Resource Query, part 2

BlueSteelRanger

@Pellape: OHHH! I get it. CM Partners sounds a bit like one of those "Essential" things one should have, yes? I'll definitely check it out. Sorry if I sounded strange. My sleep pattern has gotten completely turned upside down because of this COVID thing, so my brain is just being a fuzzy dork.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are not alone. I go to bed at 10:00 and that is European 24h clock, which means 10am for none Europeans... I woke up 17:00

Yes, CM Partners is very Essential if you wanna get a perfect companion like COBL is essential if you do not want to make your own sorters or invent all nice food it provides. Food and drinks is important to me for immersion and my companions and staff. Food and dealing with food and drinks in scripts, is something I did for 30-40% if we look at where I do spend all the time with + nice displays for weapons. I learned a lot by dealing with bottles in scripts, not only about the bottles, but also about transferring stuff from containers to the open world as they then change from being objects to becoming references.

I did a test now, making a 7z file instead of zip. My mod is 250 Mb zipped and 170 Mb 7zipped. Its a huge difference but it also took 4 times longer time to pack it.

Edited by Pellape

I do not understand why I put so much work into companions really, I seldom use them as they are in the way and my char can deal with most threats without them. Well I do use a Mountain Lion at this comp and a dachshund at my game comp in my own flat, a custom made small tiny dachshund, that is deadly and edited some as it is useless if it only have 20 HP and mostly not in the way and so is my rooster I use in emergencies.

So how much HP does my dachshund have all together? Well 2000 only... :wink: The Lion has 1600 - The rooster? I forgot but he has more attack and can kill dragons if needed.

Companions? Well when I get home, I do like to see them doing stuff anyway and I do look forward to expanding it, making it as immersive and fun as possible. It is like having an aquarium which is so pointless, but if you sit down and just watch the fishes, the time flies away - Maybe it is some kind of yoga or trans state or does our 4th or 6th brain layer getting activated?? My favorite museum in Gothenburg is after all our maritime history museum that has a BIG aquarium section at the entrance floor and all nice models and old stuff at floor 2 and 3. It had our most famous crocodile as well, called Smiley who is now dead. Everyone here did know Smiley and it was the top of the day to see him... To see if he was alive at all... :wink: He never moved an inch... So damn boring animal really.

Edited by Pellape

@Pellape: "You are not alone. I go to bed at 10:00 and that is European 24h clock, which means 10am for none Europeans... I woke up 17:00"

...I literally just pulled something like that today. I didn't wake until 22:00h! ....I really should crawl to bed and try my lavender-chamomile tea again. Perhaps that will help set things back on track.

COBL? Does it work with OBSE and the Deluxe version of Oblivion? (Sadly I do not have ALL of Oblivion's DLC's. A pity really, since apparently one cannot download them individually). I'm an immersion freak myself -- when Skyrim worked for me, I HAD to have things like Chesko's "Frostfall", "Realistic Needs and Diseases" (or "iNeed").

As of now, even without a companion, my player home is ready to share. It's path-gridded and everything for followers.

My own personal choice for "house companions" is those very same NPCs you meet on the roads and in dungeons. After I've "made friends" (I am well versed in the options available via the console) I get them to follow me to whichever cell I want them in (not always one of the vanilla/mod added houses ... I've "taken over" any Ayleid ruins I visit regularly).

Now the true magic of the "Striker method".

Normally any bandit/marauder/conjurer/necromancer will just walk back to their spawn location once I dismiss them from following but if I save, exit and then load that save while they are still following and then dismiss them from following their current cell becomes their new "editor location".

So the next hurtle is that once the cell resets they'll be "cleaned up" by the game (i.e. get deleted) but good old shadeMe comes to the rescue with SPAWN. I have player owned cells and Ayleid ruins set to a fairly long time between resetting (plus those cells are switched back to vanilla behavior for the cell reset counter) so all I need to do is stop by for a visit once in a while and my gang is still there.

I like your fish tank analogy Pekka ... very accurate.

Cool. Yes COBL was developed by Wrye to be a base package and that is how Wrye work I guess, to make the life easier for us all. I do think his mod manager also was the first that was made and it was his idea in the first place.

Making a house without COBL is pointless I think. I will show a tiny example where COBL is used in a tiny house I used to use and that house also gave me inspiration to make my own as it is to tiny for even 1 companion, but it has all base tools and I asked the author if I could use them and got permission.

The biggest benefit with COBL which stands for: Common Oblivion, is the brilliant alchemy sorter which is the fastest one I ever used. We did make sorters 16 years ago already, but never a brilliant and smart one like this. When you will get items out of it, you can choose to get ingredients that has specific effects. It doesn't end with ingredients as it also store potions and you can also make the same choice with them, grabbing only heal potions or potions that has this and that effect. So brilliant. When we made sorters last decenium, we used one container for each ingredient but Wrye thinks and solve stuff much smarter and no wonder - He is a genious. Wrye Bash works for all Bethesda games so therefor he moved his support to Discord and he answers questions within 24h. I asked him if he had my old mod he did recommend others to use, which is no longer available and he made a huge search though his drives and said he was sorry, he did not have it. :D Talk about support... :wink: He could just said: Piss off :D That is Wrye. I am so impressed.

Striker: So damn cool :D My 7th layer is working so damn hard, always, so that's is one way I can slow layer 7 down and relax it. :wink: I asked my GF about this and she can turn off layer 7 when ever she wants without problems... Odd... Very odd... But that's the way it is... It drives the ideas forward and also give me new ideas all the time. I also use it for music. Listen to music has different effects on different layers in the other hand.

Edited by Pellape

@Pellape: I've never even been to any part of Europe yet (I want to travel when the chance arises) but even I have heard of Smiley. :sad: I remember when his passing made headlines.

Hmm. Mine is currently without COBL. Is it possible to get COBL and modify the place once I get it?

I haven't tried that myself with any of my edited vanilla houses that I've "taken over" (e.g. Agarmir's house in the Imperial City after the Unfriendly Competion quest is finished) but I do know that most of Emma's houses (e.g. Aleswell Cottage ver 4_1 and Leyawiin Lake House) come as COBL versions or non-COBL versions (that are otherwise identical). Maintaining COBL and non-COBL versions just adds an extra layer of complexity to updates.