Vortex GUI - Q&A - explanations (not suggestions)

NikVilKok

I understand why there's no manual at the moment. But can't we, the community, get together and try to explain the stuff that's in there?

And please, don't debate what should be in there. There's a million other threads for that.

Edit - I believe it would be a good idea if one of the moderators put up a sticky thread named something like "Community made User Manual for Vortex" or just "User Manual for Vortex". Then like I've done with this thread, add questions and answers as we learn. That way new users have somewhere to start learning, and we (the community could offload Tannin and the crew of the dire job of writing a manual). The community will do the answering anyway, why not gather the knowledge in an easy to read way?

Mod flags

In the Plugins view, some of the mods have flags.

Spray Bottle

Q: One of the flags is an icon of a spray bottle. If you hover the mouse over it, the tool tip reads "Requires cleaning (LOOT)". What does Requires cleaning (LOOT) mean?

A1: That means that LOOT is reporting that the mod needs to be cleaned. In order to clean the dirty files LOOT is reporting, you need to open Xedit, aka Tes4edit, FO4edit, SSEEdit, etc,

- HadToRegister Link to Cleaning Esps and Esms Guide

Deploy and Purge

Q: Does what?

A: Instead of putting files directly in the Data folder, Vortex uses links to the actual files. Deploy tells Vortex to install all the links for the files in your current profile mod list. Purge removes all these links returning the Data folder to a vanilla condition somewhat. I say somewhat because Vortex won't uninstall files it didn't install in the first place. - SkunkMonkey

The Green and Orange buttons

The green ones are for status, the orange ones are for actions.

Q: Both have a trash can. Is there a difference in function?

Enabling mods

Q: After installing a mod, there's multiple ways of enabling it. The green button, and in the info field in the top right corner. If I enable via the green button, the info field text remains. If I enable via the info field, the green button switches to enabled. Are they doing the same thing, with only a graphics bug that doesn't update the info field status, or do they do different things?

*please add more*

I understand why there's no manual at the moment. But can't we, the community, get together and try to explain the stuff that's in there?

And please, don't debate what should be in there. There's a million other threads for that.

Mod flags

Q: One of the flags is an icon of a spray bottle. If you hover the mouse over it, the tool tip reads "Requires cleaning (LOOT)". What does Requires cleaning (LOOT) mean?

That means that LOOT is reporting that the mod needs to be cleaned by bringing it into one of the Xedit program, applying "Filter for Cleaning", then Remove "Identical to Master" Records, then Undelete and Disable References.

Deploy and Purge

Q: Does what?

Instead of putting files directly in the Data folder, Vortex uses links to the actual files. Deploy tells Vortex to install all the links for the files in your current profile mod list. Purge removes all these links returning the Data folder to a vanilla condition somewhat. I say somewhat because Vortex won't uninstall files it didn't install in the first place.

Mod flags

>> Running LOOT will definitely remove that flag so it is nice, don't you think that Vortex is alerting you about that error so you can fix it via LOOT ? Run LOOT and clean your master files NOT the mods. For example, clean Skyrim.esm, Update.esm, Dawnguard, Heartfire and Dragonborn ONLY ( do not clean any mod ). By the way, do not forget to clean Dawnguard twice and after that, to manually remove the 3 remaining records that can only be removed manually. Look for this procedure in Steam and follow it by the letter.

"" I understand why there's no manual at the moment. But can't we, the community, get together and try to explain the stuff that's in there?

And please, don't debate what should be in there. There's a million other threads for that. ""

>> We have two forums for Vortex, one for feedback and the other for discussions, so the community is right here helping each other.

I did search the forum for answers before putting this thread up. Like for "deploy", "mod flag", etc. The hits I got was either difficult to understand or non existent.

As you wrote, the community is there and helping each other. I still believe it would be a good idea if one of the moderators put up a sticky thread named something like "Community made User Manual for Vortex" or just "User Manual for Vortex". Then like I've done with this thread, add questions and answers as we learn. That way new users have somewhere to start learning, and we (the community could offload Tannin and the crew of the dire job of writing a manual). As you wrote, the community will do the answering anyway, why not gather the knowledge in an easy to read way?

>> Running LOOT will definitely remove that flag so it is nice, don't you think that Vortex is alerting you about that error so you can fix it via LOOT ? Run LOOT and clean your master files NOT the mods.

How do I clean files with LOOT?

Yes, it's very nice. I didn't complain on seeing the flag, I asked what it meant...

The last part of cleaning the master files and not the mods I didn't get at all.