Managing the Load Order...

acdover

Vortex is problematic when you have something that needs to load last. I have a mod that when it is not last there is a huge gap in terrain it altered. In mod organizer I can just drop and drag it last. Never an issue. In vortex, I cannot and so the best I can do is tell it to load after the other sixty files one at a time, which is insane, or I can hope that if I tell it to load after the one that is listed last, this will work. It does not. Vortex in this regard is inferior.

In the situation you describe, there's absolutely no need for all those rules. You simply assign the mod in question to a late loading LOOT group. You can do that on the plugins page. It works beautifully.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vortex is problematic when you have something that needs to load last. I have a mod that when it is not last there is a huge gap in terrain it altered. In mod organizer I can just drop and drag it last. Never an issue. In vortex, I cannot and so the best I can do is tell it to load after the other sixty files one at a time, which is insane, or I can hope that if I tell it to load after the one that is listed last, this will work. It does not. Vortex in this regard is inferior.

Inferior only because you did not ask how to do it.

On the Plugins page, double click on the plugin you want last.

On the information panel that pops up, use the Group dropdown.

Change group to Dynamic Patches. Click Sort Now - done.

You will find a lot more text in Picky's writeup:

https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Managing_your_Load_Order

Please explain how this: Open Vortex then do these steps.

Is better than this: Open mod organizer and do this, just drop and drag it last-done.

Is better than this: Open mod organizer and do this, just drop and drag it last-done.

Sorry - I don't play that game. I was answering a "how do I do this" question on Vortex. I am not here to convince anyone.

If you like MO or MO 2 - by all means go use those. Heck, use NMM if that floats your boat.

Guest deleted34304850

your solution is very literal.

use groups - and put the mod that should go last in a group that loads last - and that's all there is. no reason, unless you're a masochist, to create so many rules to push something down the load order.

Guest deleted34304850

you're asking a question that can only be answered by a person's own personal preference. it makes no sense to answer it because unless you agree 100% with the person who answers you, its not going to match your expected answer and therefore, you'll say it's "wrong" when it isn't, it's just a different way to do the same/similar function.

Vortex option is better, since you only need to put a specific plugin into the last LOOT Group once. After doing this you can add or remove as many other mods and plugins as you want and your specific plugin will still load last.

In MO2 on the other hand, if you install one new mod that includes plugin, you'll get a new plugin at the bottom, meaning a new plugin after the plugin you put last. This again means, if you still want your particular plugin to load last, in MO2 you need to put the same plugin last every time you add a new mod that contains plugin.

• 3 weeks later...

use groups - and put the mod that should go last in a group that loads last - and that's all there is. no reason, unless you're a masochist, to create so many rules to push something down the load order.

I'm very new to modding with Vortex. So how does one know which mod group loads last?

Edited by PoolFloater

I'm very new to modding with Vortex. So how does one know which mod group loads last?

By going to the PLUGINS tab, and clicking MANAGE GROUPS.

Or you can go to the plugins tab and double click on a plugin, and in the right hand panel that opens up, you click on on the GROUP Dropdown menu and they are listed in the order the the groups load.

If you want a mod to be last in your load order, put it in the DYNAMIC PATCHES group.

But ONLY manually manage your load order if Vortex reports a problem, Vortex isn't like NMM, where NMM let you screw up your load order.

The only time you should change something in Vortex is if Vortex gives you a CONFLICT message ore an Error Message.

Let vortex do its job.