Limited Vortex alpha release today, full release soon

Dark0ne

In response to post #57521316.

avgnfan7800 wrote: I live in America and i have been really looking forward to useing vortex, NMM likes to not install or even correctly download mods, i constantly have to switch to FOMM and OBMM.
Do you have a estimated time it will be released over here today? Im more excited then a grown man needs to be over a mod manager haha.

Yea, that is why I always stuck with Mod Organizer, excited to see how Vortex is even though I wouldn't be able to play my modlist with my current aging rig (ENB and or grass mods kills my fps) but I could get it started. Edited by ThatDirtyShisno

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #57521316. #57525306 is also a reply to the same post.

avgnfan7800 wrote: I live in America and i have been really looking forward to useing vortex, NMM likes to not install or even correctly download mods, i constantly have to switch to FOMM and OBMM.
Do you have a estimated time it will be released over here today? Im more excited then a grown man needs to be over a mod manager haha.
ThatDirtyShisno wrote: Yea, that is why I always stuck with Mod Organizer, excited to see how Vortex is even though I wouldn't be able to play my modlist with my current aging rig (ENB and or grass mods kills my fps) but I could get it started.

It's likely not coming out today, but they did say the week starting today, so pretty much any time in the next few days.

In response to post #57521316. #57525306, #57526811 are all replies on the same post.

ThatDirtyShisno wrote: Yea, that is why I always stuck with Mod Organizer, excited to see how Vortex is even though I wouldn't be able to play my modlist with my current aging rig (ENB and or grass mods kills my fps) but I could get it started.
syakamaru wrote: It's likely not coming out today, but they did say the week starting today, so pretty much any time in the next few days.

im so ready for vortex, NMM is the biggest piece of s#*! and dissapointing mod manger ive ever used. it does the bare minimum and struggles even with that. im kind of dreading that vortex might be NMM But worse. if thats even possible

In response to post #57521316. #57525306, #57526811, #57527201 are all replies on the same post.

syakamaru wrote: It's likely not coming out today, but they did say the week starting today, so pretty much any time in the next few days.
avgnfan7800 wrote: im so ready for vortex, NMM is the biggest piece of s#*! and dissapointing mod manger ive ever used. it does the bare minimum and struggles even with that. im kind of dreading that vortex might be NMM But worse. if thats even possible

Nah, Vortex is in good capable hands.

In response to post #57488431.

BeowulfSchmidt wrote:

So far, from what I've seen described here and in videos, I think I'm gonna like Vortex. Possibly not quite as much as MO, but definitely more than NMM. We shall see.

I do have some questions that I haven't seen addressed so far. Not claiming they haven't been, but I've read most of this thread and don't recall them. It's possible that I will find these answers when I start using it, but I'm throwing them out anyway just in case there are nuances that a simple review of the features doesn't reveal.

1. If I set up a dependency between two mods, will that dependency be respected in all of my profiles, or will I need to set it up in every profile in which the affected mods appear? If the former, the next question is moot, but if the latter, when I set up a dependency between three different mods in one profile, and only two of those mods appear in another profile, will that portion of the dependency be applied?
  2. You've chosen "Clone" as the terminology for creating a new profile from an existing one, so I assume that choice is deliberate, i.e. that Vortex makes a completely separate copy of the source profile and renames it, and that changes I make to the original will not be reflected in the copy. Are there any plans to implement some kind of inheritance between profiles such that changes made to the base will be reflected in the children? For instance, say I have a base profile for Fallout 4 that includes all of the DLC, and several child profiles that add different things for different play styles. Then Bethesda releases another DLC. Will there ever be a way to add that to the base profile and then have it automatically show up in all of the children of that profile?
  3. I think I've seen Tannin state that the Vortex UI "themes" are CSS based. Will there be an editor, or do I need to break out Eric Meyer's books again and review my CSS. :cool:

/bs

1) Yes, All rules will be applied to any profile where they are relevant. We've thought about adding an option to store the rule with the profile, so you can have different mod orders in different profiles but this is not yet implemented and I imagine it will be a bit of a hassle to visualize it.

2) Yes, after the clone you have two completely separate profiles. Again, I have considered inheritance like you suggested but it would be very hard to visualize and thus error prone. I.e. you could accidentally enable inheritance or forget you did and then get confused why changes are applied to multiple profiles. Worst case scenario you even lose data.

3) There _is_ a simple editor in settings. When you clone a profile you can change some stuff like colors and font right there in the vortex ui.

For more interesting changes you need to edit css manually though.

Thanks for the responses.

With regard to the inheritance, I wasn't even thinking that the visualization issue would be the most problematic. Honestly, I think it could be visualized moderately easily (he says without knowing anything at all about the code implementation) with forced placement on the panel and connecting lines (maybe even tell-tale icons), indicating parentage. No, I was thinking the difficulty would actually lie with making sure a child was compatible with the parent, and vice versa. For one thing, if one isn't careful about setting up the parents and the children, mod order could end up with all of the "parent" mods being loaded prior to all of the "child" mods for one parent/child set, but a completely different mixture, even completely opposite, for another parent/child. Adjudicating that kind of load order seems like it would be possible, given the way I've seen the rules being described, but I wouldn't want to be the one to implement. :)

I don't think it's an issue anyway given the way you've described the dependencies working. Making sure a new mod makes it into all the cloned ones shouldn't be that arduous.

WRT to the editor, cool. That'll be one of the first things I check out. Thanks.

In response to post #57512891. #57513281 is also a reply to the same post.

sopmac45 wrote: @ Tannin ... hi tannin ... got a question, have two drives, C: and E:; my C: drive is SSD and my E: is a regular hard drive. Currently my FO4 and my Skyrim are loaded ( game and mods ) in my C: which is much faster to play / access my games / mods. If I decide to keep on my C: drive Vortex and in my E:, my games / mods, will that decrease the access / speed on my games / mods ? Don't know how Vortex handles data accessing. Thanks for your answer. :)
Tannin42 wrote: Unfortunately you can't place the mods on a different drive than the game.
Due to how the engine works we have to use hard links for the bethesda games and with those, the link can't be on a different drive than the "original" file.

Thanks so much Tannin.
They will be then in my C:\ drive ( SSD ). Have plenty of storage. :)

In response to post #57531391.

hickups wrote: this was probably answered before if it was I apologise but I'm curious if there'll be an import feature for Vortex to quickly migrate installed mods/profiles from NMM/MO2 or are we looking at a completely fresh install of mod files?

According to answers by users in forum for Vortex, you can import NMM and MO (MO2 as well) mods. Profiles, I have no clue. Edited by ThatDirtyShisno

In response to post #57512891. #57513281, #57529881 are all replies on the same post.

sopmac45 wrote: @ Tannin ... hi tannin ... got a question, have two drives, C: and E:; my C: drive is SSD and my E: is a regular hard drive. Currently my FO4 and my Skyrim are loaded ( game and mods ) in my C: which is much faster to play / access my games / mods. If I decide to keep on my C: drive Vortex and in my E:, my games / mods, will that decrease the access / speed on my games / mods ? Don't know how Vortex handles data accessing. Thanks for your answer. :)
Tannin42 wrote: Unfortunately you can't place the mods on a different drive than the game.
Due to how the engine works we have to use hard links for the bethesda games and with those, the link can't be on a different drive than the "original" file.
sopmac45 wrote: Thanks so much Tannin.

So just to clarify...
Skyrim, Vortex and mods have to be on same drive?

I cant have any of them on a different drive to each other?

In response to post #57512891. #57513281, #57529881, #57532236 are all replies on the same post.

sopmac45 wrote: Thanks so much Tannin.
Gunnarr117 wrote: So just to clarify...
Skyrim, Vortex and mods have to be on same drive?

I cant have any of them on a different drive to each other?

Vortex and downloaded files can be on a different drive, but extracted mods and the game must be on the same drive Edited by RadioactiveStud