Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

Guessin these site skin ads aren't implemented yet, since I don't see a way to turn them on. And yes, I mean 'on'- I'd love to throw some money at the Nexus in return for all the happy Bethesda modding it's provided over the years, but I'd need some money to throw first. In the meantime, definitely disabling AdBlock for the Nexus.

Will keep an eye out for the endorsement thing too- the 'abstain from endorsing' thing is an interesting idea. And moar bandwidth is like moar bacon- ALWAYS a good thing.

Edited by DJZephyr

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said. Thank you for allowing us to be in the loop of what your thinking and for where the site is going. Some companies do it and I think its a rare honesty to share with your "customers" like your doing. I wasnt a paying member until I read your last article and it helped me to see what you guys are dealing with. This is a service that to me is worth my money. Its a membership of a community that I think 98% of us really want to be in touch with, as strangers, as friends, fellow gamers and as artists who share their work and imagination.

Thats worth giving.

Just want to throw in my vote for actually lowering the basic speeds. If you don't support the site I'd say 500kb/s is more than enough. I know it's 2013 but some folks are still on speeds that can't meet that limit anyway.

Lower the basic speeds, even if just to make people donate a quid for supporter membership. Like you said it works in the long run :)

I do use AdBlock Plus for Firefox myself, however it has rule sets, and you are able to set it so that it still displays the ad - but you don't actually see it by the way. I do that here, but on most sites I don't bother - because I don't visit many sites on the web, just this one and the RCRN website. Sites that I visit are the ones I try to set up correctly with AdBlock Plus and I also use tools that allow me to edit how a site looks, for my own personal viewing.

I also have software on my computer to prevent ads from installing anything on my computer, or placing cookies on my computer, or allow some sites to place cookies on my computer - and I manage it intelligently for the sites I visit as well. I have wanted to pay for a premium for this site for a long time, however - since my issues with PayPal hasn't been resolved yet - and that's the only way you provide the service to be purchased - I am not able to become one - but I do want to.

So I'm hoping in the future you will have other options on paying for a premium. I don't know when my issue with PayPal will be resolved - the staff have not been very helpful since the issue arose and it began about 4 years ago or so and I'm still stuck. I have an account but it won't allow me to apply my bank account to it, and won't let me use it without it.

Edited by ramakgaming

So um what I'm understanding is that if I don't endorse a mod immediately after downloading it I'm abstaining it? Or is there like a time limit before its counted against me? I just don't see endorsements as this huge deal like likes on facebook and stuff. Granted I do do them, but what I'm saying is they aren't high priority for me since I've got other things that usually are. I'll get around to it if I like the mod enough. Sorry if my word choice is a bit confusing. I'm not good with words.

After couple of years of downloading mods from these sites, Morrowind, Oblvion, Fallout 3/NV and Skyrim now, I really thougth I owe you guys something.

I have checked how many hours I have spent in these games thanks to mods from here and it is worth more than several new average single player games.

From this perspective the lifetime membership is a bargain.

Very interesting post, as were all the rest. Having been using the nexus sites for the last 4 years I really want to thank you Dark0ne (and the nexus staff too) for the incredible experience I had and I'm still having. I really have great respect for the effort you put in building this community.

Even if premium membership wouldn't give me any benefits, as my maximum download speed is 90 KB/sec (yes. 90), I'm seriously considering getting premium membership to support the sites (or at the very least the supporter status when it'll become available) . This shows how being awesome to you users is worth.

(oh and of course thanks for reminding me to check on my adBlocker exceptions)

Thank you! I always feel bad for blocking the ads on this site, and I usually do unblock on sites I support, but nexus has had these super obnoxious video ads that I just can't abide. I'm glad I can finally start repaying the site without compromising my own experience, even strapped for cash as I am!