Installing Script Extender through Vortex

jayrichardm
Go to solution Solved by jayrichardm,

I have installed the script extender in Vortex three times. The second and third time Vortex said it was already installed. But I can't find it under Mods or Plugins, and when I start my game a mod that uses it SkyUI sends me an error message that it hasn't been installed. Where should I look for the extender?

First off, just install Script Extender manually by following the install instructions included right inside the Script Extender zip file.
It's much quicker.

Second, the Script Extender and a LOT of mods that need it, will NOT have a Mod or ESP Plugin that shows in Vortex, because that's just how Script extenders work, they have *.dll files instead that reside in the Script Extender Folder instead of the Game\Data folder.

Script Extender will be in Skyrim (or Skyrim Special Edition)\Data\SKSE (or SKSE64)\

As I already explained, that is what I did, installed it manually according to the instructions in the Extender file, three times.

Is there a way to look at this Script extender file?

I had started a new play through for the purpose of getting two new mods, Mining for Mages Redux and Random mining, to work. They need the script extender and SkyUI to work. Even though I continued to get the error message from SkyUI, in that temporary play through those mods eventually started to work and I started to get those God awful inventory screens that come with SkyUI. When I went back to my regular play through they no longer worked. I know that sounds weird, but that is what I'm getting.

Now my game is crashing whenever I save. I have to think that is due to this script extender problem.

I found the Script Extender Folder and file. Everything looks right. So I don't know why SkyUI can't find it. Perhaps because I have tried a couple of download managers, trying to find one that works for me.

Are you starting the game with SKSE_loader.exe?

Also, are you playing Skyrim, or Skyrim Special Edition?

For Skyrim you need SKSE, for SKyrim Special Edition you need SKSE64

The script extender and *.dll files should be in the SAME directory as your SKyrim exe.

The SCRIPTS in the Script Extender 7z file should be in the DATA\Scripts folder

Actually, I use Steam to start my game.now. Then I use Vortex to load any Nexus mods. I stay away from Vortex as much as I can because I have a lot of Bethesda mods and Vortex can't work with Bethesda mods and completely screws up my load order. I've played around with Mod Organizer. I'm hopping to find a mod manager that will let me manage both Nexus mods and Bethesda mods. Having learned more than I want to about the rivalry between Bethesda and Nexus, such a mod organizer probably doesn't exist. So, no, I'm not using SKSE_loader.exe. This is the first I've heard of it. I've only been on a PC for about four weeks. Before that I was on an Xbox X, but it couldn't handle the game and the mods I had loaded and was crashing about every half hour. Ill take a look at the SKSE_loader.exe though.

I'm playing Skyrim SE. Your statement here "SKyrim Special Edition you need SKSE64" isn't clear. Are you saying there is a separate 64 bit version of Skyrim? If you are, I couldn't find one on their web site. Or maybe your saying there is a 64 bit version of SKSE_loader.exe. Ill check that out when I hunt that loader down.

It doesn't sound like you saw the addendum I added to my last post. I found the folder with the script extender in it, and it looked all right.

I started a new play through. When I first started it, I got the same error message that SkyUI couldn't find the script extender, and the mod was disabled. After a few hours I reactivated SkyUI, and this time it was able to find the script extender. It's still not working right though. With Electro Mining I can harvest hundreds of Clay and Query Stones in very little time, but with ore veins it tells me the vein is depleted without harvesting any ore at all.

Actually, I use Steam to start my game.now. Then I use Vortex to load any Nexus mods. I stay away from Vortex as much as I can because I have a lot of Bethesda mods and Vortex can't work with Bethesda mods and completely screws up my load order. I've played around with Mod Organizer. I'm hopping to find a mod manager that will let me manage both Nexus mods and Bethesda mods. Having learned more than I want to about the rivalry between Bethesda and Nexus, such a mod organizer probably doesn't exist. So, no, I'm not using SKSE_loader.exe. This is the first I've heard of it. I've only been on a PC for about four weeks. Before that I was on an Xbox X, but it couldn't handle the game and the mods I had loaded and was crashing about every half hour. Ill take a look at the SKSE_loader.exe though.

I'm playing Skyrim SE. Your statement here "SKyrim Special Edition you need SKSE64" isn't clear. Are you saying there is a separate 64 bit version of Skyrim? If you are, I couldn't find one on their web site. Or maybe your saying there is a 64 bit version of SKSE_loader.exe. Ill check that out when I hunt that loader down.

It doesn't sound like you saw the addendum I added to my last post. I found the folder with the script extender in it, and it looked all right.

I started a new play through. When I first started it, I got the same error message that SkyUI couldn't find the script extender, and the mod was disabled. After a few hours I reactivated SkyUI, and this time it was able to find the script extender. It's still not working right though. With Electro Mining I can harvest hundreds of Clay and Query Stones in very little time, but with ore veins it tells me the vein is depleted without harvesting any ore at all.

If you've installed SKSE Manually 3 times as you said, then you should be very familiar with SKSE_Loader.exe because it's inside the zip file of SKSE because it's what you're supposed to Start the Game with in order to use Script Extender Mods and you would've had to drag it, and the other files from the zip folder into your game directory, 3 times

You followed these instructions?

SKSE install
[ Installation ]
1. Copy the .dll and .exe files to your Skyrim SE directory. This is usually in your Program Files folder under Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\. If you see files named SkyrimSE and SkyrimSELauncher, this is the correct folder. Do not copy these files to the Data folder as with a normal mod. The "src" folder is only useful for programmers, most users can ignore it.
2. Copy the .pex files in Data\Scripts\ into the Data\Scripts\ folder of your installation. The .pex files are needed by all users of SKSE.

I am curious about this statement

I stay away from Vortex as much as I can because I have a lot of Bethesda mods and Vortex can't work with Bethesda mods and completely screws up my load order.

This makes no sense to me. I did this:

• Downloaded "Richer Merchants" from Bethesda.net and installed it via the in-game mod tab.
  • Alt-tabbed out of the game and found the mod in my Data folder.
  • Zipped it up and copied it to my Vortex downloads folder.
  • Went back in game and deleted "Richer Merchants" and then closed the game.
  • Opened Vortex and installed the new "Richer Merchants" zipped file (remember to deploy)
  • Voila!

I know that this a lot of steps. I can only see the worth if you find a mod that is exclusive to Bethesda.net. But honestly, literally everything I saw there was a port from a Nexus mod.

Another point is that the in-game mod tab will wreck your load order. If I was going to install a Bethesda.net mod, I think it best to install it (as above), close the game and use Vortex/Loot to reorder everything correctly before resuming my game.

On https://skse.silverlock.org/ where are 3 different versions of the game to download for. For classic, if you download the archive, you'll download a file called skse_1_07_03.7z. If you download for SE you'll download a file called skse64_2_00_17.7z and if you download for VR you'll download a file called sksevr_2_00_11.7z.

For simplicity, these different versions are therefore called SKSE, SKSE64 and would guess SKSEVR (or SKSE-VR).

In addition, after installing you'll see SKSE uses skse_loader.exe, SKSE64 uses skse64_loader.exe and SKSEVR uses sksevr_loader.exe