Managing the Load Order...

acdover

The Dependencies and Load Order columns are not shown by default. It's pretty easy to imagine a new users doesn't know they can configure their visible columns using the gear icon in the upper right. If folks worked as hard at finding a good reason for a question as they do bashing people and tearing them down then things might go a little smoother.

Is that true? I turned off "advanced mode" and they were still there. I do agree that Vortex can be made more clear and noob friendly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a learning curve, am satisfied with Vortex so far.
But yes - sometimes it REALLY helps for people to spell what to do.

Am a dum dum. Sometimes not the birghtes bulb in the lamp store.
Realise, there are a lot of people out there, that need help everynow and then.
Some because they are mentally challenged, some because they are psychologically challenged, and some.. because they only they their own perspective of how annoying it is that there are people out there provoking around to get help.

U have to spell to those people too, that it is not normal to be so provocative and that it is fully alright if they just ask. Getting search explained helps sometimes too.
U made it to google.
10/10 most helpfull thread. detected.

Edited by CyRave

For my needs, Vortex does perfectly fine though there is a slightly higher learning curve compared to NMM or FOMM. So far I am quite pleased with the Rules function as it has allowed me sort various mods in a way that allows them to work together yet (based on extensive personal experience) that the built-in sorter doesn't yet recognize.

Example:

I have multiple player homes and player home remodel mods in place. Without altering the auto sorting scheme, weapon racks do not function in any of the player homes. Manually adjusting the load order the weapon racks do work in all of the homes. This isn't a fault of Vortex or LOOT but one of the minute fixes that hasn't been shared with the community that I know of.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried Vortex since reinstalling fallout 4 on a new drive. The one thing it is missing is efficient drag and drop load order, everything else worked well. Setting dependencies is not the same as manually adjusting load order, wont move up the list unless you want to set multiple dependencies to move 1 mod, which is silly. I have 40 mods, 22 my own, hence autosorting is useless (not that autosorting works well anyways). In NMM I can manually sort all my mods in 20 seconds and place a new mod where I want in 1 second. I never had an issue with NMM, and liked Vortex as well, but I just dont have the patience for Vortex "load sorting" when there is a much faster tool.

Edited by opt33

Guest deleted34304850

I just tried Vortex since reinstalling fallout 4 on a new drive. The one thing it is missing is efficient drag and drop load order, everything else worked well. Setting dependencies is not the same as manually adjusting load order, wont move up the list unless you want to set multiple dependencies to move 1 mod, which is silly. I have 40 mods, 22 my own, hence autosorting is useless (not that autosorting works well anyways). In NMM I can manually sort all my mods in 20 seconds and place a new mod where I want in 1 second. I never had an issue with NMM, and liked Vortex as well, but I just dont have the patience for Vortex "load sorting" when there is a much faster tool.

go back and use nmm then and problem solved, right?

Drag and drop is better. With mod organizer you could see plainly what was an issue, easily move things around and find the sweet spot, with this system you do not get to move mods, instead you have to set rules. So instead of SEEING a result, a mod being in a different order, the mod is sitting in the same place, but with a rule. I don't want a rule I want to move the damn thing. I think the issue is that Vortex is trying to be different than mod organizer in it's design and it is not a pleasant experience. Granted, there are functions to it that are nice, but this one issue really bugs me. Part of modding is making and tweaking things to your liking, right? Your way. Well, with this system I feel like I am losing options. I would go back to mod organizer but I heard they are going to lose support so there is that.

Guest deleted34304850

Drag and drop is better. With mod organizer you could see plainly what was an issue, easily move things around and find the sweet spot, with this system you do not get to move mods, instead you have to set rules. So instead of SEEING a result, a mod being in a different order, the mod is sitting in the same place, but with a rule. I don't want a rule I want to move the damn thing. I think the issue is that Vortex is trying to be different than mod organizer in it's design and it is not a pleasant experience. Granted, there are functions to it that are nice, but this one issue really bugs me. Part of modding is making and tweaking things to your liking, right? Your way. Well, with this system I feel like I am losing options. I would go back to mod organizer but I heard they are going to lose support so there is that.

then go use MO and all your problems are solved. Right?

Part of modding is making and tweaking things to your liking, right? Your way. Well, with this system I feel like I am losing options. I would go back to mod organizer but I heard they are going to lose support so there is that.

Part of modding is making and tweaking things to your liking, right?

Agreed. That is why I use Vortex. I tweak a lot, and Vortex makes it very easy to recover from tweaks gone wrong.

I would go back to mod organizer but I heard they are going to lose support so there is that.

Try MO2.

For my needs, Vortex does perfectly fine though there is a slightly higher learning curve compared to NMM or FOMM. So far I am quite pleased with the Rules function as it has allowed me sort various mods in a way that allows them to work together yet (based on extensive personal experience) that the built-in sorter doesn't yet recognize.

Example:

I have multiple player homes and player home remodel mods in place. Without altering the auto sorting scheme, weapon racks do not function in any of the player homes. Manually adjusting the load order the weapon racks do work in all of the homes. This isn't a fault of Vortex or LOOT but one of the minute fixes that hasn't been shared with the community that I know of.

You might want to go in the LOOT Discord channel and let them know about that.

I did that once for a plugin that wouldn't sort properly and they fixed it while I was waiting.

• 3 months later...

Vortex is problematic when you have something that needs to load last. I have a mod that when it is not last there is a huge gap in terrain it altered. In mod organizer I can just drop and drag it last. Never an issue. In vortex, I cannot and so the best I can do is tell it to load after the other sixty files one at a time, which is insane, or I can hope that if I tell it to load after the one that is listed last, this will work. It does not. Vortex in this regard is inferior.