Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I read of this "good or crap" filtering nonsense, top mods, high-ranking, endorsements and other such meaningless junk statistics, the less I feel like sharing anymore. Just keep it coming.

I really think that people are just offering ideas about how the Nexus can make money....and perhaps show some frustrations in trying to find...in the thousands of mods on this site...things that are new and interesting...but perhaps not the type of thing that comes up on the hot files daily.

I think its pretty safe to say that we aren't going to offer a good mod/crap mod list anytime in the future.:biggrin:

Now that I have gotten this off topic enough...back to the Nexus Funds issues.

I am sure if we would like to discuss this further a thread can be made for it.

A system where you could make donations on a recurring monthly basis might be an idea, I do this already with a charity. Something like £5 a month wouldn't be noticed by a lot of people, I know it could I could do it now manually every month but I also know I'd forget to do it.

The more I read of this "good or crap" filtering nonsense, top mods, high-ranking, endorsements and other such meaningless junk statistics, the less I feel like sharing anymore. Just keep it coming.

I really think that people are just offering ideas about how the Nexus can make money....and perhaps show some frustrations in trying to find...in the thousands of mods on this site...things that are new and interesting...but perhaps not the type of thing that comes up on the hot files daily.

I think its pretty safe to say that we aren't going to offer a good mod/crap mod list anytime in the future.:biggrin:

Now that I have gotten this off topic enough...back to the Nexus Funds issues.

I am sure if we would like to discuss this further a thread can be made for it.

Why not? I'd love to see the "Hot Crap" list.

Also the site could REALLY do with a better system of sorting the crap from the good,maybe have a premium modders section for a small one off fee or whatever the top modders get a special section separate from free up loaders,so people can go straight to the page with all the great stuff and bypass the 80% junk that we have to look through atm.

No, no No and NO!

That's back to an 'Us and Them' mentality.

The saying goes 'One man's junk is another man's treasure'

In other words, what may be crap to YOU, is something AWESOME to someone else.

Why do you think EBAY and Yard Sales exist?

It seems whenever a thread like this pops up, there are people who use the opportunity to make suggestions that would divide/segregate the community into different

classes/communities etc etc...

Where does this come from?

If you start to have a committee that votes on 'what mods are crap and which ones aren't' because they could never live up to your

its not hard to say whats good or crap,modders who constantly get good praise ,high endorsements, high ranking work get a separate section,everything else

I'm REALLY finding the suggestions in these threads about splitting the community into separate classes based on who Pays Money, who 'contributes',

who uploads crap vs who uploads 'good mods' EXTREMELY disheartening and actually DISTURBING...

dao brought me here, and has been a leecher since then. What I regret is that I never give endorsement to the mod I've downloaded, and I can't afford to become a premium member (I could but there are too many arrows in my knee right now) and this news is like the fresh air for me, because I can help nexus this way..

I will definitely be making a financial contribution to this great site. I have also added a rule to my adblocker to allow ads to be shown by this site.

I found the article to be very educational (on how things work here) but alas, I am not in a position to financially support the site at the moment. Its important to support sites like this one that offer such great things for all of us!

Great Job Nexus, Staff and Modders!

The problem with "good or crap" is that it is almost always defined as either:

1/ Most downloads - even disregarding the Justin Bieber effect where crap floats to the top, this creates a self-reinforcing loop where mods that have lots of downloads and end up in some top list will only get more downloads. After a while, all other mods get shut out. This sort of thing ruined Starcraft II custom game modes.

2/ Player rating - this works well once the law of large numbers kicks in, but it is vulnerable to downvotes at the start. The Steam Workshop suffers heavily from this problem; if your mod has a bug or balance issue in version 1.00 you are boned because people are much more eager to downvote than to actually tell you about it and by the time you fix it (even just one day later) the mod will have 2/5 and no one will ever download it again.

It sounds to me like Robin has thought long and hard about these changes, in order to come up with a system that is as fair as possible to all parties. To me it seems self-evident that those who contribute, whether directly or indirectly, should see some added benefit over those who don't, while still keeping the site useful for the freeloaders. If the changes set out above turn out as planned, I think they'll be a benefit to all.

As far as sorting the gold from the manure goes, I think it's largely a matter of laziness. What people seem to want is a method that is instantaneous and involves no work on their part, such as a separate section where only super-duper, we-can-do-no-wrong-ever, elite mod-gods can upload.

Well, that's total bull manure. The introduction of that kind of apartheid policy on Nexus would not only be the start of the proverbial slippery slope, it could be a well-deserved first nail in the network's coffin.

The alternative is the advanced search function, as explained by moderator Lisnpuppy a couple of pages ago:

"The advance search function is a wonderful thing. This is a way to type in keywords from the mod descriptions not just the name of the mod. This helps a great deal especially when you can also specify the mod category (example: armours) at the same time limit the period when the mod was uploaded, updated dates and may other variables".

Sadly this requires both (shock!) a little work and (horror!) a little thought, but honestly - that isn't actually such an awful, awful thing.