Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was one thing that wasn't mentioned pertaining to download speeds, what happens if you're not viewing the ads because you've donated? Will you still obtain the additional download speed that you would get viewing both types of ads?

I think that an overhaul of the endorsement system is an excellent idea and well needed! (insert Huzzah!) I also really like the idea of turning off the ads for a small fee for supporters. I think you should make the fee a little higher honestly as it seems a bit low. I am sure most of the supporters would be happy paying up to 5.00 for the opportunity to cruise the Nexus ad free while helping you with your rather costly updates.

Abstention system = brilliant, thanks Robin! I hope this will be reflected in an NMM update later, whereby you can see that you've abstained an endorsement for the moment, just as you can see the gold endorsements presently. Because so often I would have mod content that my chars haven't encountered yet in the game. A "fake" endorsement post-download but pre-encounter has never felt right.

750kb/s isn't slow enough to convince someone that it's worthwhile to support this site. if it would benefit the nexus to REDUCE the basic speeds for people who don't contribute much then why not do it?

the average person on here can't even find or read the readme, so they're not gonna notice a difference in 350mb/s and 750mb/s, armor compilations will be "slow" to them still and small mods will be nearly instant.

of course if the nexus doesn't benefit from this reduction, what's the point, but the basic speeds are just too good.

i'd not complain about a thing even with 250mb/s speeds if i wasn't generating ANY money for the site. i think the server errors are more annoying

Edited by Guest

Another very informative blog. I normally don't take the time to read blogs (they rarely have much useful to say, think I) but I'm glad I read this one (and the earlier one, too). An explanation of the ad revenue process is very welcome, and very rare.

Thanks for the thorough and candid explanation for your decisions. I'm a lifetime premium member and hence don't think much of this really applies to me personally, but the Nexus is one of the few "must visit" sites on the web and anything that keeps it going, growing, and productive helps us all.

You most certainly have my support.

... I know that all this talk of incentivisation through bandwidth throttling has a few gaping holes in the plan. What if ... 1MB/sec download speeds are a dream to you? All this talk is pretty pointless huh? Yeah, it is. Sorry about that.

Yeah, that's me. :confused:

But I still signed-up as a Lifetime Premium member because The Nexus Is Worth It!

Thx Dark0ne :thumbsup:

I'm glad you made this blog, after reading the one you posted the other day I meant to turn my adblock off and forgot! It is off now!!

I will at some point be getting a premium account (hopefully lifetime, but moneys tight so...) but when I do I'd be happy for there to be a switch to leave the adds on myself!

As for the endorsments, hmm, not too sure on that one. I know it'd probably be a pain, buuut, how about having a checker on the NMM that watches which maods are installed all the time and auto-endorses after say, 30 days if used every time the game is played?