Can't Switch Games Anymore

StormCloud2B

I recently installed fallout 3 then added it to my games list in vortex didn't add a single think to it. Now When I click manage on any other game I get an infinite loading wheel. I had to uninstall fallout 3 for it to let me change games cause it had no choice when there was no more fallout 3.

Edited by StormCloud2B

I'm having the exact same problem and I guess it was caused by Fallout 3 as well (everything was fine before adding Fallout 3 to my Vortex games list). Deinstalling Fallout 3 (with Steam) and reinstalling Vortex didn't help.

I found a very easy solution that works for me atleast: Just delete the Fallout 3 folder from within the Vortex Mods folder. This forces Vortex to remove Fallout 3 from the games list. I can now switch between games again.

I found a very easy solution that works for me atleast: Just delete the Fallout 3 folder from within the Vortex Mods folder. This forces Vortex to remove Fallout 3 from the games list. I can now switch between games again.

First, PURGE your Fallout 3 mods, then just delete the Fallout 3 profile in Vortex.

Or you can go to the MOD tab, use CTRL+A and select REMOVE ALL., then Delete your Fallout 3 Profile.

FO3 specifically is probably not the problem, I assume this could just as well happen with other games.

When you switch between games, Vortex has to ensure that the previously active game is fully synchronized (meaning mods deployed, ini files and plugins.txt updated, ...) so there are no "uncommitted" changes made in/by Vortex. Only then can it can activate the new game, otherwise if you make manual changes to the game Vortex might get confused.

There is something up with the Fallout 3 setup for the affected user that prevents Vortex from correctly "synchronizing" and for some reason Vortex doesn't report that but gets stuck.

What exactly that is I can't tell from these reports, the log file would probably help.

If I were to guess I'd assume it's got something to do with file permission. I seem to remember that older mod managers (fomm, nmm, wrye bash) would set the ini files for the old fallout games to read-only to ensure the bethesda game launcher wouldn't undo their changes. Maybe the game was previously managed one of those mod managers and for some reason Vortex gets stuck on that read-only flag (usually it is able to un-set it).

Not saying the other mod manager is at fault (I seem to have to make that disclaimer), just saying there has to be something non-standard with the game or we would have this problem more frequently. Once we can figure out what that is, fixing the bug in Vortex is probably a matter of minutes.

I use Fallout 3 with Vortex, however, I didn't use FOMM, NMM or WryeBash, I just used Vortex, and I have no problem with Fallout 3.
The only difference is I have the GOG version installed.

However, I initially had the Steam version installed, but I couldn't start a new game, I could load an old game, but if a tried to start a new game, I would crash right at the Birth scene.

So I PURGED my mods, uninstalled Fallout 3 Steam, and installed Fallout 3 GOG, changed the paths in Vortex, and DEPLOYED my mods, and everything was good.

Using Vortex I've had no problems running Fallout 3 (Steam) and switching games and/or profiles. While not presently installed, I have previously and successfully run Fallout 3 on two separate computers. Like HTR, I did not use FOMM, NMM or WryeBash.

• 2 weeks later...

FO3 specifically is probably not the problem, I assume this could just as well happen with other games.

When you switch between games, Vortex has to ensure that the previously active game is fully synchronized (meaning mods deployed, ini files and plugins.txt updated, ...) so there are no "uncommitted" changes made in/by Vortex. Only then can it can activate the new game, otherwise if you make manual changes to the game Vortex might get confused.

There is something up with the Fallout 3 setup for the affected user that prevents Vortex from correctly "synchronizing" and for some reason Vortex doesn't report that but gets stuck.

What exactly that is I can't tell from these reports, the log file would probably help.

If I were to guess I'd assume it's got something to do with file permission. I seem to remember that older mod managers (fomm, nmm, wrye bash) would set the ini files for the old fallout games to read-only to ensure the bethesda game launcher wouldn't undo their changes. Maybe the game was previously managed one of those mod managers and for some reason Vortex gets stuck on that read-only flag (usually it is able to un-set it).

Not saying the other mod manager is at fault (I seem to have to make that disclaimer), just saying there has to be something non-standard with the game or we would have this problem more frequently. Once we can figure out what that is, fixing the bug in Vortex is probably a matter of minutes.

Same with Fallout 4, and I'm not about to uninstall it and the 336-ish mods with it just to access a different game. So if you would please get up off your lazy south ends and release an update that fixes this like you could and should have done in oh, maybe the past TWO OR THREE UPDATES AT THE VERY LEAST, I and thousands of others who play and have mods for both fallout 4 and at least one other game would be eternally grateful. :mad:

I have FO3, FO4, FONV, SSE, Enderal, Morrowind, Oblivion, and The Witcher 3, and I can switch between games just fine.

How about posting exactly WHAT your problem is, and what you have tried etc, instead of just posting a rant?

Maybe something could get resolved instead of everybody just piling into the thread and saying ME TOO without giving any Details, and LOGS, and Mods they're using etc.

So, how about posting some info?

What happens? etc...