An update on Vortex development

Dark0ne

In response to post #54935243. #54935523, #54947223, #54947753, #54954958, #54955858, #54958068, #54976953, #54985023, #54987183, #54988083, #54995008, #54997683, #54998783, #54998978 are all replies on the same post.

MysteriousGuy wrote: "Not long now!"

We are talking 2 months minimum here. It was months in development already. Makes me wonder how was Tannin able to build fully functional mod organizer in such a short time when he was working all alone, but its not the case now when he has whole team around him.

So after months of waiting for something, you cant even provide a screenshot to public? Really?
fluxxdog wrote: Yes really.
lunsmann wrote: Perhaps it was purely due to MO only needing to support ONE game. Vortex (like NMM) will be supporting many different games.

All I want is for FNIS to install and work out of the box (like it does in NMM). MO is a pain in the arse with FNIS, and abandoned almost straight away.
SharraShimada wrote:
In response to post #54935243. #54935523, #54947223 are all replies on the same post.

We are talking 2 months minimum here. It was months in development already. Makes me wonder how was Tannin able to build fully functional mod organizer in such a short time when he was working all alone, but its not the case now when he has whole team around him.

So after months of waiting for something, you cant even provide a screenshot to public? Really?
lunsmann wrote: Perhaps it was purely due to MO only needing to support ONE game. Vortex (like NMM) will be supporting many different games.

All I want is for FNIS to install and work out of the box (like it does in NMM). MO is a pain in the arse with FNIS, and abandoned almost straight away.

Tannin made MO alone back in the days, when he had the time. And it was only 32 bit. Developing such a tool with full 64 bit support is a completely different thing.
Thats why MO2 never was what Tannin was expecting from it.

And now, it takes time, because its a team. Tanning cant work all alone, doing things like he wants them to be all by himself. Everything has to be first an idea, moves to a meeting, and later there will be a consensus. Such things take time... a lot of time.
And sometimes you try something, test it, and as a result, you throw it into the dumpster, because it wont work.

Software-development is time consuming as hell. Its not just coding. In fact, thats, what take the leas amount of the time. Its everying around the lines of code.

MysteriousGuy wrote: Seeing what Tannin was able to do with MO makes me fully believe he is more then capable to easily create amazing mod manager. Its complexity or 64-bit doesn't matter so much - he is the man for the job.

What doesn't feel right is nexus itself. Being game modding site you would expect they would promote and share information about their main modding tool - Vortex.
Instead it was kept in secrecy for months. Check news how many times they shared any information about Vortex this year. Then check how many of those posts actually speak about Vortex. Most of them are just recruitment posts.
Seems focus was moved more to the side projects (Web site redesign) or development was facing issues leading to delay (no info about why everything is so delayed because nexus is all shiny and beautiful).

Ignoring what it feels like and back to what we do know is - it's over a year now that Tannin was recruited for this job. That's one year of people waiting for new mod manager or at least some information about its functionality and looks. A week ago new site design was announced and then they said we are finally getting an update about vortex this week.
This week they tell us we will get nothing (not even a screenshot because imagine if people say they don't like it, and everyone has to like it when its finished) but we have to wait for 2 months now to get something.

Do we get an update in 2 months that now we have to wait a year for an update?
Dark0ne wrote:
Makes me wonder how was Tannin able to build fully functional mod organizer in such a short time when he was working all alone, but its not the case now when he has whole team around him.

When Tannin first released MO it was simply the VFS system with a text file on how to enable it. The MO you see today took him over 5 years of work to get where it is now. It's stupid to even compare the two.

Would you rather wait 5 years? Hmm.

Seems focus was moved more to the side projects (Web site redesign)

The website isn't a side-project, it's the main project. Without the website, there is no Vortex, but without Vortex (or NMM) there's still a website. Ergo, Vortex would be the "side project".

However, development of the website and development of Vortex are parallel, rather than one delaying the other. Tannin works on Vortex, the web development team work on the website, and the only time they intersect is when Tannin needs more functionality in the web API which the web developers need to do.
MysteriousGuy wrote: I would wait 5 years knowing that it will take 5 years for it to be finished rather than check for updates regularly only to get a notice that i have to wait for a notice that will tell me to wait for another notice.
Balx2 wrote: Maybe NMM isn't a site you should be visiting then. It appears you did not even read the entire news post, highly doubt you have bothered to ever read any of them.

These things take time, we have received updates as the team felt they had something worth saying and everything has been explained in detail in the news posts.
MysteriousGuy wrote: @ Balx2

Oh really then when you have all the information please tell me how will new mod manager function or look like?
How will you activate and install mods and where?
Will it be just one button on the left like NMM, will there be check mark to easily deactivate it like in MO?
Will Vortex have that annoying web page window loading every time you click on any mod like in NMM or will it have nice and clean interface like MO that actually lets you do something with that mod?
Will it be huge UI with few buttons and useless mod categories like NMM or will it let you actualy see important things like mod order and load order like in MO?
How will mod creators work with Vortex? Will they run 3rd party tools from Vortex or outside?

Go ahead i have time.
cyrusmagnus wrote: Your complaint is odd. Honestly, it feels like you're just disappointed Tannin didn't finish MO2 and are trying to lash out and be deceptively destructive of this project.

Your questions are logical, but missing a critical point: software development is hard enough by yourself, but exponentially compounded in difficulty by every additional voice you add to the mix.

So they have Tannin, Dark0ne, the team, and 30 people looking at it. That means if person number 28 has an idea of how something could look/be better, and they voice it, they then have to query 30+ other people on if they agree or disagree. Let's say 25% of them agree, does that mean it should change? Is it majority rule? Does Tannin have the final say? Does Dark0ne?

Why on Earth do you think they'd want to open that process up to thousands of people before they've even decided in house, for sure, what they want to do? In this update Dark0ne specifically pointed out that they aren't even finalized. They're close, but close is meaningless in development. You never know what will happen next.

Again, your questions are logical, but you don't deserve to ask them. You're not paying for this product. You are not a client. You're just some lucky guy that gets to have all this free stuff plopped in their lap for nothing.

If it takes 2 months or 2 years, whatever gets made has nothing to do with your opinion or entitled demands for information. You want your own mod managing software? Learn to code and make it yourself, and stop pestering the people who are actually doing the work with your whining.
calscks wrote: >how was Tannin able to build fully functional mod organizer in such a short time when he was working all alone
*checks initial commits on github*
*2013*
hmm.jpg

i'd've agreed upon your point on showing a few sneak peeks regarding to Vortex, but it's completely optional for whether developers wanting to show it or not. software development works internally, even if it's "agile" enough only selected users shall provide the initial feedback to how a software should or shouldn't work during the development cycle. Tannin has enough credits -- you're completely disregarding the whole development team. @cyrusmagnus describes you well -- entitled individual who doesn't know how real software engineering works, but i can tell it looks as real as people who have spent so much time developing COMMUNITY software whilst getting lashed by take-for-granted users who insistently demand things even before release because we can already see it here.
Kedavix wrote: Well said, cyrusmagnus. Seriously, well said! From what I can see, he's not even a supporter of the site.
MysteriousGuy wrote: Do i have to be a supporter of the site to be right?

I know how to code and I'm making my own programs that i need for work so all of your comments about how I don't know software development are just random imaginations.

From start I never said anything against Tannin or development team. I was saying that he was obviously delayed by something and i have an issue with nexus not sharing info on why or showing any development progress.

People are waiting for this more then they are waiting for new site redesign and that's a fact even if you don't agree.

I'm being attacked for saying what everyone is thinking so i hope it will be your way - i hope we wont see any info until next year. (You don't want to see it, right?)
Ethreon wrote: You have to be right to be right. Your supporter status is irrelevant, so is whatever programs you claim to do.
Dark0ne wrote: From the announcement article for Vortex:

How long have you been working on this? How long is it going to take?

Tannin officially started working for us at the beginning of August. We’re determined to get it right this time, so we’ve been spending a lot of time getting everything written down into proper documentation. Actual programming work has now begun on the project and while I cannot give you any specific timeframes as to how long it’ll take before we get things out, you can rest assured it’s being worked on.

From the Q&A in May:

Robin: Moving forward, what are your release plans for Vortex? Will there be an alpha? What time scales are we talking here?

Tannin: Giving concrete dates is always difficult because one almost always underestimates the amount of work required to polish stuff towards the end.

My current plan is to have an early alpha build in the hands of a limited group of test users within a month, maybe 6 weeks.

Depending on their feedback we should expect somewhere between 1-3 months to fix bugs after which I think we can release a public alpha.

So right now we're about 3 months "behind" Tannin's very rough estimates and ultimately will be 5 months behind if we release the Alpha in January. That time has been spent by Tannin optimising things, fixing bugs from the testing group and working on the UI and UX.

Honestly...you need to chill and remove the stick from wherever it's lodged. If you honestly work in software development, you would know that time estimates are just that. Estimates.

the problem doesn't lie on your viewpoints -- instead it's the way you deliver your opinions which caused people to "attack?" you. glimpse back to how you reply such as "go ahead i have time" is an open invitation to criticising you even if you didn't mean it...

i don't support dismissing your opinion even if you aren't a supporter or premium, but we'd refute an opinion if it's more or less unfitting in this case. one year of development isn't even long especially when it's an in-house development, and giving out sneak peeks is completely optional. making/writing your own programme doesn't satisfy any conditions of being one complete software development cycle, so most arguments about you not knowing how a real software engineering works is completely relevant. yes you didn't say anything against tannin, you merely gave too much credits to him instead of the whole development team. to sum up you just thought developing a software is as magical as could be magically done by a single person in a short period of time, moreover when the software itself would involve connection to servers such as app and file server while supporting another dozens of games, then proceed to say that vortex development is delayed due to "unnecessary redesign" while the site owner has already cleared it up by saying those are handled by 2 different development teams...really makes me wonder. Edited by calscks

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #55005098. #55005578 is also a reply to the same post.

ozoak wrote:

In response to post #54935243. #54935523, #54947223, #54947753, #54954958, #54955858, #54958068, #54976953, #54985023, #54987183, #54988083 are all replies on the same post.

SharraShimada wrote:
In response to post #54935243. #54935523, #54947223 are all replies on the same post.

Tannin made MO alone back in the days, when he had the time. And it was only 32 bit. Developing such a tool with full 64 bit support is a completely different thing.

And now, it takes time, because its a team. Tanning cant work all alone, doing things like he wants them to be all by himself. Everything has to be first an idea, moves to a meeting, and later there will be a consensus. Such things take time... a lot of time.
And sometimes you try something, test it, and as a result, you throw it into the dumpster, because it wont work.

Software-development is time consuming as hell. Its not just coding. In fact, thats, what take the leas amount of the time. Its everying around the lines of code.

MysteriousGuy wrote: Seeing what Tannin was able to do with MO makes me fully believe he is more then capable to easily create amazing mod manager. Its complexity or 64-bit doesn't matter so much - he is the man for the job.

What doesn't feel right is nexus itself. Being game modding site you would expect they would promote and share information about their main modding tool - Vortex.
Instead it was kept in secrecy for months. Check news how many times they shared any information about Vortex this year. Then check how many of those posts actually speak about Vortex. Most of them are just recruitment posts.
Seems focus was moved more to the side projects (Web site redesign) or development was facing issues leading to delay (no info about why everything is so delayed because nexus is all shiny and beautiful).

Ignoring what it feels like and back to what we do know is - it's over a year now that Tannin was recruited for this job. That's one year of people waiting for new mod manager or at least some information about its functionality and looks. A week ago new site design was announced and then they said we are finally getting an update about vortex this week.
This week they tell us we will get nothing (not even a screenshot because imagine if people say they don't like it, and everyone has to like it when its finished) but we have to wait for 2 months now to get something.

Dark0ne wrote:

Makes me wonder how was Tannin able to build fully functional mod organizer in such a short time when he was working all alone, but its not the case now when he has whole team around him.

When Tannin first released MO it was simply the VFS system with a text file on how to enable it. The MO you see today took him over 5 years of work to get where it is now. It's stupid to even compare the two.

The website isn't a side-project, it's the main project. Without the website, there is no Vortex, but without Vortex (or NMM) there's still a website. Ergo, Vortex would be the "side project".

However, development of the website and development of Vortex are parallel, rather than one delaying the other. Tannin works on Vortex, the web development team work on the website, and the only time they intersect is when Tannin needs more functionality in the web API which the web developers need to do.
MysteriousGuy wrote: I would wait 5 years knowing that it will take 5 years for it to be finished rather than check for updates regularly only to get a notice that i have to wait for a notice that will tell me to wait for another notice.
Balx2 wrote: Maybe NMM isn't a site you should be visiting then. It appears you did not even read the entire news post, highly doubt you have bothered to ever read any of them.

These things take time, we have received updates as the team felt they had something worth saying and everything has been explained in detail in the news posts.

Oh really then when you have all the information please tell me how will new mod manager function or look like?
Will it be just one button on the left like NMM, will there be check mark to easily deactivate it like in MO?
Will Vortex have that annoying web page window loading every time you click on any mod like in NMM or will it have nice and clean interface like MO that actually lets you do something with that mod?
Will it be huge UI with few buttons and useless mod categories like NMM or will it let you actualy see important things like mod order and load order like in MO?
How will mod creators work with Vortex? Will they run 3rd party tools from Vortex or outside?

Go ahead i have time.
cyrusmagnus wrote: Your complaint is odd. Honestly, it feels like you're just disappointed Tannin didn't finish MO2 and are trying to lash out and be deceptively destructive of this project.

Your questions are logical, but missing a critical point: software development is hard enough by yourself, but exponentially compounded in difficulty by every additional voice you add to the mix.

So they have Tannin, Dark0ne, the team, and 30 people looking at it. That means if person number 28 has an idea of how something could look/be better, and they voice it, they then have to query 30+ other people on if they agree or disagree. Let's say 25% of them agree, does that mean it should change? Is it majority rule? Does Tannin have the final say? Does Dark0ne?

Why on Earth do you think they'd want to open that process up to thousands of people before they've even decided in house, for sure, what they want to do? In this update Dark0ne specifically pointed out that they aren't even finalized. They're close, but close is meaningless in development. You never know what will happen next.

Again, your questions are logical, but you don't deserve to ask them. You're not paying for this product. You are not a client. You're just some lucky guy that gets to have all this free stuff plopped in their lap for nothing.

If it takes 2 months or 2 years, whatever gets made has nothing to do with your opinion or entitled demands for information. You want your own mod managing software? Learn to code and make it yourself, and stop pestering the people who are actually doing the work with your whining.
calscks wrote: >how was Tannin able to build fully functional mod organizer in such a short time when he was working all alone
*2013*
hmm.jpg

i'd've agreed upon your point on showing a few sneak peeks regarding to Vortex, but it's completely optional for whether developers wanting to show it or not. software development works internally, even if it's "agile" enough only selected users shall provide the initial feedback to how a software should or shouldn't work during the development cycle. Tannin has enough credits -- you're completely disregarding the whole development team. @cyrusmagnus describes you well -- entitled individual who doesn't know how real software engineering works, but i can tell it looks as real as people who have spent so much time developing COMMUNITY software whilst getting lashed by take-for-granted users who insistently demand things even before release because we can already see it here.

Well said, cyrusmagnus. Seriously, well said! From what I can see, he's not even a supporter of the site.

Seriously people have to stop denigrating other users opinions because it's "free" software.

The door swings both ways. Maybe they don't get to be demanding, but others don't get a free pass to be a dick about someone as a result of their supporter status.

Is mutual respect so goddamn hard for people?

jaydawg55 wrote: Some of the lack of civility is because the comments are not made on an in-person, face-to-face manner. It is easy to talk like a badass when you are hiding behind a phony name, the internet, and a computer screen.

you're not wrong because being a supporter/premium or not is irrelevant in terms of voicing out, and it's been a while since i last saw anyone who mutually respect each other when being brought into a "discussion". but it takes two to tango. cyrusmagnus' comment was pointing out that the OP was overlooking the people who used their time to build a community software while still demanding for more, while my point was merely extending his. it's free to voice an opinion, and it's still completely free to discard it too. what really matters is how you voice it, and how one agrees or disagrees with it. in this case, it really takes two to tango and what has caused someone to diss anyone who isn't supporter/premium (but i acknowledge it is a wrong approach).

In response to post #55008708. #55008758 is also a reply to the same post.

is33d34dp30ple wrote: Thank you guys for the update! I cant wait to see Vortex when it becomes officially available!
is33d34dp30ple wrote: Maybe we could try a closed alpha shortly before release for premium members? ;) ;)

There's already an alpha release and test cycle in place. It's even said in the article. Then the release will be public, not for the premium only.

In response to post #54935243. #54935523, #54947223, #54947753, #54954958, #54955858, #54958068, #54976953, #54985023, #54987183, #54988083, #54995008, #54997683, #54998783, #54998978, #55009093 are all replies on the same post.

SharraShimada wrote:

Dark0ne wrote:

Go ahead i have time.

*2013*
hmm.jpg

Kedavix wrote: Well said, cyrusmagnus. Seriously, well said! From what I can see, he's not even a supporter of the site.

I know how to code and I'm making my own programs that i need for work so all of your comments about how I don't know software development are just random imaginations.

From start I never said anything against Tannin or development team. I was saying that he was obviously delayed by something and i have an issue with nexus not sharing info on why or showing any development progress.

People are waiting for this more then they are waiting for new site redesign and that's a fact even if you don't agree.

I'm being attacked for saying what everyone is thinking so i hope it will be your way - i hope we wont see any info until next year. (You don't want to see it, right?)
Ethreon wrote: You have to be right to be right. Your supporter status is irrelevant, so is whatever programs you claim to do.

Tannin officially started working for us at the beginning of August. We’re determined to get it right this time, so we’ve been spending a lot of time getting everything written down into proper documentation. Actual programming work has now begun on the project and while I cannot give you any specific timeframes as to how long it’ll take before we get things out, you can rest assured it’s being worked on.

From the Q&A in May:

Robin: Moving forward, what are your release plans for Vortex? Will there be an alpha? What time scales are we talking here?

Tannin: Giving concrete dates is always difficult because one almost always underestimates the amount of work required to polish stuff towards the end.

My current plan is to have an early alpha build in the hands of a limited group of test users within a month, maybe 6 weeks.

Depending on their feedback we should expect somewhere between 1-3 months to fix bugs after which I think we can release a public alpha.

So right now we're about 3 months "behind" Tannin's very rough estimates and ultimately will be 5 months behind if we release the Alpha in January. That time has been spent by Tannin optimising things, fixing bugs from the testing group and working on the UI and UX.

Honestly...you need to chill and remove the stick from wherever it's lodged. If you honestly work in software development, you would know that time estimates are just that. Estimates.
calscks wrote: the problem doesn't lie on your viewpoints -- instead it's the way you deliver your opinions which caused people to "attack?" you. glimpse back to how you reply such as "go ahead i have time" is an open invitation to criticising you even if you didn't mean it...

i don't support dismissing your opinion even if you aren't a supporter or premium, but we'd refute an opinion if it's more or less unfitting in this case. one year of development isn't even long especially when it's an in-house development, and giving out sneak peeks is completely optional. making/writing your own programme doesn't satisfy any conditions of being one complete software development cycle, so most arguments about you not knowing how a real software engineering works is completely relevant. yes you didn't say anything against tannin, you merely gave too much credits to him instead of the whole development team. to sum up you just thought developing a software is as magical as could be magically done by a single person in a short period of time, moreover when the software itself would involve connection to servers such as app and file server while supporting another dozens of games, then proceed to say that vortex development is delayed due to "unnecessary redesign" while the site owner has already cleared it up by saying those are handled by 2 different development teams...really makes me wonder.

No cygus wanted to belittle him Edited by michealclark18

In response to post #54935243. #54935523, #54947223, #54947753, #54954958, #54955858, #54958068, #54976953, #54985023, #54987183, #54988083, #54995008, #54997683, #54998783, #54998978, #55009093, #55013128 are all replies on the same post.

SharraShimada wrote:

Dark0ne wrote:

Go ahead i have time.

*2013*
hmm.jpg

From the Q&A in May:

calscks wrote: the problem doesn't lie on your viewpoints -- instead it's the way you deliver your opinions which caused people to "attack?" you. glimpse back to how you reply such as "go ahead i have time" is an open invitation to criticising you even if you didn't mean it...

i don't support dismissing your opinion even if you aren't a supporter or premium, but we'd refute an opinion if it's more or less unfitting in this case. one year of development isn't even long especially when it's an in-house development, and giving out sneak peeks is completely optional. making/writing your own programme doesn't satisfy any conditions of being one complete software development cycle, so most arguments about you not knowing how a real software engineering works is completely relevant. yes you didn't say anything against tannin, you merely gave too much credits to him instead of the whole development team. to sum up you just thought developing a software is as magical as could be magically done by a single person in a short period of time, moreover when the software itself would involve connection to servers such as app and file server while supporting another dozens of games, then proceed to say that vortex development is delayed due to "unnecessary redesign" while the site owner has already cleared it up by saying those are handled by 2 different development teams...really makes me wonder.
michealclark18 wrote: No cygus wanted to belittle him

If a person voices their opinion, you don't have to be an a**hole to them Cyrus, because you don't like what they said. It isn't your job, to chew people out.

In response to post #54935243. #54935523, #54947223, #54947753, #54954958, #54955858, #54958068, #54976953, #54985023, #54987183, #54988083, #54995008, #54997683, #54998783, #54998978, #55009093, #55013128, #55013173 are all replies on the same post.

SharraShimada wrote:

Dark0ne wrote:

Go ahead i have time.

*2013*
hmm.jpg

From the Q&A in May:

michealclark18 wrote: If a person voices their opinion, you don't have to be an a**hole to them Cyrus, because you don't like what they said. It isn't your job, to chew people out.

> *checks initial commits on github*
> *2013*

MO was closed source initially, then on sourceforge before moving to github.
Development on MO started somewhere beginning of 2011 and at that point the vfs library already existed.

Yeah! can't wait to see that vortex :). Must be hard to make something suitable for both the light and heavy modders (I'm starting to be part of the second category). It's nice to see that you are taking the time to make something great. Quality over speed should always be the goal!

In response to post #54935243. #54935523, #54947223, #54947753, #54954958, #54955858, #54958068, #54976953, #54985023, #54987183, #54988083, #54995008, #54997683, #54998783, #54998978, #55009093, #55013128, #55013173, #55015168 are all replies on the same post.

SharraShimada wrote:

Dark0ne wrote:

Go ahead i have time.

*2013*
hmm.jpg

From the Q&A in May:

michealclark18 wrote: If a person voices their opinion, you don't have to be an a**hole to them Cyrus, because you don't like what they said. It isn't your job, to chew people out.
Tannin42 wrote: > *checks initial commits on github*
> *2013*

Development on MO started somewhere beginning of 2011 and at that point the vfs library already existed.

@Ethreon
You are irrelevant.

@Dark0ne
I'm sorry if you feel there is lodged stick somewhere. That was not my intention. This will obviously not produce any effect with words only so to show what I'm talking about from start ill give constructive example. You can check for Citra development site. There you can see monthly updates that show major changes to the program. Not all of them are amazingly attractive but they show progress is being made. Things that make people happy to wait for the final version.

Now before i continue lets go to the fact that im being attacked for being impatient with development cycle. I fully understand that software development takes time. I also fully understand that you wont develop something you already have experience with longer then you did before. If Vortex was taking 5 years or more to being done i would seriously doubt Tannin and his knowledge. I do not. There is also full time working on something or working on your spare time. Again things have to be done faster when working full time. That's a fact and not my personal opinion. Then there is complexity and bugs that create development delays. Now you shared information that it is 5 months delayed. If things were perfect we would have Alpha already 3 months ago. Nothing in the world is perfect so delays are also understandable.

Now lets continue with comparison between Citra and Nexus. Citra has monthly updates (ill ignore github with daily updates). Nexus has "Tannin is recruited", "development started", "people being recruited", "Alpha with no ETA" "Check our new web site you will get Vortex info in a week" and "Sorry no info again wait for something in 2 months" notices. Did you really have absolutely nothing to write about Vortex during this months of development? There is absolutely no chance that Tannin didn't produce anything for you to show (This is why i said how can it take so long for him to develop vortex because we are shown nothing at all). Now when you do have something you wont share even a screenshot.
Again im not talking about Tannin here or how long it takes to develop but about nexus and its non existing Vortex promotion. If someone says there is one then look at Citra on how its done.

Site Redesign vs Vortex - ask people what they want more. Other one is side project.

@Tannin
Good luck with development. Edited by MysteriousGuy

In response to post #54935243. #54935523, #54947223, #54947753, #54954958, #54955858, #54958068, #54976953, #54985023, #54987183, #54988083, #54995008, #54997683, #54998783, #54998978, #55009093, #55013128, #55013173, #55015168, #55019678 are all replies on the same post.

SharraShimada wrote:

Dark0ne wrote:

Go ahead i have time.

*2013*
hmm.jpg

From the Q&A in May:

Tannin42 wrote: > *checks initial commits on github*
> *2013*

MysteriousGuy wrote: @Ethreon
You are irrelevant.

@Dark0ne
I'm sorry if you feel there is lodged stick somewhere. That was not my intention. This will obviously not produce any effect with words only so to show what I'm talking about from start ill give constructive example. You can check for Citra development site. There you can see monthly updates that show major changes to the program. Not all of them are amazingly attractive but they show progress is being made. Things that make people happy to wait for the final version.

Now before i continue lets go to the fact that im being attacked for being impatient with development cycle. I fully understand that software development takes time. I also fully understand that you wont develop something you already have experience with longer then you did before. If Vortex was taking 5 years or more to being done i would seriously doubt Tannin and his knowledge. I do not. There is also full time working on something or working on your spare time. Again things have to be done faster when working full time. That's a fact and not my personal opinion. Then there is complexity and bugs that create development delays. Now you shared information that it is 5 months delayed. If things were perfect we would have Alpha already 3 months ago. Nothing in the world is perfect so delays are also understandable.

Now lets continue with comparison between Citra and Nexus. Citra has monthly updates (ill ignore github with daily updates). Nexus has "Tannin is recruited", "development started", "people being recruited", "Alpha with no ETA" "Check our new web site you will get Vortex info in a week" and "Sorry no info again wait for something in 2 months" notices. Did you really have absolutely nothing to write about Vortex during this months of development? There is absolutely no chance that Tannin didn't produce anything for you to show (This is why i said how can it take so long for him to develop vortex because we are shown nothing at all). Now when you do have something you wont share even a screenshot.
Again im not talking about Tannin here or how long it takes to develop but about nexus and its non existing Vortex promotion. If someone says there is one then look at Citra on how its done.

Site Redesign vs Vortex - ask people what they want more. Other one is side project.

@Tannin
Good luck with development.

I appreciate you've changed your tone a bit to be less inflammatory.

Unfortunately, your comparison with Citra is not a fair one. Citra is software that was first released in 2015 and was in development from 2014. Their updates are now for new functionality they are adding to an already released piece of software, rather than talking about things pre-release.

Vortex has not been released as it is not in an Alpha releasable format yet, so anything we talk about is still in a state of flux and possible to change in one way or another. Hence why answering lots of questions and publicly talking about every small part of Vortex would be massively counter-intuitive for us (and a big time sink, time which would be much better spent actually working on Vortex).

If, in three years time, we're not following a more open rhetoric with users in regards to the development of Vortex, then you can compare Citra to Vortex and explain how you'd prefer we handled it.