Disabled Plugins, Staging Folders, and Excessive Sort Times

nt5raham

@Tannin42, thanks for the details! Now we know. In my case, it is the consequences of running an exceptionally large load order. My choice, and the longer wait times are mine to deal with. :)

@HadToRegister, just an FYI, Wrye Bash is doing something similar when preparing to create a Bashed Patch. I just got a warning message while bringing Wrye Bash up: Unrecognized Versions. The plugin that it flagged is Disabled in Vortex.

Yes.

Consistent behavior with what Tannin42 was describing. Even though it is flagged as a warning by Wrye Bash, indicating it is still being processed, it is being ignored when rebuilding the Bashed Patch.

• 3 months later...

I am updating this because, as might be expected, the excessive sort time is getting worse. I understand, thanks to @Tannin42, that LOOT needs to sort all plugins whether enabled or disabled. But the amount of time it is taking in Vortex seems really excessive. So rather than speak in relative terms I am providing some details.

Processor: Intel i7-7700K @ 4400 MHz

RAM: 64 GB @ 3066 MHz

OS/Game Drive: 1TB SSD

Backup Drive: 1TB HDD

Graphics Card: RTX 2070 Super 8GB

Internet Connection 1Gbps fiber, 950 Mbps up/down typical

Vortex v1.3.17

Standalone LOOT Version 0.15.1 (build 82c756e1)

Skyrim Special Edition

Active Mods 1,232

Active Plugins 241

Light Plugins 636

Disabled Plugins 409 (mostly in merged plugins)

Total Plugins 1,286

System Usage During Vortex Sort:

Vortex CPU Usage 10% - 17% (multiple processes)

Total CPU Usage 15% - 28%

Vortex RAM Usage 1.7 GB

Total RAM Usage 10 GB (15%)

Disk Usage Less than 1MB/sec

Network Usage Less than 1Mbps

Vortex Sort Time 1 hr 0 min 58 sec (No Notifications)

Standalone LOOT Sort Time 7 min 10 sec

Of course, Vortex has to deal with Groups and Rules when sorting that Standalone LOOT doesn't have. Still, an hour for Vortex vs. 7 min for LOOT seems to indicate that something is awry with Vortex in my opinion. Hopefully this can be fixed easily.

@HTR asked in another thread:

"Just for s*** and giggles, and assuming you're talking about a Bethesda game with over 1,000 mods, take a look at your "vortex.deployment.json" located in the game's DATA folder
What's the file size?
I have 314 mods, and it's 5.75mb
It contains (AFAIK) every single file, from BSA, BA2, to nif, dds etc in it that's installed, (If I'm wrong, then it only contains the files that you set rules for), anyway, it takes me a very long time to scroll through that json file, and I imagine with the amount of mods you have installed that that file gets written and rewritten every time you add/remove/deploy.
Anyway, I'm curious about the size of that json file"
The file size in my setup is 45,965 KB.

I know there are numerous modders out there with over 1,000 mods installed. Am I the first to do this with Vortex? Just wondering why it feels like we are having to cut a new path through the thickets here. "To boldly go where no man has gone before..."

BTW, happy birthday to TESV! 9 years old? Originally released 11/11/11 if I remember correctly.