Official Vortex Beta Release

Dark0ne

i have a big question, does vortex not include skse? cause i cannot find a way to run it with skse and when i dont the game crashes repeatedly and almost immediately when i start it update: disregard i just figured it out right after i posted this comment

Edited by Reptoman7000

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to get vortex to work but it insisted on write access to my root files...which sadly led to my OS being corrupted, forcing a factory setting reinstall. Dealing with conflicts manually is a living hell as well, espetially when multiple mods want to use the same file.

In response to post #64576001.

Tkohr wrote: I want to say you, Vortex is Epic, im using NMM for looong time, and all what i hate in NMM is gone with Vortex, what a great piece of work, and it tooks me only 1-2hours to understand how Vortex works, and what i can do with this awesome tool, thank you so much for all the hard work you put in, thank you NexusMods to bring us all awesome stuff, thank you all Modders to bring us great epic Mods, i love you all really :) Fus Roh Da

Agree wholeheartedly

In response to post #64565481. #64575221, #64621241 are all replies on the same post.

HadToRegister wrote:

So it was never answered in my previous comment thread, but why does vortex need the download folder to be empty, and will this ever change? I'm pretty sure all the problems I've had stem from this.

It needs to be empty because it creates it's own subfolders for all of the games it will be managing

CyanideInsanity wrote: I was more asking about the reasoning as to why, and not the explanation of code X makes program do X and not Y because code isn't Y.
Tannin42 wrote: Well, the dialog is about you telling vortex where it's supposed to store its own downloads and then vortex moves its existing downloads there.
If there are already files there then that implies another application is using that directory and various problems could arise from that
a) it could be messy
b) the applications could overwrite each others files
c) if the other application(s) add/modify files in that directory, Vortex will try to pick them up and interpret them as mod archives, who's to say that makes sense?
E.g. if Vortex picks up a new file in _its_ download folder it will contact Nexus Mods asking if that file is known and if so, retrieve meta information about it.
In the future the archive might be opened in the background, searched for a fomod/info.xml file and meta information retrieved from that.
If you have another application working on that same directory, one that maybe creates temporary files there for example, this may severely affect performance and could even cause errors from race conditions (e.g. vortex currently has the archive open while the other application thinks it can access it).

Bottom line is: Vortex assumes that it has exclusive use of that download folder, it's not designed to deal with other applications accessing it in parallel.
As such there is no scenario where it make sense to select a download folder that is not empty. If there are files there, Vortex assumes that something else is using the folder (obviously, because where would the files come from otherwise?) and assumes it was selected by mistake.

If your intention is to add files you manually downloaded to vortex as mod archives then give vortex an empty directory and move over your files afterwards. This way Vortex knows (well, assumes really) that it's supposed to pick them up.

Not the answer I was hoping for, but the explanation was. Maybe its known, or not, but vortex treats FO4VR as an entirely separate game from FO4 where as nexusmods does not, requiring its own dl folder with everything manually copied over. Edited by CyanideInsanity

I've started using Vortex and none of my mods are going in. Followed everything as it is supposed to be but only a couple have worked. I think I got rid of NMM way too soon. F4SE (up to date) doesn't work at all and is messing everything up. So it is as they say. BTW, Win 7 64-bit My first post ever on any forum so hope I did it right.

I am loving Vortex! i got most of my mods transferred over, however i am having an issue getting Vortex to recognize that i have installed FNIS, i have installed it manually and through the manager, neither way gets it to recognize. That is my 1 and only issue with Vortex! If any can help me solve it i would be ecstatic! haha

I am confused.... Trying to get back into Fallout 4, want to try a new Mod...

I'm still using NMM v0.65.2 and its not working anymore... and I can't download anything with it.

So I have to use this vortex thing now? Do I have to go and reinstall ALL my existing mods with it... or how does that work?

I am confused.... Trying to get back into Fallout 4, want to try a new Mod...

I'm still using NMM v0.65.2 and its not working anymore... and I can't download anything with it.

So I have to use this vortex thing now? Do I have to go and reinstall ALL my existing mods with it... or how does that work?

Nexus Mods has provided a number of instructional helps for Vortex. Click the following link: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7060326-vortex-help-center-faq-documentation/

I've started using Vortex and none of my mods are going in. Followed everything as it is supposed to be but only a couple have worked. I think I got rid of NMM way too soon. F4SE (up to date) doesn't work at all and is messing everything up. So it is as they say. BTW, Win 7 64-bit My first post ever on any forum so hope I did it right.

You may want to take your issue to the Vortex Support forum: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/forum/4306-vortex-support/. There are knowledgeable people there who may be able to help you.

Another issue I had was when I tried to deal with conflicts. I had several weapons that all shared the same sound file. Unfortunately vortex saw these as a crash issue, which surprised me as they'd worked perfectly alongside each other via NMM. Vortex (which was in late alpha at the time) went so far as to abort any attempt to run my game. I tried every combo of resolve links to try and fix it to no avail, eventually being forced to uninstall all the weapons but just to run it.

Has this issue been resolved. One think I like about NMM is that it can make these resolvement links automatically, something I struggle with as, A: I had no knowledge to fix them myself and B: there was no tutorial videos that addressed the problem, leaving me in the dark to struggle.

Edit: I have read the 'resolving conflicts' article on the wiki and it did not help at all. I actually followed the instructions the first time and my load order became a complete nightmare

Edited by Lynchpin451