Whitescreen - Reasons

Tannin42

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i ether have the worst luck in the world or you are wrong on the thing not crashing on ALL MODS BECAUSE I CAN NOT GET A SIGNAL MOD TO WORK . it crashes then when it comes back up its in an endless install loop not doing anything else . if this thing starts crashing my pc i am done with this and will look for another moding sight

Vortex - being a user space application - can't crash your pc, only broken drivers, broken hardware or a bug in the OS itself can do that. (This is true on every unix ever and every windows after Windows ME)

Now when your Vortex crashes when you install a mod that's almost certainly caused by a broken .net install. Try reinstalling/updating your .net framework to at least 4.6 (current version is 4.8 I think which is fine too).

• 1 month later...

Vortex - being a user space application - can't crash your pc, only broken drivers, broken hardware or a bug in the OS itself can do that. (This is true on every unix ever and every windows after Windows ME)

Now when your Vortex crashes when you install a mod that's almost certainly caused by a broken .net install. Try reinstalling/updating your .net framework to at least 4.6 (current version is 4.8 I think which is fine too).

A crash of an app is usually the result of a domino effect. Something goes wrong somewhere and everything that depends on it goes belly up until the OS can no longer handle the stop-gapping and gives up and the program or app crashes. Now; if this app has its hooks in the OS (which it always has, otherwise it wouldn't work) there's always the possibility the OS goes down with the app and you get a Blue Screen. Happens all the time. So, yes, Vortex can be at the basis of a PC crash*, just like anything else on your computer.

*not the original meaning of crash, which is the hard drive that has the OS which gives up the ghost, but a blue screen of (formerly) death.

Umm, no, that's simply not true. An application has no "hooks" into the OS, what are you even talking about?

user space application communicate with the kernel (and drivers) through an isolation layer (consisting of ntdll.dll and a bunch of other os libraries) that is also part of the OS and nothing going through that isolation layer is supposed to be able to cause the OS to crash, otherwise the isolation is compromised (which would then almost certainly also compromise system security).

A "healthy" Windows 10 (properly updated, working drivers, working hw) never blue screens, simple as that.

And no, "hard drive that has the OS which gives up the ghost" is not the "original" meaning of "crash". We were talking about our PCs crashing long before HDDs were even a thing.

What you probably mean is a "head crash" where the read/write head of a spinning disk makes contact with the platters.

Okay so. Vortex is being closed manually by me. When I next open it, it says there was an exception of some sort. It links here. Everything else seems to be perfectly fine and I don't have time at the moment to figure out the problem myself. I just wanted to post here in case there is something particularly bad happening.

Most likely it's not serious, sometimes applications or libraries will cause a crash as the application ends during cleanup. Since the app is ending anyway (and all data has already been saved) there is no negative impact but it does indicate that you probably have some broken/outdated dll somewhere.

From the cases we investigated in the past most commonly this happens with an xml library shipped with antique versions of MS Office.

• 4 weeks later...

So i have been getting allot of crashing issues lately. They've all been CTD with the exception of a few minutes ago, my vortex crashed as my game did.
I'm level 55 now and have suffered ctd periods at around an hour or two of gameply, didnt bother me too much. but the funny thing is when i started this character, i had tons of graphic and gamplay altering mods and at first the game was completely stable. no crashes at all.
Eventually as i progressed through the game, around lvl 15 is when i noticed crashing, and i started turning off allot of mods that didnt really affect the gamplay i was going for. I reduced my graphics, got mods that removed useless items out of the game, put OVT on, etc. Removed weapon mods for guns i wasnt using on this build, and i kept getting ctd's after about an hour. when i hit lvl 55 i decided to go ahead and get some of those sidequests out of the way, decided to do pickman's gallery. it crashes either when i enter that cell block, or shortly after entering the building.
After i kept getting theses instant CTD's i redownloaded fallout 4 in hopes that my old mods i stopped using were still embedded and thus reinstalling should just get rid of all that. however nothing changed. and upon trying again, vortex now crashes with my fallout. I kinda miss the user un-friendly nmm. i never had any crashes or stability issues. since switching even my skyrim se is unplayable cause it ctd's ever 5 minutes with mods or not. but im here for fallout.
anyways The only mods i really have is guns, mods that maximize vanilla textures reducing their resource sizes, I have a jetpack mod and a power armor mod that makes power armor a real tank suit.
these are my mods in the order vortex decided:
Fallout4.esm
DLCRobot.esm
DLCworkshop01.esm
DLCCoast.esm
DLCworkshop02.esm
DLCworkshop03.esm
DLCNukaWorld.esm
OVT.esp
Insignificant Object Remover.esp
RealJetpack.esp
DLCWeaponsinCW.esp
MRPA - Stat Overhaul.esp
console.esp
Journey.esp
F4NV-AMR.esp

9mmPistol.esp

F4NVServiceRifleRedux.esp

WattzLazerGun.esp

VarmintRifle.esp

HuntingShotgun.esp

SigSauer127.esp

DOOMDesertEagle.esp
R91 AssaultRifle.esp

EnclaveX02.esp
More Power Armour Mods.esp

Realistic Death Physics - ALL DLC.esp

10mmSMG.esp

CROSS_RugerMkv.esp

DLCAmmoScrounger.esp
DOOM1911.esp

MMP4APA-blue.esp

MMP4APA.esp
More Power Armour Mods - X-02.esp

Better Power Armor - Extended.esp
StartMeUp.esp

StartMeUpFarHarborPatch.esp
StartMeUpNukaWorldPatch.esp

These are my everything tied to the game.
PLEASE! someone who knows what they're doing beyond my current knowledge, please help me :(
I love fallout and i wanna keep playing. if i have to delete my character and start over i can make peace with that. but i just want my game to be stable again.

Guest deleted34304850

if you have removed mods from your active play through, then that will break that game. nothing to do with vortex at all.

simple answer - don't uninstall mods from fo4 its not designed for you to do that.

• 2 weeks later...