Limited Vortex alpha release today, full release soon

Dark0ne

In response to post #57464886. #57468696, #57472621, #57511326 are all replies on the same post.

oblivionfan52 wrote: I have two simple questions and a request. I had a third question but it got lost in the cobwebs of age.

1. When Vortex is available for download will I be able to install it, but keep NMM managing my downloads from the Nexus for SkyrimSE? I would prefer downloading manually for Vortex until I'm comfortable with it.

2. Will we be able to see mods loaded in our save games in Vortex like it's possible in MO? One of the best little features of MO in my opinion.

My request is, I would like to see more feedback on how well the profiles are working in Vortex, the other feature of MO that I really like.

I'm looking forward to giving Vortex a try and from what I've read so far it looks like it will work for me once I've gotten used to it. I'm not a power user so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the hard work on Vortex, whether i use it or run screaming back to NMM. Not likely I think.

My apologies if these questions have been answered and I missed them but I have read through the comments.

Lazybob1 wrote: 1. It wont handle nexus downloads unless you allow it so you should be fine.

2. Yes you can. I also see it has an option to "Restore save game's plugins" though I haven't tested that.
oblivionfan52 wrote: Thanks for the answers Lazybob1.
Tannin42 wrote: re 1: Yes, Vortex doesn't automatically associate with the links, so you can continue using NMM for the links. There is another option: you could get MO and use that to handle download links. Then you can use the nxmhandler.exe included with MO to set up file associations by game. This way you could use NMM for skyrimse downloads and Vortex for, say, Fallout 4 downloads. It's a bit of setup involved but it should work.

re 2: Yes

Thanks Tannin42, I actually use MO with Oldyrim downloading manually. I just took a look at the nxmhandler and it won't open I'll have to check it again tomorrow evening, time now to hit the sack.

Thanks again for the help.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #57512891. #57513281, #57529881, #57532236, #57532921 are all replies on the same post.

sopmac45 wrote: @ Tannin ... hi tannin ... got a question, have two drives, C: and E:; my C: drive is SSD and my E: is a regular hard drive. Currently my FO4 and my Skyrim are loaded ( game and mods ) in my C: which is much faster to play / access my games / mods. If I decide to keep on my C: drive Vortex and in my E:, my games / mods, will that decrease the access / speed on my games / mods ? Don't know how Vortex handles data accessing. Thanks for your answer. :)
Tannin42 wrote: Unfortunately you can't place the mods on a different drive than the game.
Due to how the engine works we have to use hard links for the bethesda games and with those, the link can't be on a different drive than the "original" file.
sopmac45 wrote: Thanks so much Tannin.
They will be then in my C:\ drive ( SSD ). Have plenty of storage. :)
Gunnarr117 wrote: So just to clarify...
Skyrim, Vortex and mods have to be on same drive?

I cant have any of them on a different drive to each other?
RadioactiveStud wrote: Vortex and downloaded files can be on a different drive, but extracted mods and the game must be on the same drive

Exactly, as RadioactiveStud said. Essentially all the file that the _game_ reads need to be on one drive.

In response to post #57531391. #57531801 is also a reply to the same post.

hickups wrote: this was probably answered before if it was I apologise but I'm curious if there'll be an import feature for Vortex to quickly migrate installed mods/profiles from NMM/MO2 or are we looking at a completely fresh install of mod files?
ThatDirtyShisno wrote: According to answers by users in forum for Vortex, you can import NMM and MO (MO2 as well) mods. Profiles, I have no clue.

Yes, you really did answer your own question, there is an option to do that.