Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

Well, It looks like a nice addition, even if I won't be able to use it properly [if I have the right to download at 1mbps, then that means I'd be able to use my incredible 15kbps speed to its fullness, with or without speed boost.

I certainly tend to rate my mods, but I admit I forget to rate some of them, because they seem to only be actually good over time. If the endorse/abstain option is changeable, like the "endorse/unendorse" is, then I think everything is going to be fine.

Now, if only I had better bandwidth...

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disabling AdBlock on Skyrim Nexus. I'd already disabled it on other Nexus sites I use, but for whatever reason or lack thereof, hadn't done it for Skyrim Nexus yet. Shame on me.

@Kainschilde209: you could always make the endoresments something the modder does, like a modder can endorse the comment to say it was useful and if you get x many comments endorsed by modders then you get the 250Kb boost instead of by how many endorsements you make. That would probably overload the servers keeping track of all this negating the positive effect for Dark0ne though..... Just a thougt from my crazy mind though.

First, I always keep ads up.. I feel out of the loop of life if I don't see the newest and greatest crap people are trying to sell me :) sadly no joke.

Second, I'm not sure how I feel about the endorsement system changing. Let me try and explain why quick. When you look at a mod as an author you have posted ( exp new mods ) the endorsements you see rolling in for one, tells you the mod is working and you’re not leaving any users hanging. And also lets you know that users took the time to come back and rate your mod, with no other incentives but respect and appreciation for the author.

I could however see maybe something like what eBay does with feedback maybe working well on the Nexus. For example, you buy an item on eBay and after a few days when you purchase something else you get reminded that you have an item you have purchased in queue for needed feedback. So maybe with Nexus it can be triggered when you download your next file.. for example, I click on SkyUI and if I have downloaded other mods a couple hours before and have not rated them. then I will get a pop up reminder before the new download reminding me I have mods that are not rated yet then asking me right then and there if I endorse the file or not.

Last if you download a bunch of mods and never endorse any then its simple. Get Skynet to steal their lunch money.

Totally gonna be getting supporter status (at least). Also, I think there should be an option to still display ads (maybe just the site skin one...) even if you are a supporter or a premium member and for no other reason than to support the site.

I doesn't use adblocker, but a script blocker that is nearly the same, because all adds use scripting today. And i doesn't trust even nexus as much as i could unblock adds here, as we already saw it with the google-malware-warning today.

That doesn't mean i don't trust the nexus and if you had ads on your site from your server i would happily unblock them, but to allow ads today is simply too dangerous, as long as most ads use flash.

In regards to endorsements why not make NMM automaticialy ask or remind users to endorse files whenever it loads up? This would work with Skyrim very well and NV/F03 pretty well too.

I may be in a minority, but I do not use NMM. The utility I use has worked as long as I've played and continues to do exactly what I ask of it so I see no reason to change. Use NMM or not is a choice, yes, but would come across like Microsoft making Windows work better only if the user uses Internet Explorer. What I would propose, which of course adds more work all around, but I think it would work out better for everyone in the long run and kill two birds with one stone is this: Add an extra field to the tracking screen for whether or not a mod has been endorsed/abstained much like you would see an Ebay listing you have yet to post feedback for. Whether or not automatically adding a mod to a user's tracking list would be optional - I have no opinion on that to share. At the same time, the option to stop tracking a mod could be added to the tracking page instead of a separate removal page.

In all honesty I hardly notice the ads on the Nexus, though some do catch my eye from time to time. I've been socking aside some funds to purchase a lifetime membership myself and don't care if the ads remain once I've purchased it. Is there an option for premium members to keep ads enabled to help with these ppm ads after contributing?

As always, thanks for the Nexus and ALL who make it the awesome community that it is. A community I'm proud to consider myself a part of.

Edit: Heh, ninja'd on all my points. I hear ya, Rez, without the ads I'd have nothing to talk to the kids about.

Edited by Brigand231