeably with virtualization as a whole and it's wrong.

Vortex will have virtualization, it just won't use MO's virtualization.

Not needed. Not required. Should I provide an image description? Not everyone needs it.

In response to post #54959113. #54959528, #54959868, #54960743, #54961303, #54963573 are all replies on the same post.

Thandal wrote:

<snip>

Dark0ne wrote: Please read up on what virtualization is. People are using MO's VFS interchangeably with virtualization as a whole and it's wrong.

Vortex will have virtualization, it just won't use MO's virtualization.
Ethreon wrote: Not needed. Not required. Should I provide an image description? Not everyone needs it.

The greatest feature difference between MO and NMM was that MO had a lot of troubleshooting features built into it. The ability to instantly find conflicting files etc were its biggest draw for me. (Especially in heavily modded setups with many loose files.) I haven't seen anything said about these comparison features on the new Vortex. Is there any information on whether those will be worked into Vortex or to what extent?
In any case, having a strong mod engine to use with many different games is exciting.

Thanks for the update as well.
Edited by nagothm