Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

In response to post #55421218.

Arthmoor wrote: You guys didn't stop the rollout or something did you? Ever since you said it was going out live, I've been using the normal address and expecting it to change but it never did. If you said something about it, I missed it.

Though, honestly, not that I mind since I prefer the old layout. The new one is much too flat looking, too cluttered on mod pages, and is harder to follow comments in due to the excessive use of flat color blocks. sorry I can't put that a bit more clearly but it's a general feeling that the site is now designed to be surfed on a 4 inch phone screen and not a 27 inch desktop PC monitor.

We're doing a gradual roll-out at this time, so if you're still on the old design, your number hasn't come up yet.

Feedback taken onboard.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i dislike the new design and i know a way to show the devs exactly how much we dislike it and thats by letting us choose which one to use like my youtube channel does or giving me the option to go back and use the old one sorry your roll out is a mess it causes serious sight issues for me i am legally blind and everything looks smooshed together and just not easy on the eye as the older version is. Please allow us to continue to use the old design rather than just force us to use what amounts to trying to make the site look like an i phone app

In response to post #55385813. #55403098, #55424833 are all replies on the same post.

TheKlingonHamlet wrote: Flat design (in general) is the worst visual cancer humankind has ever invented.
I can't tell what's a button and what is not, and can't fix my eyes on anything, making using the site really difficult for me. It basically looks like one monolithic mess.
I don't understand why you had to make the redesign this way.
Dreizopf wrote: This!

"I can't tell what's a button and what is not"

This is the problem of all smartphone app layouts and should not be used on desktops.
Eolhin wrote: I have to agree with this apt description of the problem telling buttons from things that are not.

I'm also not a very big fan of the new design. OP said it all, but I'm sure things will get better in the future, you guys always have a way of doing things that in the end, turn out to be great. Keep up the good work! Edited by Pushkatu

I'm really unsure as to why this update is needed. If the logic is to make it speedier for users, then it's flawed. This site runs almost instantly for me on a machine from 2011, and I run my ethernet through usb because lightning fried my ethernet port, LOL. If people are complaining about this site being slow, then they are on wireless, have a slow internet package, or have other issues with their machine or network.

I agree with everyone else when they say that the new design just looks like a smartphone app gone wrong, no offense. Just because Microsoft tried to turn every desktop out there into a smartphone with Windows 10 doesn't mean that every website out there has to as well.

In response to post #55429358.

Ruhadre wrote: I'm really unsure as to why this update is needed. If the logic is to make it speedier for users, then it's flawed. This site runs almost instantly for me on a machine from 2011, and I run my ethernet through usb because lightning fried my ethernet port, LOL. If people are complaining about this site being slow, then they are on wireless, have a slow internet package, or have other issues with their machine or network.

I agree with everyone else when they say that the new design just looks like a smartphone app gone wrong, no offense. Just because Microsoft tried to turn every desktop out there into a smartphone with Windows 10 doesn't mean that every website out there has to as well.

"I don't have problems, therefore nobody has problems"

In response to post #55385813. #55403098, #55424833, #55429343 are all replies on the same post.

TheKlingonHamlet wrote: Flat design (in general) is the worst visual cancer humankind has ever invented.
I can't tell what's a button and what is not, and can't fix my eyes on anything, making using the site really difficult for me. It basically looks like one monolithic mess.
I don't understand why you had to make the redesign this way.
Dreizopf wrote: This!

"I can't tell what's a button and what is not"

This is the problem of all smartphone app layouts and should not be used on desktops.
Eolhin wrote: I have to agree with this apt description of the problem telling buttons from things that are not.
Pushkatu wrote: I'm also not a very big fan of the new design. OP said it all, but I'm sure things will get better in the future, you guys always have a way of doing things that in the end, turn out to be great. Keep up the good work!

Well I'm loving it so far :) Then again, I love Windows 10 design too...

In response to post #55383223.

avpn wrote: I'm not really fond of the new design. It feels like it needs more clicks to do some stuff and hides a lot of the preview text when the mod has a big name, the old hovering the mouse over a mod was very helpful because it gave a lot more info then now and was very good to help our judgment to click or not to click on a mod, now it’s just a jack in the box feeling.

The same goes for the featured mods, the new design is quite unfortunate, two mods side-by-side and the other ones (the losers or the good but not enough??) have only a small rectangle to show the images with no description at all. If they are featured, they should all show the same way, just like the old design, oh and with text.

My personal taste... the Media panel should be at the bottom and have an option to be disabled, I honestly don't see much use for it.

The news panel should be sharing space with new mods, side by side just like the old design, but inverted. The old design gave too much space to the news and little to the mods itself, it just needs to be swapped, put the news on the right or left with a single column and the rest for the mods.

Let’s see how many will curse me, or say a crybaby, or an idiot etc.

We/I read all the comments about the redesign. Anything constructive is taken onboard and will be reviewed when we come to making changes over the next several months. Anything unconstructive/rude/just "I hate it" with no feedback is simply ignored (or deleted, if it's particularly rude).

I don't mind people not liking it, just so long as I know why so I can ascertain whether their criticism is actually relevant or not and something I can actually use :smile:

Yours fits in the category of being useful, so thanks.

See? It's not hard, people. Robin and company do listen when you give them something useful. Elaborate. Be descriptive. Suggest alternatives. Be helpful. That will change the new site faster than calling people autists (seriously, when did nexusmods become 4chan?), or just venting that you hate the site but not giving reasons why. You can't fix something if you don't know it's broke.

Was chat something that was going to be fixed for the new website, or are you staying with the Nexusmods/Discord duality? I ask because you could add a small visual element (from what I remember of SQL, it was a bit of code to simply do a run-check, I think) to the Chat button at the top of the page to display status--red for it being down, yellow for it being high-traffic busy, and green being good to go. This could just be changing the color of the text itself so users know at a glance when it's up or down. I don't know if it's possible to have that kind of software inter-operability, though.

Also, and perhaps one of the more veteran posters here can answer this, but could we have a list of third-party websites that nexusmods allows to be linked on this site so that people who are new to the forums know which ones they can use? For a while, I was using photobucket. Then they went premium. Then I switched to postimage.org. Not allowed anymore on Nexus. Nor were a few others. Or at least, is there one you would recommend that doesn't require signing up for a membership just to host images? Tinypic.com is one that seems okay. If we could have this as a sticky, or just as part of a general site FAQ, that would be useful. I bring this up in response to the people who mentioned the drag-and-drop issues. I normally used postimage, but that no longer works, and its like a revolving door, trying to guess which third-party site will be allowed every time I want to post an image. --in the forums, not on the website, per se as I have no problem uploading to my profile. Just wanted to clarify that.

Wait....postimage.org isn't allowed? That's what I've been using....I've tried tinypic, mediafire, flikr and the like, but all of them load so many ads and pop-ups, I can't do a thing with them. why isn't postimage allowed?

Tinypic doesn't work for me. When I try to post, it says images from that hosting site aren't allowed, or something.

This is why I was wondering about a list of endorsed image hosting sites, or at least ones that don't conflict with the site. Now, I'm using imgur. The problem is it seems to fluctuate, and I was hoping we could have a list of sites that are fully functional here.

In response to post #55421218. #55426573 is also a reply to the same post.

Arthmoor wrote: You guys didn't stop the rollout or something did you? Ever since you said it was going out live, I've been using the normal address and expecting it to change but it never did. If you said something about it, I missed it.

Though, honestly, not that I mind since I prefer the old layout. The new one is much too flat looking, too cluttered on mod pages, and is harder to follow comments in due to the excessive use of flat color blocks. sorry I can't put that a bit more clearly but it's a general feeling that the site is now designed to be surfed on a 4 inch phone screen and not a 27 inch desktop PC monitor.
Dark0ne wrote: We're doing a gradual roll-out at this time, so if you're still on the old design, your number hasn't come up yet.

Feedback taken onboard.

I see. I take it it's some kind of regional deployment based on how the CDN breaks things up then?

I'm on my own opinion here, the new layout seems fine, to an extent. To me, and probably other users(though I cannot speak for them) find it difficult to find our way around the new layout. I saw a comment on this thread, not sure who posted it, saying why not do it like Youtube and allow users to use the old layout instead of the new layout if they'd like? Sure, the speed up gained from the new layout is nice and all, and I like that aspect of it since the older layout is a little slow for me and the new layout is much faster, but I can't navigate on the new layout too well. It may come in time I'm able to, and there may be a time I will start using the new layout, but I like the old layout much much better since I am able to find my way around much better. However, if I can find a video explaining how to navigate, then I'll switch after watching it.